Turn on thread page Beta

We have been together 7 months and she doesn't know I suffer from depression.

I'm not going to make excuses but I suffer from depression. I have not wanted to go out recently because of it and she confronted me about, by just shouting and putting me down. Anyway I tried to sit her down and explain my reasons but got that I wasn't depressed (I'm diagnosed by a doctor) and that even if I was I should get over myself.

Anyway to put it frank I snapped, punched her in the jaw before putting a hole in my door. I have never been aggressive before to her or anyone really and I had been totally calm up until that point but it seriously hurt me what she said. Anyway she left crying and I thought I would give her time to call down and then ring her to apologise and she said we could talk tomorrow.

Hate me, curse me, what I did was wrong... But I don't know if I should not bother and just let her be able to find someone who isn't such a psycho, what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Well she sounds like a *****. Leave it a few days for you both to calm down, and phone her. See what she wants to do. You're not a psycho for hitting her once. Just give her a few days.

ReputationRep:
    Dude :zomg: punching a girl in the jaw? what in the blue hell were you thinking :confused: this isn't a tyson fight, punching in the jaw? :no: poor girl. If she has any sense she'll dump you so it's irrelevant whether you want to bother or let her be.

If however she buys into your depression problem and forgives you then you should do yourselves a favour by letting her be...it happened once there's every chance it could happen again, especially seeing as you say you've got depression implying it's uncontrollable or something - so you're not really in a position to promise it won't happen again.

ReputationRep:
    what is going on with these threads :O:

but seriously...no excuse...should never have done it...if she wants to leave..let her

ReputationRep:
    This story sounds oddly familiar

:holmes:

Nonetheless, I give you a 3/10 for effort, keep up the good work troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I'm not going to make excuses but I suffer from depression. I have not wanted to go out recently because of it and she confronted me about, by just shouting and putting me down. Anyway I tried to sit her down and explain my reasons but got that I wasn't depressed (I'm diagnosed by a doctor) and that even if I was I should get over myself.

Anyway to put it frank I snapped, punched her in the jaw before putting a hole in my door. I have never been aggressive before to her or anyone really and I had been totally calm up until that point but it seriously hurt me what she said. Anyway she left crying and I thought I would give her time to call down and then ring her to apologise and she said we could talk tomorrow.

Hate me, curse me, what I did was wrong... But I don't know if I should not bother and just let her be able to find someone who isn't such a psycho, what do you think?
    Depression isn't funny. The bold however, is.

(Original post by Nico_SU)
    Depression isn't funny. The bold however, is.
    It's not an excuse, thats the reason we had the argument so I had to put it in.

ReputationRep:
    Bearing in mind that you are diagnosed by a doctor as basically not being right in the head then punching your girlfriend in the face, I reckon she ought to skidaddle pretty sharpish. You, on the other hand are a disgrace.

Tough one. What you did was NOT okay, and you know that, but at the same time she doesn't seem emotionally ready to handle someone with depression in her life.

If she wants to go, let her. If she forgives you and accepts that she needs to understand your condition, then maybe you can work something out.

I nearly throttled my boyfriend last night. I actually had my hands on his throat. I was sad and angry and I stopped behaving like a human being. So I understand how you feel. My boyfriend forgave me immediately, but I think the context was different and we are very different people to you and your girlfriend. That, plus the stigma associated with men hitting women and it doesn't look good.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Apologise and work on doing other things when you are angry. She needs to be able to trust you again as a person and as her boyfriend, be prepared for the fact that she may not want to be involved with you or if she does there may well be consequences or rules.

Slam a door, walk away, count to 100 but don't attack another person (male or female).
    You should be her number one protector not her number one aggressor.

Are you likely to do it again? It almost sounds like you think you are or that it could happen again, work on your anger management and different ways of communicating or expressing yourself without resorting to violence.

This is the first time so think about why it happened and what you are going to do about it. What are you going to do to prevent it happening again and from lashing out against someone who cares and vice versa.

(Original post by Stalin)
    This story sounds oddly familiar

:holmes:

Nonetheless, I give you a 3/10 for effort, keep up the good work troll.
    I don't know about the others but i'm not trolling.

ReputationRep:
    C-c-c-combo Breaker?

ReputationRep:
    she does sound annoying, she will no doubt dump you, she might not answer calls or texts so leave it and let it be,

depression isn't an excuse whether it is diagnosed or not. its all in the head

ReputationRep:
    Mate you're a psycho - you assaulted a woman for ***** sake, and your girlfriend no less. If she doesn't have the gutts to break up with you, man up and do it for her. There is no excuse for violence like that.

(Original post by steeler4life)
    Well she sounds like a *****. Leave it a few days for you both to calm down, and phone her. See what she wants to do. You're not a psycho for hitting her once. Just give her a few days.
    Once is one too many times. No real man would hit a woman for any reason other than self defence. Makes me worry what kind of bull people are willing to put up with.

(Original post by Jayjayjay)
    Apologise and work on doing other things when you are angry. She needs to be able to trust you again as a person and as her boyfriend, be prepared for the fact that she may not want to be involved with you or if she does there may well be consequences or rules.

Slam a door, walk away, count to 100 but don't attack another person (male or female).
    You should be her number one protector not her number one aggressor.

Are you likely to do it again? It almost sounds like you think you are or that it could happen again, work on your anger management and different ways of communicating or expressing yourself without resorting to violence.

This is the first time so think about why it happened and what you are going to do about it. What are you going to do to prevent it happening again and from lashing out against someone who cares and vice versa.
    If she wants to not see me again then thats my own fault and I will accept it. I'm not an angry person and I usually just make a joke if I find something annoying and let it go.

But for someone, anyone no matter if its her or a random stranger, to tell me what I do or do not think in my brain and the suicidal thoughts I have had I have made up is like telling someone "ah get over it" when there mum has just died.

While my response was not right at all and something I will need to possibly sort out, I am not the person to be violent unless you go 100 miles across the line.

A closed fist punch to the head? that's not just lashing out. A slap or a push or just lashing out with a hand, even throwing something, could MAYBE be put down to losing control and POSSIBLY be forgiven, eventually. But actually making a fist and hitting someone in the face takes a lot.

Let her go, and sort yourself out.

ReputationRep:

Ok well I think it's part her fault and partly your fault too. However, you should let her calm down and then try and talk to her properly (if she'll let you) but perhaps you should visit your doctor again because your depression must be escalating if this has never happened before.

ReputationRep:
    Hitting her was terrible as you know but i think mentally abusing someone is just as bad and she is potentially more nasty. I don't think you should bother with her and she probably feels the same about you so best to leave it in my opinion

(Original post by Ham22)
    how do you know you won't do this again, now you've started.
    No one can predict the future, I don't know as much as the next person.

like telling someone "ah get over it" when there mum has just died.
    I hope you realise, that this still wouldn't be a reason to punch your girlfriend in the head. By all means shout and swear at her... even physically throw her out on her arse if she's that much of a ****... but nothing warrants a full on punch except, like someone said, self defense. And even then only if she's coming at you with a weapon .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.