Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

Few facts:
    - have applied for a Mphil in IR at oxford
    - already got into MSc IR theory in LSE (first choice)
    - have read IR at LSE for three years and really loved it
    - have three very good references (one from Pr Chris Brown, one from a lecturer for whom I am working, one from a class teacher)
    - submitted two strong essays (marks: 76 and 73)
    - PS is apparently excellent
    - research assistant at LSE in int politics
    - additional work experience in microfinance (development) and consulting (deloitte)
    - BUT I'm expecting a rather average 2:1 (got 68, 67, 64 and a 62 (sociology) in first year, and 66, 65, 66 and 61 (history of the arab-israeli conflict) in second year)

I have excellent marks in essays during the year but am just absolutely unable to overcome my stress during exams hence the 2:1 (which I would be perfectly happy with if I was not applying for such a competitive masters at Oxford). Now, I know that it is absolutely lame to ask such a question since I have already applied but I was wondering if I had the remotest chance to get an offer.

Again, I feel rather silly since I have already applied but I just can't help thinking about it all the time and would be rather relieved if someone a bit knowledgeable could tell me whether or not an average of 65 definitely isn't enough to hope getting into oxford. I think that most people can understand this weird feeling when you try to convince yourself that you will not get in in order not to be disappointed but that at the same time you just can't stop hoping. ANYWAY, I hope that some people will be able to help me out and, if not, then I will try to go back to being a rational individual on my own

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simsaladim)
    Hey everyone,

Few facts:
    - have applied for a Mphil in IR at oxford
    - already got into MSc IR theory in LSE (first choice)
    - have read IR at LSE for three years and really loved it
    - have three very good references (one from Pr Chris Brown, one from a lecturer for whom I am working, one from a class teacher)
    - submitted two strong essays (marks: 76 and 73)
    - PS is apparently excellent
    - research assistant at LSE in int politics
    - additional work experience in microfinance (development) and consulting (deloitte)
    - BUT I'm expecting a rather average 2:1 (got 68, 67, 64 and a 62 (sociology) in first year, and 66, 65, 66 and 61 (history of the arab-israeli conflict) in second year)

I have excellent marks in essays during the year but am just absolutely unable to overcome my stress during exams hence the 2:1 (which I would be perfectly happy with if I was not applying for such a competitive masters at Oxford). Now, I know that it is absolutely lame to ask such a question since I have already applied but I was wondering if I had the remotest chance to get an offer.

Again, I feel rather silly since I have already applied but I just can't help thinking about it all the time and would be rather relieved if someone a bit knowledgeable could tell me whether or not an average of 65 definitely isn't enough to hope getting into oxford. I think that most people can understand this weird feeling when you try to convince yourself that you will not get in in order not to be disappointed but that at the same time you just can't stop hoping. ANYWAY, I hope that some people will be able to help me out and, if not, then I will try to go back to being a rational individual on my own

Thanks.
    The usual response is that the cut-mark is around 67-68. However, others will say that for a course as competitive as the IR in Oxford you might need a first.

Having said that, the fact that you have excellent references and especially someone quite famous who might know people there, as well as the strong essays will count in your favour.

I guess in the end it all depends if they operate a strict cut with regards to the marks or if they leave some leway (given the highly competitive nature of the course)

One thing to bear in mind, however, is that they might make you an offer at First

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crackingod)
    One thing to bear in mind, however, is that they might make you an offer at First
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmn002)
    Out of curiosity, what do you mean by this?
    Conditional on graduating with first class honours?
    Sorry if it wasn't too clear!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.