Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

im a really smart guy, but obviously not a modest guy, but i just wonder like if people actually find it attractive? im not nerdy or anything, i just like, think that when im sounding all smart and stuff it's a turn off, like a bit pompous maybe or sorta uncool?

what does yous boiz an girlz fink den :F :cool:

ReputationRep:
    yes very. just dont rub peoples faces in it x

ReputationRep:
    I found this girl unbeleievably atractive because she gave the impression she was intelligent. She was nice anyway but that just topped it off. Thats obviously the guy side of things...unsure about the other side I'm afraid dude!

ReputationRep:
    Being smart is a very attractive according to me.
    However, if they are so up themselves about being much smarter than everyone = turn off.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use it as the main part of your personality. Have an attractive personality and then add a hint of intelligence to finish it off.

nah im not a nob about it, i try to be as down to earth as possible and stuff really, i actually kinda dumb it down cos i dont want people to think im unkewwwwwl

ReputationRep:
    It's not attractive if you rub it in all the time and have your head permanently wedged up your arse. However, I would say that being clever is quite a nice trait to have and if you are down to earth, friendly and can hold a normal conversation then all should be good

ive given off the wrong impression teehee, i know im clever but i really dont go round shouting about it, well only in like a jokey way like 'well cleverrr meee m8 :F', i can talk to anyone really and im nice and friendly i think id say im down to earth and stuff, but i mean, in saying that, im being bigheaded

oooh what a conundrum

(Original post by Wanischa)
    Being smart is a very attractive according to me.
    However, if they are so up themselves about being much smarter than everyone = turn off.
    Thisthisthis

ReputationRep:
    troll. on a more serious note, as harry potter would say "its a contributing factor" ..

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well it's deffinitly not a bad thing... but just don't overdo it, cause being a girl myself, if a guy came across that he thought he was a serious smart arse and so on, it would be an immediate turn off. So just let people find out for themselves that you're actually pretty intelligent, i think girls would then find it an attractive factor.

ReputationRep:
    90% of the users on TSR are people who have been straight shooters in education for a long time, and are the people who get good A Levels etc.

So, asking here isn't that beneficial. We're ALL smart.

There was some study a few years ago that said that females generally wanted a parter who was more intelligent than them, and males wanted the reverse, so as long as you aren't always in their face about it, it should work to your benefit.

'Course it's all a balancing act. You've got to be clever enough, not as ugly as the elephant man, and sociable enough. If you've just got one, you aren't going to be first choice.

ReputationRep:
    I like it when people talk fairly eloquently but i really can't stand people who talk in this pompous manner, ergh, i can just picture this one boys face now. It annoys me so much! And when they correct you on every thing you do, they hate it when you say a fact and they can't pick a whole in it or haven't heard of it first. So annoyiingg!

ReputationRep:
    I find the most attractive smart people are the ones who are completely modest about it. They are knowledgeable about things you ask them and will help you if you're stuck but they don't go walking around expecting firsts or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    im a really smart guy, but obviously not a modest guy, but i just wonder like if people actually find it attractive? im not nerdy or anything, i just like, think that when im sounding all smart and stuff it's a turn off, like a bit pompous maybe or sorta uncool?

what does yous boiz an girlz fink den :F :cool:
    Yes, it's attractive :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    I like it when people talk fairly eloquently but i really can't stand people who talk in this pompous manner, ergh, i can just picture this one boys face now. It annoys me so much! And when they correct you on every thing you do, they hate it when you say a fact and they can't pick a whole in it or haven't heard of it first. So annoyiingg!
    I believe you mean hole :rolleyes:

Women generally don't go looking for the smart guy, they're just pleasantly suprised when they find you. Least in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Lacking modesty isn't though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, so long as they don't show it off all the time to make others feel bad. Intelligent, interesting conversations are sexy, but "I did soooo badly on that test, I only just scraped 96%! What did you get? A B, that's great!" is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    I believe you mean hole :rolleyes:

Women generally don't go looking for the smart guy, they're just pleasantly suprised when they find you. Least in my experience.

:teehee:
    I was genuineley annoyed at you untill i realised you were being ironic.
    Oh dear..:blush:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.