Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I might be going to Goldsmiths Uni in September and would be living in the halls if I ended up going there. But I've never been around the halls before, so I was wondering what they're like.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Do not live in Batavia Mews. £90 a week and you get;
    Cockroaches, rats and some questionable characters... seriously, choose more expensive halls, they are much nicer halls (Loring is lovely)

Macmillan Student Village is ridiculous and way too overpriced.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! Sounds awful. I'd really like to live in loring hall, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to cope with the halls though.

ReputationRep:
    Loring is nice, but there are some really nice properties to rent around Goldsmiths at some competetive prices. In general, the rooms rounds there tend to be big and furnished but landlords expect quite high deposits. I think there is a specific site aimed at London students to advertise or find potential flatmates...

www.housing.london.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who lives at macmillan and I would say they're one of the nicest halls I've seen, especially in london. I would probably agree with over-priced for halls though, but it is london so you can't expect much.

ReputationRep:
    My friend had goldsmiths as her firm... got the grades but didn't get into halls. they don't guarantee all first year firmers for the first term. she had two weeks to find herself some random flatmates and a house in the area.... be warned!

but if you do get into halls, my sister was at loring which is really really nice!

ReputationRep:
    Surrey House is where it's at! Loring is £30 a week more, and having your own bathroom just makes your room tiny - I have a standard room that's big enough for an inflatable sofa, and various other things, and still with room to spare. You share with a lot of people, true, but in reality you'll only ever actually see half of them. The kitchens are big, too, and if you're lucky enough to be on the ground floor, like me, then you've got a chance at a room with french doors onto a patio. Rent's £92.50 a week, this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiddae)
    Surrey House is where it's at! Loring is £30 a week more, and having your own bathroom just makes your room tiny - I have a standard room that's big enough for an inflatable sofa, and various other things, and still with room to spare. You share with a lot of people, true, but in reality you'll only ever actually see half of them. The kitchens are big, too, and if you're lucky enough to be on the ground floor, like me, then you've got a chance at a room with french doors onto a patio. Rent's £92.50 a week, this year.
    Thanks for the info, makes me hesitate between ensuite and standard even more. The rooms in Loring Hall look better IMO, and apparently that's where the atmosphere is best, so I'm tempted to go with ensuite. But then again it equals extra costs.. Anyway, the virtual tours of the rooms on the Goldsmiths site are very handy!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guy!
    well i go to Goldsmiths and i'm in first year. I currently live in halls, Im in loring! its great! i really like it, I have awesome flatmates, and ive made my room my own! Loring is the largest halls but because there are 7 blocks, (A-G) I'm in block A, which is relatively quite, as you go further, theres more parties lol! But, all in all, there are more pros than cons to living in halls, and ur only 5 mins away from your lecture!
    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    Loring is awesome =]

I wouldn't live in the macmillan studios, they are too far away, and don't have the social side of things because they are studios, and people don't really mix. The best that can be said for Batavia is that it has awesome views over London.

When I applied though, I didn't get to choose a hall, just standard vs ensuite. Was this the same for everyone?

ReputationRep:
    How much is the deposit for halls? I've tried finding out on their website, but nothing is mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    yea, u dont get to choose which halls, just standard and en suite.
    the deposit for halls is £200

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inziebaybee)
    Cheers! I don't really fancy having a standard room so I hope I get an ensuite instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mckenna)
    Cheers! I don't really fancy having a standard room so I hope I get an ensuite instead.
    its ok, any more questions feel free to ask!
    I didnt want standard either, so im in loring hall which is ensuite!

ReputationRep:
    When can I start applying for accommodation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mckenna)
    When can I start applying for accommodation?
    They sent out application forms around the end of Feb last year, so you should get them in the next few weeks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spasmos)
    Do not live in Batavia Mews. £90 a week and you get;
    Cockroaches, rats and some questionable characters... seriously, choose more expensive halls, they are much nicer halls (Loring is lovely)

Macmillan Student Village is ridiculous and way too overpriced.
    questionable characters? they sound a laugh. what do u mean exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jataylorlfc)
    questionable characters? they sound a laugh. what do u mean exactly?
    Well, you're bound to find people who party a lot and will smoke (not just tobacco ) Not that I didn't like them as people, and not that everyone in Batavia is like this, but for me it was a lifestyle I couldn't live in 24/7 - every now and then would have been fine!!

ReputationRep:
    well im not much of a drinker and havent smoked weed in years and not planning on starting again so yeah id like 2 be with people that do other things, its just whether its worth giving up more of my hard earned wages

........suppose ill check out the accomodation at the open day on weds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inziebaybee)
    im planning on making goldsmiths my firm does that mean that i cant pick loring halls as my accomodation? or do i just have to say ensuite or standard and they sort it out for us?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.