Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    By tomorrow, I believe I need to make a choice between the following:

> Administration role at an Investment Management boutique, good pay, great benefits, fun team, CFA funding, with a view from the outset for succesful people to be fast-tracked to assistant Portfolio Management roles (i.e. the Ops team genuinely encourages this). Immediate start, not a grad scheme.

> Lloyds Corporate Markets grad scheme, starting September, reasonable pay, potential for exposure to some fun stuff (DCM perhaps, which certainly appeals) but a good deal of the menial too. Nice big grad intake, established training programmes etc.

Could anyone offer any constructive advice on this decision...bearing in mind that until now, my 'ideal role' has basically been 'any role which is currently unfilled' lol. My ambitions are all over the place and aren't really helping me make this choice!

Basically I'm looking at prospects 5 years down the line, assuming i'm aiming to do CFA in both cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    By tomorrow, I believe I need to make a choice between the following:

> Administration role at an Investment Management boutique, good pay, great benefits, fun team, CFA funding, with a view from the outset for succesful people to be fast-tracked to assistant Portfolio Management roles (i.e. the Ops team genuinely encourages this). Immediate start, not a grad scheme.

> Lloyds Corporate Markets grad scheme, starting September, reasonable pay, potential for exposure to some fun stuff (DCM perhaps, which certainly appeals) but a good deal of the menial too. Nice big grad intake, established training programmes etc.

Could anyone offer any constructive advice on this decision...bearing in mind that until now, my 'ideal role' has basically been 'any role which is currently unfilled' lol. My ambitions are all over the place and aren't really helping me make this choice!

Basically I'm looking at prospects 5 years down the line, assuming i'm aiming to do CFA in both cases.

Do you actually have an offer from the Lloyds Corporate Markets scheme? Or are you just making assumptions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Do you actually have an offer from the Lloyds Corporate Markets scheme? Or are you just making assumptions?
    I'm making no assumptions. I need a decision in advance. If I don't get an offer, clearly there is no choice. I need to get back to this firm immediately, and it would do no good coming here with an hour's notice.

So for the purpose of this thread, yes, lets assume these are both options open to me.

ReputationRep:
    One method is to toss a coin. Notice whether you are pleased or sad when you see the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    I'm making no assumptions. I need a decision in advance. If I don't get an offer, clearly there is no choice. I need to get back to this firm immediately, and it would do no good coming here with an hour's notice.

So for the purpose of this thread, yes, lets assume these are both options open to me.
    Lol. Do you think you'd have started this thread, or even gone to the Lloyds AC if you really wanted the Admin job offer you already have. I think that's your decision, if you can call it that at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Lol. Do you think you'd have started this thread, or even gone to the Lloyds AC if you really wanted the Admin job offer you already have. I think that's your decision, if you can call it that at this point.
    hah touche. cant do any harm getting a second opinion from the learned folks around TSR though

ReputationRep:
    Lloyds has a lot of niche areas, such as Lloyds Development Capital, its private equity group. They will also sponser you for the CFA. I was also in your position, and seeing as I had my heart set on investments with CFA support I declined Lloyds. If you dont know where you want to be but are simply looking 5 years into the future, I would go with Lloyds. My reason for this is that, prior to the HBOS acquisition, it was a solid bank with a reputation for being conservative and well run. The bank can only get better from its terrible fall from grace, and the people who join now will get the credit for the bank's re-emergence. Also, as a side note, Lloyds Banking Group do still own Scottish Widdows, whish is their fund management arm. Once u have completed the CFA if u decided u wanted to move into buy side fund management im sure Lloyds would support u.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianGretzky99)
    Lloyds has a lot of niche areas, such as Lloyds Development Capital, its private equity group. They will also sponser you for the CFA. I was also in your position, and seeing as I had my heart set on investments with CFA support I declined Lloyds. If you dont know where you want to be but are simply looking 5 years into the future, I would go with Lloyds. My reason for this is that, prior to the HBOS acquisition, it was a solid bank with a reputation for being conservative and well run. The bank can only get better from its terrible fall from grace, and the people who join now will get the credit for the bank's re-emergence. Also, as a side note, Lloyds Banking Group do still own Scottish Widdows, whish is their fund management arm. Once u have completed the CFA if u decided u wanted to move into buy side fund management im sure Lloyds would support u.
    Thanks for the useful advice. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Actually, I too am pretty keen on IM in the long run and the boutique sounds such a great place to be, I have decided to go for it. There are a few factors which might have worked better for a grad scheme at Lloyds, but I think I'll have plenty of opportunities at this boutique, they're doing well, with a nice lucrative niche which sounds quite interesting. Also I'll start in a few weeks, as opposed to September! And the benefits. Ohh the benefits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    Thanks for the useful advice. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Actually, I too am pretty keen on IM in the long run and the boutique sounds such a great place to be, I have decided to go for it. There are a few factors which might have worked better for a grad scheme at Lloyds, but I think I'll have plenty of opportunities at this boutique, they're doing well, with a nice lucrative niche which sounds quite interesting. Also I'll start in a few weeks, as opposed to September! And the benefits. Ohh the benefits
    translation: "Lloyds rejected me so I'm taking an admin role instead."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desperate For Shoulders)
    translation: "Lloyds rejected me so I'm taking an admin role instead."
    well... no in fact they gave me an offer... and i'll be paid more here :P

'desperate for facts'...

edit: going by your typical post, i do wonder if you're on here to reinforce your fast diminishing sense of self-worth... is there anything we can do to help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    what exactly are the benefits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    well... no in fact they gave me an offer... and i'll be paid more here :P
    You're an idiot. So you turned down a Front Office job for a crappy back office admin role, simply because of a short term difference in pay and some nondescript perks? The mind boggles :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot. So you turned down a Front Office job for a crappy back office admin role, simply because of a short term difference in pay and some nondescript perks? The mind boggles :rolleyes:
    Well, technically no. They offered me a place on a different scheme which wasn't quite what I was after Obviously I wouldn't have turned that down.

I just made the pay comment to see if you'd bash me for it lol, and predictably you didn't miss the chance! Strange how someone so busy and important sounding can respond to a student forum virtually in real-time. Whereabouts do you work just out of interest? I can imagine you are quite the joker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    Well, technically no. They offered me a place on a different scheme which wasn't quite what I was after Obviously I wouldn't have turned that down.

I just made the pay comment to see if you'd bash me for it lol, and predictably you didn't miss the chance! Strange how someone so busy and important sounding can respond to a student forum virtually in real-time. Whereabouts do you work just out of interest? I can imagine you are quite the joker.
    I like that you look up to me, but I'm just a student like you . Actually, I'm not that like you, because unlike you I happen have landed multiple Front Office offers from bulge bracket banks. I'll be starting at Barclays Capital in September as a Swaps Trader, not as a clerical worker at some no name firm. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm not just randomly picking on you, your posts annoy me.

ReputationRep:
    I like that you look up to me, but I'm just a student like you . Actually, I'm not that like you, because unlike you I happen have landed multiple Front Office offers from bulge bracket banks. I'll be starting at Barclays Capital in September as a Swaps Trader, not as a clerical worker at some no name firm. :rolleyes:

dude...totally unnecessary.

"desperate for shoulders" may seem like an unreasonable douche, but I would have to agree with him.

I think choosing a clerical work over a seemingly legitimate FO job (not entirely saying that a clerical job is illegitimate...you get the point) at Lloyds seems very irrational. In my honest opinion, you would have better exit options after working at Lloyds Global Markets than at that boutique as a clerical worker.

Sure, the boutique's doing well. But you are a f*cking admin for god's sake. you won't be part of this "doing well" circle jerking festivity. I really don't understand your reasoning here.

Whatever makes you happy. Best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FifthQuarter)
    dude...totally unnecessary.

"desperate for shoulders" may seem like an unreasonable douche, but I would have to agree with him.

I think choosing a clerical work over a seemingly legitimate FO job (not entirely saying that a clerical job is illegitimate...you get the point) at Lloyds seems very irrational. In my honest opinion, you would have better exit options after working at Lloyds Global Markets than at that boutique as a clerical worker.

Sure, the boutique's doing well. But you are a f*cking admin for god's sake. you won't be part of this "doing well" circle jerking festivity. I really don't understand your reasoning here.

Whatever makes you happy. Best of luck to you.
    Yup the markets role would have been the obvious choice - but the role I was offered was quite substantially different - the corp. markets scheme has filled up already but they offered me an alternative which was completely unrelated - this is why I rejected it. I'm not completely brain dead. Clearly I would have taken a front-office, client facing role over anything administrative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    Yup the markets role would have been the obvious choice - but the role I was offered was quite substantially different - the corp. markets scheme has filled up already but they offered me an alternative which was completely unrelated - this is why I rejected it. I'm not completely brain dead. Clearly I would have taken a front-office, client facing role over anything administrative
    Did you recover from being brain dead after starting this thread then? You seemed pretty clueless beforehand anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Dear god, so much unnecessary edge! Personally I think dpb did the right thing considering Lloyds didn't offer him what he wanted.

ReputationRep:

Well congratulations on your offers - I'm glad theres someone out there having more luck than me! Of course I look up to you, you have a job which I would give a limb for and a bright future ahead of you. I wish you all the best in your future career.

For the record, I didn't come to TSR to put people down, make enemies, or engage in some adolescent war. I came here for advice, and I have given people advice where I have been able to. Your typical post on this forum has been a few words long and is generally a put-down.

Considering you are clearly so succesful even at this early stage, I would like to know why you feel you have to put others down almost compulsively. By the sounds of it, it'll be a long while before you start managing people, but by the time you do, you will need to have developed a sense of humility, BarCap or not - or you are going to make plenty of enemies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpb23)
    you've been offered Lloyds General Management?

IIRC Assessment Centres kick-off on Tuesday for the GM Programme. So I assume you haven't even been to the Llloyds AC? Only past the telephone interview?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.