Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tony Blair to fight election campaign for Labour watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't actually listened to the report when I commented.

So we have prescott back, blunket back,Blair back?

**** it...

Lets Bring Back Attlee!

ReputationRep:
    Please let this be a joke..

ReputationRep:
    The last thing I will say on this tonight, but I'm pretty sure Nick Griffin defecting to labour will do less damage than the return of a certain mr Blair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    TBF what do they have to lose. Its like when Mccain unleashed the Palin. Its an act of desperation because if you are going to lose you may as well go for it.

I lol'd

ReputationRep:
    Or if Dave wins, and we wheel out Maggie for another term :p:
    For example... although I wouldn't...

ReputationRep:
    So it's official, all hopes of a Labour surprise victory have been crushed and aslong as Call-me-Dave doesn't do anything stupid the tories will inevitably get into power.

ReputationRep:
    TBF what do they have to lose. Its like when Mccain unleased the Palin. Its an act of desperation because if you are going to lose you may as well go for it.
    It might be Gordon Brown's last throw of the dice, but it certainly wouldn't have been Labour's. According to the last polls I saw, Labour's last throw of the dice would have been getting rid of Brown himself (although this was at the turn of the year) as the other candidates touted around like Miliband had a higher popularity rating.

Anyway, a really disastrous move from a party completely out of sync with the public and the real world. What a time to announce it as well; it's only a couple of days before Blair appears before the Chilcot Inquiry.

ReputationRep:
    Nice.
    Labour have ruined the country, now they are seeking to destroy themselves...
    I love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    It might be Gordon Brown's last throw of the dice, but it certainly wouldn't have been Labour's. According to the last polls I saw, Labour's last throw of the dice would have been getting rid of Brown himself (although this was at the turn of the year) as the other candidates touted around like Miliband had a higher popularity rating.

Anyway, a really disastrous move from a party completely out of sync with the public and the real world. What a time to announce it as well; it's only a couple of days before Blair appears before the Chilcot Inquiry.
    Hopefully the geezer appearing today will get a right grilling, one of them is bound to **** up, it's only a matter of time.

ReputationRep:
    Gordon Brown hates Tony Blair, and Blair has always thought Brown isn't up to the job of being PM.

Then I suppose most of the electorate hates Tony Blair and has always thought Brown isn't up to the job so maybe Labour are getting back in touch with people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Gordon Brown hates Tony Blair, and Blair has always thought Brown isn't up to the job of being PM.

Then I suppose most of the electorate hates Tony Blair and has always thought Brown isn't up to the job so maybe Labour are getting back in touch with people.
    I can see where you're coming from, however even if Gordon Clown isn't upto the job, he still has more chance of winning than Bliar, unless something drastically changes, this'll go down as the biggest arse up in election history.

I can already see the books being published.

'How not to win an election".

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Well Blair is an intelligent bloke, I don't think he would have come back without having a plan. He could even make a brief Mandleson-style comeback for the election. A lot of people said that bringing Mandleson back would be a disaster move due to his unpopularity, but actually he's done pretty well...

ReputationRep:
    Yay he's back to fool us again D:

ReputationRep:
    Get gordon out he plans on cutting the binge drinking offers accross the UK we cannot let this happen !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samgun)
    Get gordon out he plans on cutting the binge drinking offers accross the UK we cannot let this happen !
    So who do you plan on voting for? The tories plan on this too, so I assume you're hopeful of a highly shocking result at the election?

In regards to thread: I doubt they'll have Tony Blair broadcasted on live T.V., I think he's being stuffed into areas which they currently have no hope of winning and are throwing someone with charisma into these areas to win voters over (which I can see working). However, I do expect that soon enough Labour will be asking Gordon Brown's grandmother to give a speech at the local bingo club.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I think some of you are underestimating the effect this could have on the general population.

I know a good number of people dislike Tony Blair, but even when he stood down a good number were also big fans of his. Many people did not like to see him leave and I've seen comments and polls (can't remember where, sorry) where sizeable number of people (not a majority, of course) say they would like to see him back.

I'm not sure what effect this will have on the election camapign, but amongst those considering between voting Labour and voting for some other smaller party it could have a massive effect on keeping the Labour vote. It could also have a good effect in the more traditional Labour areas, strengthening support in the safer Labour seats and increasing support in the seats further down the Tory hit list.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of John Prescot though, if he is to return. He's a very misunderstood politician and is actually quite a decent guy with great ideas when you look in to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    It could also have a good effect in the more traditional Labour areas, strengthening support in the safer Labour seats
    It won't because people in those traditional Labour areas aren't interested in New Labour spin and New Labour neo-liberal policies; they're not interested in a party that has allowed the gap between rich and poor to rise to 100 times the difference between the top 10% in the country and the bottom 10%. If Tony Benn were to be Prime Minister, then you would have those traditional Labour seats voting in droves because he actually appreciates working-class voters unlike Blair who only understands the rich middle classes.

Given that my seat was that won by Keir Hardie in 1900, I don't think you can get much more traditional Labour and that is most certainly the impression you get from the streets.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Adorno)
    It won't because people in those traditional Labour areas aren't interested in New Labour spin and New Labour neo-liberal policies; they're not interested in a party that has allowed the gap between rich and poor to rise to 100 times the difference between the top 10% in the country and the bottom 10%. If Tony Benn were to be Prime Minister, then you would have those traditional Labour seats voting in droves because he actually appreciates working-class voters unlike Blair who only understands the rich middle classes.

Given that my seat was that won by Keir Hardie in 1900, I don't think you can get much more traditional Labour and that is most certainly the impression you get from the streets.
    You're probably talking about those people who vote Labour no matter what, but there are plenty of others who may not have voted who may do now and others in those areas which are the ones who may be tempted to switch their vote elsewhere who may be pursuaded to stay. Getting more of these votes in the safer Labour areas in stengthen the position there.

But I do agree that the very core of the Labour vote may not be pursuaded to be more likely to vote Labour.

Though I guess there are some places where even core Labour supporters are moving away (eg Barnsley where last year the BNP gained a huge number of votes from Labour). But even then, I can hope that those people could be encoruaged back, even if they do not totally agree with the point of view of people like Tony Blair, but because of his ability to 'perform' in his seaches which manages to reach out to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adorno)

Tony Benn was the best PM the UK never had.

It's scary to think that idiots like Gordon Clown and Call-me-Dave have been and will get into power when this man accomplishes more in a day than both of them will ever achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    You're probably talking about those people who vote Labour no matter what, but there are plenty of others who may not have voted who may do now and others in those areas which are the ones who may be tempted to switch their vote elsewhere who may be pursuaded to stay. Getting more of these votes in the safer Labour areas in stengthen the position there.
    If your core vote do not turn out how can you describe a seat as "safe"? It's this asumption that the South Wales Valleys, the North-East of England, and central Glasgow will automatically turn out for Labour that pisses people off. I'm talking about the people who have voted Labour in elections past because it meant something but who now will just not turn up because being Labour doesn't mean anything to them any more.

Though I guess there are some places where even core Labour supporters are moving away (eg Barnsley where last year the BNP gained a huge number of votes from Labour).
    The BNP gain a huge number of votes from Labour because the BNP use Labour's old economic messages, they fight hard on the ground often on local issues which strikes people as worthy and relevant. The smeer of racism actually masks a fairly shrewd (if crude) political machine and Labour really needs to realise what turns people on to the BNP is not their immigration message but their economic ones. Old Labour sells in hard-pressed working-class areas and boy do the BNP know it.

But even then, I can hope that those people could be encoruaged back, even if they do not totally agree with the point of view of people like Tony Blair, but because of his ability to 'perform' in his seaches which manages to reach out to people.
    I really think you're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that is true.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.