Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

HELP! kicked out university with no aftermath help... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I dont know if this is the right place to write this but i shall anyway just incase. My boyfriend was kicked out of uni september just gone because he had not passed enough modules. He didn't attend one of his resit exams either because he thought that because he had failed so badly with the coursework the only option was to resit that module. He found out that other students had been let back into the university who had failed alot worse than him but because this tutor had been told to stop being so lenient my boyfriend was left devostated as he wouldnt allow him back. So he took this to an appeal and he was rejected the first time and then he took it to a second appeal and was rejected a second time. I think this is so unfair to someone who really wanted to try harder and was willing to pay extra to acheive his dream of having a forensic science degree.

Anyway the real reason i am writing to explain this is since not getting into uni he has had to continue paying Halls of residence because of a contract even though he has received no loans this year, is there anyway he could get help with this? funding in some way maybe, he has a part time bar job but this is leaving him crippled as he also has 2 overdrafts, a credit card and phone bill to pay and is finding it hard to find a full time job and is living away from home and parents cant affors to help.

Please any help would be amazing his stress and depression is not something a 22 year old should be going through.

Thankyou,

Sian.

ReputationRep:
    If he has a part time job he isn't likely to get any benefits, so I'd suggest going to CAB with all of his income/outgoings and talking to them. They will be able to lower payments on outgoings (down to a minimum of £1 a month), but I don't think they can do anything with rent as he signed the contract.

Has he told them he is no longer at uni? Most of the time they are sympathetic and will either just let him leave or ask him to find a replacement.

They might also be able to sort out a payment plan, but this could affect his credit rating. Last resort would be approaching his old uni for their access to learning fund...has he reapplied for uni?

If he is feeling stressed and depressed he should see his doctor, and the CAB should be able to help him, but he may have to give up some luxuries if he is living beyond his means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sian87)
    Hi,

I dont know if this is the right place to write this but i shall anyway just incase. My boyfriend was kicked out of uni september just gone because he had not passed enough modules. He didn't attend one of his resit exams either because he thought that because he had failed so badly with the coursework the only option was to resit that module. He found out that other students had been let back into the university who had failed alot worse than him but because this tutor had been told to stop being so lenient my boyfriend was left devostated as he wouldnt allow him back. So he took this to an appeal and he was rejected the first time and then he took it to a second appeal and was rejected a second time. I think this is so unfair to someone who really wanted to try harder and was willing to pay extra to acheive his dream of having a forensic science degree.

Anyway the real reason i am writing to explain this is since not getting into uni he has had to continue paying Halls of residence because of a contract even though he has received no loans this year, is there anyway he could get help with this? funding in some way maybe, he has a part time bar job but this is leaving him crippled as he also has 2 overdrafts, a credit card and phone bill to pay and is finding it hard to find a full time job and is living away from home and parents cant affors to help.

Please any help would be amazing his stress and depression is not something a 22 year old should be going through.

Thankyou,

Sian.

I dont see how this is fair at all and i feel bad for you both.

You need to go and see the fees office, because he has tried very hard to appeal the decision twice and they must be able to see that he is serious about his degree!

The halls are tied to the uni, and they cant exactly have it both ways. Either they let him back in, or they let him out of his halls agreement.

Go also to student support and welfare, this is a very unfortunate situation and he cant be expected to pay for halls rent when they wont even let him back in.

I think you should also argue the case that you think he is being made an example of because others have been let back in, but he wasnt.

I would be inclined to take it to the Dean of the uni, because this isnt acceptable.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect, I admitt that the way he has to continually pay hall of residence fees is unfair. But if he had a dream of getting a forensic science degree, then why wasn't he studying hard. If there are any mitigating circumstances, the bad luck.

ReputationRep:
    appeal and put a complaint in about the university. the situation they have left him in is out of order.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Means Motive Opportunity)
    With all due respect, I admitt that the way he has to continually pay hall of residence fees is unfair. But if he had a dream of getting a forensic science degree, then why wasn't he studying hard. If there are any mitigating circumstances, the bad luck.
    these thing happen sometimes. people are not perfect.
    plus the entire situation is unfair because other will lower grades were alowed to stay.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really unfair that he has to pay the rent - he did sign up to say he would do so.

I would suggest he go to the CAB or similar about his financial situation in general - if, as you say, he has 2 overdrafts, a credit card bill and a phone bill to be paying off, he probably could do with a bit of advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou very much for your help i will advice him about the CAB. He has already done all he could about the unfair uni situation so it's just all about sorting his finances out now. Thanks again. X

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.