Turn on thread page Beta

I weigh 7 stone and still have flab :( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    i am 100% awear that anorexia is a mental illness. I SUFFERED FROM IT FOR 7 YEARS. ignorant??? quite the opposite me thinks.
    if you could read you will see that i said, what i mean is she is an anorexic weight, not anorexic in the sense of a eating disorder.
    That's impossible, you can't be anorexic in weight if you haven't got anorexia, you can just be really underweight.
    A symptom of an anorexic is to be very underweight. But that doesn't mean you are anorexic if you are underweight. :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwback)
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a bit of advice if possible.

To cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with an illness a few months ago which isn't anything major but when untreated, leads to vomiting, a lack of appetite and other yucky things. So because of this, I lost a stone in less than 3 months. Now that I'm on medication and better, I can at least appreciate the 'good' effects the illness perhaps had :p:, as I'd been trying to shift a few pounds anyway ha.

The thing is, even though I'm technically "skinny" (7 st and 5 ft 3 tall), my body still isn't as toned as I'd like. I still have a bit of flab on my stomach, upper thighs and arms that I'd like to shift but I don't want to go under 7 stone because that just sounds worrying lol.

Can anyone suggest ideas of what I should do? Will cardio shift this weight or should I do spot exercises? Thanks
    Well muscle weighs more than fat, so i kinda get why youre soo light, tye football for upper thighs or bike riding (whichever) and don't try anuthing too tough on your abs especially since you were ill otherwise you might get a hernia which would require surgery, other practical things are if you carry a side bag with a strap, try putting the bag behind you with the strap across your chest as the strain will strengthen your abs with little effort. Also you'll probibally gain weight by gaining muscle and the working out will strip away the flabby layers

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    If the doctors actually said that then there's something seriously wrong. Why would it be even the slightest bit appropriate to talk about something like "anorexic weight" to a vulnerable person recovering from an eating disorder? Furthermore, associating simply being underweight with an eating disorder is confusing and spreads misinformation (you find people saying someone "looks anorexic" now when they mean "looks thin" ) which in turn makes things more difficult for those who actually have anorexia. If you're not making it up, I'm now pissed of at the doctors.
    Erm, it would be the slightest bit appropriate to talk about an "anorexic weight" because it's a medical term and it's not medicine's fault that people like you do not understand the difference between a clinical presentation and the name of a mental illness. Anorexia means a state of not eating. An "anorexic weight" refers to a state of being more than slightly underweight (and the assessment of being clinically anorexic includes amenorrhea, or irregular menstruation, plus other criteria). Anorexia nervosa (commonly and misleadingly abbreviated to the term "anorexia" ) is the name of the mental illness leading to clinical behaviours characteristic of the well-known eating disorder. I don't know why that's so hard for people to get their heads around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    That's impossible, you can't be anorexic in weight if you haven't got anorexia, you can just be really underweight.
    A symptom of an anorexic is to be very underweight. But that doesn't mean you are anorexic if you are underweight. :|
    'really underweight'... oh yea coz thats a more clinical way of putting it :rolleyes:
    anorexic weight and anorexia are two different things.
    read the post properly then you would not be so confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennybean)
    Erm, it would be the slightest bit appropriate to talk about an "anorexic weight" because it's a medical term and it's not medicine's fault that people like you do not understand the difference between a clinical presentation and the name of a mental illness. Anorexia means a state of not eating. An "anorexic weight" refers to a state of being more than slightly underweight (and the assessment of being clinically anorexic includes amenorrhea, or irregular menstruation, plus other criteria). Anorexia nervosa (commonly and misleadingly abbreviated to the term "anorexia") is the name of the mental illness leading to clinical behaviours characteristic of the well-known eating disorder. I don't know why that's so hard for people to get their heads around.
    because all your explaining is the mental illness anorexia.
    an 'anorexic weight' is under a bmi of 17.5.
    then when you fall below bmi15 you are classed as emasiated.
    weather you are mentally ill with anorexia or not if you fall below a bmi of 17.5 and fall into the anorexic weight catagory then you are at a greater rink of many illnesses. dispite why you became that weight in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    because all your explaining is the mental illness anorexia.
    an 'anorexic weight' is under a bmi of 17.5.
    then when you fall below bmi15 you are classed as emasiated.
    weather you are mentally ill with anorexia or not if you fall below a bmi of 17.5 and fall into the anorexic weight catagory then you are at a greater rink of many illnesses. dispite why you became that weight in the first place.
    Eh?

Don't think I've even attempted to explain the mental illness.

ReputationRep:
    Eh?

Don't think I've even attempted to explain the mental illness.
    what was all that 'anorexia translated means this but in meantal health terms it means this'.

all i am saying is that you are talking about something diffent to what i am.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, it would be the slightest bit appropriate to talk about an "anorexic weight" because it's a medical term and it's not medicine's fault that people like you do not understand the difference between a clinical presentation and the name of a mental illness. Anorexia means a state of not eating. An "anorexic weight" refers to a state of being more than slightly underweight (and the assessment of being clinically anorexic includes amenorrhea, or irregular menstruation, plus other criteria). Anorexia nervosa (commonly and misleadingly abbreviated to the term "anorexia" ) is the name of the mental illness leading to clinical behaviours characteristic of the well-known eating disorder. I don't know why that's so hard for people to get their heads around.
    Surely it would be illogical to describe a person's low weight as "an anorexic weight" if their weight was absolutely nothing to do with medical anorexia, i.e. a loss of appetite or a state of not eating? Several people have posted on this thread stating they naturally have a low body weight. Can you perhaps provide a link to a medical definition? If true, its utterly bizaare! I've Googled already but there's nothing showing it to be a legitimate term?

BallerinaBetty, I'm sorry that you suffered from anorexia but please stop trying to project it onto me, it's slightly worrying. You came in strongly telling me to get therapy and now you're changing your tune a bit but still clinging onto this idea.

I've stated that I want to lose fat BUT gain muscle, which means my weight will actually go UP. Thus I won't be in this particular BMI category that you're so concerned about.

Thank you muchly to everyone who has given advice otherwise, you have solved my dilemma which all along was to lose fat but not actual weight on the scales. I'm hoping to start my program over the weekend!

ReputationRep:
    Flab is normal. I'm a skinny ******* and I have flab, I definitely don't need to lose any weight though.

ReputationRep:
    what was all that 'anorexia translated means this but in meantal health terms it means this'.

all i am saying is that you are talking about something diffent to what i am.
    No we were talking about exactly the same thing, you're just not very good at reading, which has not really helped your case in this thread.

OP, google the phrase "clinically anorexic weight" and you should find lots of things come up I agree that it's a strange way of terming it, but it is very widely used. There are a few medical definitions for things that I really don't understand the reasoning behind actually.

ReputationRep:
    No we were talking about exactly the same thing, you're just not very good at reading, which has not really helped your case in this thread.

OP, google the phrase "clinically anorexic weight" and you should find lots of things come up I agree that it's a strange way of terming it, but it is very widely used. There are a few medical definitions for things that I really don't understand the reasoning behind actually.
    There's only six Google results in total :o:.

ReputationRep:
    'really underweight'... oh yea coz thats a more clinical way of putting it :rolleyes:
    anorexic weight and anorexia are two different things.
    read the post properly then you would not be so confused.
    There is no such thing as an anorexic weight :mad:
    There's weight loss due to anorexia end of.
    You can't go up to somone who is skinny, and go you're anorexic or your weight is anorexic! That's just rude. Just because weight loss is a symptom of anorexia it doesn't mean that if you weigh little you have an 'anorexic weight'! I don't understand why you can't understand. :confused: If you believe that there is such thing as an anorexic weight then can you prove it please? :|

ReputationRep:
    you have a bmi of 17.3. you need to see a doctor. you seem to see your self as fat when you are clinically anorexic and if you do not gain weight you could end up very ill, even die.

the doctor will be able to sort you out with therapy (which will help you realise that you are 'organ failiur' skinny), give you some diet advice, and send you for tests to make sure you do not have brittle bones or electrolyt imbalances (which can kill).

loosing that much weight is never a good thing
    I am 5ft5 and weigh 7st3 and before you say that's an "unhealthy weight" and I have a "low bmi" some people are just naturally slim. You can still have fat or flab as a person may have small bone structure. I have ALWAYS been thin, and eat like any other person,, in fact I eat more than most of my friends and there a bigger than me, I just don't gain weight at all or very easily, I just have a fast metabolism. It annoys me soo much that people assume that you are automatically anorexic or have an eating disorder. Exercise is key, muscle weighs more than fat.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.