Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Jelkin)
    But you blamed what you did on your depression and the fact that she made you really angry, neither of which you can control. Who's to say she won't make you really angry again, about that or something else? In fact, she probably will at some point. From your logic, no one can ever promise anything about the future. Marriage is false from the get-go, no one can really swear on the truth in court, etc.

The "knowledge" that my boyfriend won't hit me comes from his past behaviour and his general attitude towards me, so when he promises he wouldn't, I believe him. Fine, if we're going away from promises, how certain can you be that you wouldn't do it again? I am 99.99999(etc)% certain that my boyfriend would never hit me in anger. Would your girlfriend be able to say the same?

I'm not trying to be cruel, I'm just trying to point out that it might be better if you focus on your problems rather than trying to conduct a relationship with someone (particularly someone who has no respect for your condition).
    I never blamed it on depression? Thats just what everyone has been like "Your just blaming it on depression" when I have never said that, which is why im not bothering with half the replies. I had to mention it because it was part of why we were arguing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We have been together 7 months and she doesn't know I suffer from depression.

I'm not going to make excuses but I suffer from depression. I have not wanted to go out recently because of it and she confronted me about, by just shouting and putting me down. Anyway I tried to sit her down and explain my reasons but got that I wasn't depressed (I'm diagnosed by a doctor) and that even if I was I should get over myself.

Anyway to put it frank I snapped, punched her in the jaw before putting a hole in my door. I have never been aggressive before to her or anyone really and I had been totally calm up until that point but it seriously hurt me what she said. Anyway she left crying and I thought I would give her time to call down and then ring her to apologise and she said we could talk tomorrow.

Hate me, curse me, what I did was wrong... But I don't know if I should not bother and just let her be able to find someone who isn't such a psycho, what do you think?
    youre a coward of a man.. say sorry to her apologise make her feel better and leave and be by yourself...

(Original post by analk)
    youre a coward of a man.. say sorry to her apologise make her feel better and leave and be by yourself...
    lmao, oh if this had been a girl we would so have not had these responses.

ReputationRep:
    You're both in the wrong as far as I can tell. If she doesnt understand you're depressed then she obviously isn't a very nice person. However hitting a woman is never right, as other people have mentioned hit a pillow or whatever, learn to find an alternative to take out your temper if you lose it. If she wants to leave you'll just have to let her, it may have been a one time mistake but you can't say you don't deserve it.

I've been depressed myself and done some things I regret like having a go at friends when they don't deserve it. Get yourself to a professional, I did it and although at the time I didnt think I was doing anything wrong it's clear to me now that I was. It could be the same for you but hitting a woman like I said is going too far, you need to make some changes.

Get professional help!
    Apologise!
    Don't do it again if she gives you another chance!

ReputationRep:
    Anyway to put it frank I snapped, punched her in the jaw before putting a hole in my door. I have never been aggressive before to her or anyone really and I had been totally calm up until that point but it seriously hurt me what she said. Anyway she left crying and I thought I would give her time to call down and then ring her to apologise and she said we could talk tomorrow.
    No excuse for hitting your partner. I'm usually very sympathetic towards people with depression but thats too far.

That said, I think you need a partner who you can trust enough and confide in about your depression. You don't sound like you can open up to her so perhaps letting her go would have been a good idea even without you hitting her.

ReputationRep:
    give her some space, let her clear her head, you do the same, thing about it. and if she wants to break up then fine... maybe you could explain the situation that your in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    lmao, oh if this had been a girl we would so have not had these responses.
    yeh but if its your girlfriend you know you have to have respect for them however you are right if it was some random female who hit a man it would be a completely different situation hence I would react differently...

ReputationRep:
    Next time do it right and get her to make you a sandwich after.

Incoming feminism rage!

Dude it's just not acceptable to hit people if you get mad (no matter who you are) - even if they are being really awful - and especially if they are physically inferior/weaker than you.

Your girlfriend doesn't sound very nice. Your relationship doesn't sound good for either of you. Split with her, sort out your own issues.. find some people who will support you and not laugh at or belittle you.

If your seeing a doctor or therapist for your depression, mention that you're having trouble with anger/violence. I'm sure they can help you with it.

I don't wanna judge you too harshly. People can lose their cool. But it isn't acceptable. At least you know it's wrong. Don't become the kind of person who does this habitually and thinks it's okay and/or avoids responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    Was it a good punch at least? The only way I could respect you any less as a man is if you didn't at least hospitalize her.

ReputationRep:

I'm not going to make excuses but I suffer from depression. I have not wanted to go out recently because of it and she confronted me about, by just shouting and putting me down. Anyway I tried to sit her down and explain my reasons but got that I wasn't depressed (I'm diagnosed by a doctor) and that even if I was I should get over myself.

Hate me, curse me, what I did was wrong... But I don't know if I should not bother and just let her be able to find someone who isn't such a psycho, what do you think?
    My girlfriend suffers with depression, and while it can be frustrating, I would never trivialise her illness in such an utterly reprehensible way. You did over-react considerably (although I gather that both the provocation and your subsequent reaction were equally without precedent, which exonerates you somewhat), but your girlfriend is undeniably an utter cretin: apologise for hitting her, then break up and find someone who isn't.

Sorry - I'm a girl and I have a little bit of persuasion towards violence myself. Something I try hard to control. But I haven't actually hit someone (with the exception of my brother in a two way fight). Violence is not acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    My girlfriend suffers with depression, and while it can be frustrating, I would never trivialise her illness in such an utterly reprehensible way. You did over-react considerably, but your girlfriend is undeniably an utter cretin: apologise for hitting her, then break up and find someone who isn't.
    Yeah but she doesn't know he suffers from depression, the OP never told her. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wild Thing)
    Yeah but she doesn't know he suffers from depression, the OP never told her. :confused:
    I have not wanted to go out recently because of it and she confronted me about, by just shouting and putting me down. Anyway I tried to sit her down and explain my reasons but got that I wasn't depressed (I'm diagnosed by a doctor) and that even if I was I should get over myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    (Original post by OP)
    He could've phrased it better tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam o0o)
    Doesn't really matter what's on your mind, how you're feeling or what anybody has said - hitting a girl you're supposed to care about is pretty awful. Not to mention a proper fist...to the jaw.
    If I had been diagnosed with depression, and my partner's reaction were to impugn my integrity and denigrate my character, I'd probably stop caring about them pretty quickly. What he did was awful; what his girlfriend did was, frankly, much worse.

ReputationRep:
    I just love the fact that if it was a girl hitting a guy it would be totally fine in the eyes of most. xD

And as the person above pointed out, being a complete ****, as the GF in this scenario is described, is far worse than hitting someone once (I presume it wasn't that solid a hit anyway as they didn't go into much deal, ie. she probably had light bruising at worst).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    I just love the fact that if it was a girl hitting a guy it would be totally fine in the eyes of most. xD

And as the person above pointed out, being a complete ****, as the GF in this scenario is described, is far worse than hitting someone once (I presume it wasn't that solid a hit anyway as they didn't go into much deal, ie. she probably had light bruising at worst).
    No, it wouldn't be ok. It's NEVER ok.
    OP has depression, so what? I guess he can also hit someone else and then say - "Oh, I'm sorry - I have depression, my doctor clearly said so".

Not really a proper excuse, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Bad for you you aren't female...
    Mhm dunno wha to do? Talk to her... your response was innapropriate but quite understandable... do you want to get back with her?????
    You are talking a lot about how bad it is that you punched her... ok acknoleged...

How do you feel? - you gf was completly unsupportiv in a situation that sounds like ****. Do You want to get her back?- you must feel hurt too.and make sure she doesn't

ReputationRep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.