Turn on thread page Beta

Pupils complaining about "Unfair" exam paper watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    You weren't persecuted by the Nazis, therefore you have no say in the matter. What gives you the right to say they were wrong?

It's called an opinion for a reason, and everyone's entitled to one regardless of how relevant the story is to them.
    I have a right to say they were wrong because they are responsible for the death of millions of (in my eyes) innocent people.

How on earth can you compare the two you ******* idiot.

genocide =/= poorly written exam

Genocide is morally wrong
    There is nothing morally wrong with complaining about an unfair exam

go away stop wasting my time

A friend of mine, who studied about 5 hours a day in the library for this exam, was pretty disappointed after the exam. :|
    I think if so many people complained, there must be some truth in it - there's no smoke without fire, right?
    I don't think AQA will do much really, perhaps lower the grade boundaries...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    they wouldn't be upping their independant learning as we had to do the same thing
    That's not so true in my opinion. You may have learned independently a lot more than most, and that's admirable of you, but you didn't 'have' to. I did hardly any independent learning whatsoever and got a high grade, so acheiving well on the exam was not based on the amount of outside reading you chose to do or not. From the sounds of it, this exam was more dependent on independent learning than what was actually taught.

Sorry if my experience was different to yours, I don't mean to offend - I just had to do pretty much no independent learning in my A levels to do well, so I don't believe it's 'necessary'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    I was rejected before my results.
    Yes well done people do generally tend to receive rejections/offers before they receive their results.

What is the alternative? I do not know of any other way that the university system works.

ReputationRep:
    I have a UKCAT of 665. and now an offer!
    Well you didn't the year you got REJECTED did you?

ReputationRep:
    The reason that the A2 papers have been made so difficult, is that all the exam boards want only the very best candidates achieving the top A* grades in the subject. Obviously, they won't achieve this by repeating the same questions, and putting content in the paper candidates can just regurgitate from past mark schemes, they want you to apply knowledge, and problem solve. This is what AQA did, and obviously the very best candidates will excel and achieve the very high UMS marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    sooo you didn't go to the exam board website, print off the specification, get textbooks out, speak to your head of department, organise small study sessions and liase with other geography teachers in the mean time, when there was clearly a problem...?
    You are an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar problem with Theatre AS last year, they changed what was an A grade for performance to a low C. To make such drastic changed in papers/marking is unfair as it makes applicants less competitive to students applying from the previous year. If they're going to make the exams harder they should make the content and standard of work in lessons harder rather than just the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    If i'm correct, i remember i needed to have atleast a C in gcse maths to have done a science at my school, surely the a-level paper is assuming you have basic knowledge of data handling? You just need to use the information given to you about the graph and suggest a reason why a conclusion may have been made- it's not rocket science and nothing new to what you should have done in practicals
    I think you misunderstood my post. I was just saying I found the time constraints a problem so I didn't have time to read the information given about the graph. Surely you must realise that it takes longer to process and formulate a response to unfamiliar material such as bubble graphs and hair tubes, regardless of your proficiency in data handling? I never said I was incapable of it. I also said I think all this protesting is ridiculous or something to that effect.

(Original post by Evil Monkey)
    It probably isn't, the generally poor marks will lower the grade boundaries.

However, when the uni you end up at can be determined by the results of these exams, would you really want to
    sit there just hoping they'd be nice?
    Well, I did do the exam, the uni I end up at will be determined by the results, and I am just sitting here hoping they'll be nice. If not, there's resits, but yea I'm anticipating low grade boundaries.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by mrsdocherty)
    Well you didn't the year you got REJECTED did you?

But my rejections had nothing to do with my a levels.

So you point fails.

ReputationRep:
    Having done biology just before the spec change and having a look at this exam just now I though it looked good. Some of the questions you can 'freestyle' as you don't need to remember much just explain graphs and suggest things and its mostly on ecology which I quiet liked.

I also remember doing exams which people thought they were nothing like past papers I also remember talking to a teacher one year about a test where no one got an A and in ICT where most people ended up with lower grades. Seems now with facebook people can complain in one voice.

This isnt the first time people havnt liked/ been surprised by an exam paper :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    For the 10000000th time, the problem is NOT the difficulty of the exam. The problem with the exam is its relevance to Biology as a subject. So will people stop saying "Oh well what do you expect, It's A2" because that's just not the issue! And will people who did not even take the exam just stop trying to stir up trouble! Thousands of students questioning the exam can't all be wrong, we're A2 Biology students so it's not like we're stupid or incapable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twilliams224)
    The whole idea of A levels is to promote independent thinking therefore the exam paper is not going to be exactly what you have been learning because they want you to apply your knowledge to a different situation. At GCSE science you can jsut remember everything and it is simply a test of memory but A levels are set out to be different hence why this exam was the way it was.
    What?

The exam board said they didn't need to know about a particular subject for that exam as it wouldn't come up. Then it did.

You are not going to learn something for an exam that you don't need to know, those who say you do are lying (or idiots).

ReputationRep:

So you point fails.

Your rejection has nothing to do with your a levels?

If that is the case the following statement is valid:

"The pope has nothing to do with Christianity"

ReputationRep:

So you point fails.
    And so does your spelling mate. How can your academics have nothing to do with your rejections, did they not like the sound of your name on the PS or something?

ReputationRep:
    For the 10000000th time, the problem is NOT the difficulty of the exam. The problem with the exam is its relevance to Biology as a subject. So will people stop saying "Oh well what do you expect, It's A2" because that's just not the issue! And will people who did not even take the exam just stop trying to stir up trouble! Thousands of students questioning the exam can't all be wrong, we're A2 Biology students so it's not like we're stupid or incapable.

Yes it is relevant to biology lol .... Cant believe you said that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LowRider)
    Yes it is relevant to biology lol .... Cant believe you said that.
    Not really, you said yourself some of the questions can be 'freestyled' which is the exact problem. Someone who is unprepared would have an equal chance at getting the majority of the exam paper right as someone like me who worked incredibly hard for 6 months!

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I took A level Biology a year early, and we had a whole seperate synoptic paper, which was basically, just very random graphs and situations, experiments, none of which was particulary relevant to what we had studied. With the new A2 spec, they've stopped doing synoptic papers in subjects, so it has to be incorporated into the unit papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Actually, I took A level Biology a year early, and we had a whole seperate synoptic paper, which was basically, just very random graphs and situations, experiments, none of which was particulary relevant to what we had studied. With the new A2 spec, they've stopped doing synoptic papers in subjects, so it has to be incorporated into the unit papers.
    Actually that's wrong. Our synoptic paper is adjoined to the Unit 5 paper we sit in the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, you said yourself some of the questions can be 'freestyled' which is the exact problem. Someone who is unprepared would have an equal chance at getting the majority of the exam paper right as someone like me who worked incredibly hard for 6 months!
    If you look at any exam from biology or many other subjects there will be questions someone who hasn't done the subject can answer by looking at the it and analysing.

You've worked hard for 6 months but saying it (the paper) isnt relevant to biology is stupid. If what youre saying is correct all papers going back for years are not relevant and you who has been studying 'hard for 6 months' are correct and everyone else including people those who have studied this at university have written a non biology exam. :yep:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.