Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Being smart is attractive but being a smartarse is not.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely attractive quality. However, be sure you can talk about other things...I had a boyfriend who was (still is, probably more so) insanely clever but he couldn't really engage people who weren't up to that ridiculously high standard and thought a lot less of them. So strike a balance, but its a good thing

ReputationRep:
    Yeh definatley =) Providing your not cocky about it, i find it a really attractive quality.

ReputationRep:
    Being intelligent is a very attractive attribute that I like.

ReputationRep:
    better than being dum?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. But it has to be a modest kind of clever.

ReputationRep:
    well of course people on here are going to say it's attractive. if you want a less biased opinion, don't post on a student forum full of clever beans. unless, of course, you're fishing for compliments..

ReputationRep:
    are Muslims bombers? Of course clever is attractive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    nah im not a nob about it, i try to be as down to earth as possible and stuff really, i actually kinda dumb it down cos i dont want people to think im unkewwwwwl
    I feel seriously sorry for you. Grow up. Oh wait, you're probably... 16? Ok, then enjoy acting that way.

(Original post by TwilightKnight)
    90% of the users on TSR are people who have been straight shooters in education for a long time, and are the people who get good A Levels etc.

So, asking here isn't that beneficial. We're ALL smart.
    You're surely smart. With good A Levels etc. :rolleyes:

--

And regarding the main question: Generally speaking, of course. But there are many different levels. Some more 'academic' cleverness might be quite unattractive to large parts of the female population, while some level of street-smartness would probably appall most more academic-thinking women.

Personally, I believe that a roughly similar level of intelligence is crucial for the success of a long-term relationship (very misleading example but as there's a lack of measuring intelligence as a whole in quantitative terms, please bear with me: e.g. 10 IQ-points more or less should be ok in most cases, possibly slightly more when you're rather average/on the lower end of the scale - the higher your IQ, the more you care about this kind of thinking). In the short-term, it's a completely different ball game. Acting slightly geeky is attractive to a certain amount of women, though they might get annoyed if they had to live with a geeky husband the rest of their lives

Edit: typo

ReputationRep:
    Smartness is attractive, and so is cockyness to an extent. It's good to have someone to play off, but don't be a complete jerk about it and I'm sure you'll be fine. Confidence is also nice.

ReputationRep:
    Being smart is very, very, very attractive :sogood:

But of course acting like Mr "I smarter than you" is a big turn off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexyguy)
    yes very. just dont rub peoples faces in it x
    You are more uglyguy than sexyguy hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent is, clever is not so much.
    I know they are pretty much the same but intelligent to me is what the person is. Clever is what the person does to show intelligence or try to be intelligent.
    That probably makes no sense at all cause I can't quite word it properly :P.

Edit: I guess it's like the smart but not a smartarse comment above.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I think it is attractive, if only cos the smarter guys tell funnier jokes, and tend to be wittier!
    Then again its more one of those things that is noted for its absence rather than presence.

Making me laugh is basically the key to me. and being consistent - I hate it when guys are inconsistent!

ReputationRep:
    Not as much as dumb is unattractive.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    im a really smart guy, but obviously not a modest guy, but i just wonder like if people actually find it attractive? im not nerdy or anything, i just like, think that when im sounding all smart and stuff it's a turn off, like a bit pompous maybe or sorta uncool?

what does yous boiz an girlz fink den :F :cool:
    Well talking to TSR like that isn't going to help.
    It depends on the individual you should change who you are to fit in. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    To an extent, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little curious about this. I find intelligence attractive personally but on more than one occasion I've been told mine is intimidating, opinions?

ReputationRep:
    academic intelligence isnt attractive
    social and emotional intelligence is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloeee02)
    Intelligent is, clever is not so much.
    I know they are pretty much the same but intelligent to me is what the person is. Clever is what the person does to show intelligence or try to be intelligent.
    That probably makes no sense at all cause I can't quite word it properly :P.

Edit: I guess it's like the smart but not a smartarse comment above.
    I think i know what you mean

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.