Turn on thread page Beta

I weigh 7 stone and still have flab :( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    this statement alone shows that you have a unrealistic view of your self.

you may not think you look anorexic but it is a fact that you are. your bmi says so. and so as a result of that you risk serious complications if you weight stays low.
    being at that weight for a short period of time is not dangerous but trying to maintaine it over more than a year would effect your health a lot.
    your GP prob accepted the weight loss because of your illness and will be expecting you to regain it naturally not diet to keep it off. i can asure you she would not support further weight loss.
    This statement alone shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Anorexia is not diagnosed by BMI, and BMI is a pretty lousy measure of health anyway. Anorexia is diagnosed on symptoms - OP has not stated that she has not eating, nor that she feels that she is hideously overweight. My mother was down to 6 stone at one point due to serious illness and she STILL had flabby bits. It's a matter of physique and tone, not one solely of weight.

If OP was seeing herself differently to the reality, she would still not necessarily be anorexia. She could have BDD, perhaps. (OP, I'm not suggesting you DO :P)

Seriously, Google.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    It's odd isn't it! My best friend was weighed recently and her doctor started lecturing her because she's 8st and 8st 1 is the lowest recommended healthy weight for her height. So I can only imagine what they'd say about your 7st at the same height!

I would suggest to try building muscle first and see what that does to the scales - in all honesty, you probably could do with an extra few lbs of fat on your bones, but I'm not here to lecture you about women and low body fat (I'm sure you know the problems associated with low body fat)

Yeah things like squats and jumping jacks are great strength building exercises. Even better are weighted squats and lunges. A pair of dumbbells in each hand will add to the resistance. Back, chest and arms can all be worked with free weights and will definitely shape up your physique. I love weights, they're like magic, I can usually see definition within a couple of weeks of continual use. I love them hehe.

If you're at a gym, ask specifically for a weights program, they'll sort you one out I'm sure.
    It seems that I'm coming across as anorexic or something to some people lol, but honestly, I kid you not when I say that my body fat levels honestly can't be that low! Like another forum user said, I'm probably 'skinny fat. In that the scales tell me I'm underweight and I generally appear slim but my body is squidgy lol. I also have a small build in general. I think building strength/muscle is definitely going to be the way for me to go though, plus trying to eat healthy as I don't eat particularly healthy but just really small portions. Thanks for the exercise suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yokel)
    That's great to hear!

From your description, I'd say you're skinny fat, you're skinny, but have a low amount of muscle vs. fat.

Get to the gym, get on a weights program, mainly squats, deadlifts and presses.

If you can't get to the gym you can do most of the stuff at home. Weighted squats, lunges etc, using a backpack full of books etc. You could buy some adjustable dumbells for this.

I'd really recommend Never Gymless by Ross Enamait, it has a comprehensive list of exercises for all types of aims, that can be performed at home, well worth it.
    Thank you, I'll check that out. Doing stuff at home is what I need, can't afford the gym!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midas)
    This statement alone shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Anorexia is not diagnosed by BMI, and BMI is a pretty lousy measure of health anyway. Anorexia is diagnosed on symptoms - OP has not stated that she has not eating, nor that she feels that she is hideously overweight. My mother was down to 6 stone at one point due to serious illness and she STILL had flabby bits. It's a matter of physique and tone, not one solely of weight.

If OP was seeing herself differently to the reality, she would still not necessarily be anorexia. She could have BDD, perhaps. (OP, I'm not suggesting you DO :P)

Seriously, Google.
    You've summed it up thanks. Honestly, if I was anorexic, WHY would I bring up personal concern about my own weight to the doctor lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwback)
    It seems that I'm coming across as anorexic or something to some people lol, but honestly, I kid you not when I say that my body fat levels honestly can't be that low! Like another forum user said, I'm probably 'skinny fat. In that the scales tell me I'm underweight and I generally appear slim but my body is squidgy lol. I also have a small build in general. I think building strength/muscle is definitely going to be the way for me to go though, plus trying to eat healthy as I don't eat particularly healthy but just really small portions. Thanks for the exercise suggestions.
    I'm the same - squishy slim! I'm short, skinnyish and my bone structure is very much on the small side (except my shoulders are too broad for the rest of me -.-), all of which means I don't weigh as much as I apparently should.

ReputationRep:
    You've summed it up thanks. Honestly, if I was anorexic, WHY would I bring up personal concern about my own weight to the doctor lol.
    Apologies for thread/quote spam but it's no problem, it irritates me when people use BMI as the be-all-and-end-all of "healthy weight", and it's even worse to use it to "diagnose" a serious psychological problem!

I should stop reading the internet, clearly.

Oh, and thanks for the thread, I'm now stealing all your advice because I have the same issue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midas)

Seriously, Google.
    i have no idea, after 7 years of anorexia..... really? ok if you say so.

OPs weight is an anorexic weight, is what i actually said.
    no OP is not anorexic in the eating disorder sense but she does have an anorexic weight.

BMI
    30+: very overweight
    25-30 : overweight
    18.5 - 25: healthy
    17.5 or less: anorexic
    15 or less : emasiated

she would not be classed as under weight, she would be clased as anorexic. even if she does not have the symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midas)

Seriously, Google.
    No, it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about. Anorexia nervosa (what you're talking about) is a mental illness and has nothing to do with the term "clinically anorexic" (what ballerinabetty is talking about), which will be applied to anybody who is 15% or more below a normal weight. ballerinabetty may not be exactly correct as usually the BMI cut off point for clinical anorexia is around the 16-16.5 mark, but she has the right idea whereas you are mixing up the issues of mental and physical health.

OP, you may not have an eating disorder but your body won't thank you if you maintain it at such a low body fat percentage for long. Take the sensible advice given in this thread for building up some muscle mass, and make sure you're eating enough that you're not creating a calorie deficit. Just eat a sensible, balanced diet including all the food groups and you should find that now the vomiting has stopped you gain some fat naturally. With a better muscle mass, you will then find your body looks more toned and you'll feel stronger and leaner.

ReputationRep:
    because you care about you well being.

plus i said you were an anorexic weight. which is true. i did not say you were anorexic in the eating disorder sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennybean)
    No, it's you that doesn't know what you're talking about. Anorexia nervosa (what you're talking about) is a mental illness and has nothing to do with the term "clinically anorexic" (what ballerinabetty is talking about), which will be applied to anybody who is 15% or more below a normal weight. ballerinabetty may not be exactly correct as usually the BMI cut off point for clinical anorexia is around the 16-16.5 mark, but she has the right idea whereas you are mixing up the issues of mental and physical health.

OP, you may not have an eating disorder but your body won't thank you if you maintain it at such a low body fat percentage for long. Take the sensible advice given in this thread for building up some muscle mass, and make sure you're eating enough that you're not creating a calorie deficit. Just eat a sensible, balanced diet including all the food groups and you should find that now the vomiting has stopped you gain some fat naturally. With a better muscle mass, you will then find your body looks more toned and you'll feel stronger and leaner.
    ballerinabetty implied psychological issues on several occasions by questioning the OP's view of herself and her weight. And I stand by my "BMI sucks" viewpoint.

OT: Your sig made me giggle.

Slightly-more-on-topic-but-still-OT: According to various calculatory things, my maintenance calorie count is only 1600 o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midas)
    ballerinabetty implied psychological issues on several occasions by questioning the OP's view of herself and her weight.
    I know what you mean but I have to say that personally I'd feel slightly concerned if a close friend with the same stats as the OP felt they needed to lose more fat. I understand the insecurities women have, especially when they feel their fat is unevenly distributed and that this makes them feel unattractive, but I do think health should take precedence over looks. Perhaps the OP does have a slightly warped view of her own body, we can't really know.

(Original post by midas)
    And I stand by my "BMI sucks" viewpoint.
    I'm absolutely with you on this one, but I do think it's unlikely that the OP has a healthy body fat percentage.

(Original post by midas)
    OT: Your sig made me giggle.
    Frankly when it comes to this forum you have to laugh at some of the things people come out with, otherwise you'd cry.

ReputationRep:
    you have a bmi of 17.3. you need to see a doctor. you seem to see your self as fat when you are clinically anorexic and if you do not gain weight you could end up very ill, even die.

the doctor will be able to sort you out with therapy (which will help you realise that you are 'organ failiur' skinny), give you some diet advice, and send you for tests to make sure you do not have brittle bones or electrolyt imbalances (which can kill).

loosing that much weight is never a good thing
    Oh please, shut the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennybean)
    I know what you mean but I have to say that personally I'd feel slightly concerned if a close friend with the same stats as the OP felt they needed to lose more fat. I understand the insecurities women have, especially when they feel their fat is unevenly distributed and that this makes them feel unattractive, but I do think health should take precedence over looks. Perhaps the OP does have a slightly warped view of her own body, we can't really know.

True, I definitely see what you're saying here.

Sorry for jumping the gun a bit

I actually remember one time I got up to around 8 stone, which was my target "healthy weight" and I genuinely felt fat. I lost it pretty soon after I was able to get out of bed again though, now I hover around the 7 stone mark and I think the doctors have accepted that I have low bone-density and next-to-no muscle mass! It still fluctuates half a stone or so each way but apparently that's fairly normal with chronic health conditions.

ReputationRep:
    i think the term you're looking for is skinny fat...whereby through bad dieting or whatever, instead of only losing fat, your losing muscle too so as a results your body fat % rises....hence you feel flabby.

i think you should eat about 2000 calories...i dunno calculate your bmr rate and also do compound exercises using freeweights (i.e squats, deadlifts, presses) to build the muscle...as well as burning the fat.

ReputationRep:
    i have no idea, after 7 years of anorexia..... really? ok if you say so.

OPs weight is an anorexic weight, is what i actually said.
    no OP is not anorexic in the eating disorder sense but she does have an anorexic weight.

BMI
    30+: very overweight
    25-30 : overweight
    18.5 - 25: healthy
    17.5 or less: anorexic
    15 or less : emasiated

she would not be classed as under weight, she would be clased as anorexic. even if she does not have the symptoms.
    Lol, but how reliable is BMI... genius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Lol, but how reliable is BMI... genius
    in terms of BMI she would be classed as anorexic. god do i have to spell in out for you?
    who cares how reliable BMI is? doctors use it to diagnose weight problems, so reliable or not it is what medicine will go by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    What I'm saying is, she 'needs' to GAIN fat and BUILD muscle to be at her optimum. She's a stone underweight, which suggests she's at a low body fat percentage AND probably has very little amount of muscle too. Thus why I suggested a resistance program to help her build muscle. Of course she'll gain 'weight' due to the muscle, but my guess is she still won't be at a healthy BF% if she only focuses on building muscle (or toning as you call it, yuck).

Therefore, gaining a bit of fat (as well as a decent covering of muscle) won't do her any harm at all.
    BMI means sweet **** all. Elite endurance cyclists have BMIs that would suggest they are clinically underweight (and as you put it 'below their optimum) but they're some of the fittest people in the world. Meanwhile at the other end of the spectrum powerlifters and rugby players have BMIs that say they are obese, when again, some of these people are in insane shape.

If her doctor said she doesn't need to lose weight than I'd take their word for it, over someone on the internet whoes insisting they must gain weight because of an arbitrary number like BMI.

ReputationRep:
    in terms of BMI she would be classed as anorexic. god do i have to spell in out for you?
    who cares how reliable BMI is? doctors use it to diagnose weight problems, so reliable or not it is what medicine will go by.
    See post above.

ReputationRep:
    plus i said you were an anorexic weight. which is true. i did not say you were anorexic in the eating disorder sense.

Erm...

you are clinically anorexic

you may not think you look anorexic but it is a fact that you are.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    this statement alone shows that you have a unrealistic view of your self.

you may not think you look anorexic but it is a fact that you are. your bmi says so. and so as a result of that you risk serious complications if you weight stays low.
    being at that weight for a short period of time is not dangerous but trying to maintaine it over more than a year would effect your health a lot.
    your GP prob accepted the weight loss because of your illness and will be expecting you to regain it naturally not diet to keep it off. i can asure you she would not support further weight loss.
    I think you may have misunderstood the correlation between being anorexic and being underweight.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.