Turn on thread page Beta

is clever attractive? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it that attractive. Most of the guys on TSR would probably class themselves as intelligent, and a lot of them (I would go as far to say the majority) are smug and arrogant. I find emotional intelligence is much more important and attractive than an A in A Level critical thinking. I would much rather my boyfriend be able to tell a witty joke, or understand why I'm upset about something, than be able to do big maths.

If a guy was clever but totally modest about it, that would be a different matter, and I'd probably find that attractive. But unfortunately most clever guys just aren't like that.

ReputationRep:
    I find it attractive in a woman, if we can't have an interesting conversation it's a no no. Although of course I'm not just talking about academic smarts here, as in ignorance is a huge put off for me.

ReputationRep:
    I would say being smart is attractive. In todays society its not men that can run fast and shoot arrows well that will make the ideal "mate" it's someone who can provide, but financialy, emotionaly etc

ReputationRep:
    Smartness/ cleverness/ intelligence is attractive between men and men, I don't mean it in a gay way but when someone gets a better grade or is generally smarter than me, I take preference and tend to be more aware of that person. Like an idol you can look up to and it's good to make friends with smarter people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    im a really smart guy, but obviously not a modest guy, but i just wonder like if people actually find it attractive? im not nerdy or anything, i just like, think that when im sounding all smart and stuff it's a turn off, like a bit pompous maybe or sorta uncool?

what does yous boiz an girlz fink den :F :cool:
    Intelligence and modesty together are really attractive, I don't want someone boasting about how clever they are.

ReputationRep:
    Clever is attractive, but somebody correcting every mistake you make is annoying.. like, i only turn my brain on in lectures and exam time, apart from then my brain is usually off..... there is a time and place for everything :yep:

ReputationRep:
    clever is definitely attractive. by 'clever', I don't mean anything as glib as having good A-Level results (who cares about stuff like that?) - but having an active and passionate interest in either what they're doing or what they study, and having a range of cultural interests, being a good conversationalist and witty. All of these things are evidence of the sort of intelligence I find incredibly attractive.

I like it when people know about things that I don't know about, too, especially if they can explain things to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    Smartness/ cleverness/ intelligence is attractive between men and men, I don't mean it in a gay way but when someone gets a better grade or is generally smarter than me, I take preference and tend to be more aware of that person. Like an idol you can look up to and it's good to make friends with smarter people.
    You, mister, are a dying kind in today's British society

ReputationRep:
    :yep: But you cant just be smart, you have to be friendly, funny, understanding.......you get the point. And you also cant say youre smart :p:

(Original post by xmarilynx)
    Yes, so long as they don't show it off all the time to make others feel bad. Intelligent, interesting conversations are sexy, but "I did soooo badly on that test, I only just scraped 96%! What did you get? A B, that's great!" is not.
    I know a girl like this ¬_¬ Its very very hard not to tell her exactly what i think of her and jsut smile and nod :rant:

(Original post by josh_a_y)
    You, mister, are a dying kind in today's British society
    the cartoon in your sig
    aren't you just on the next level of that? the level where you'd find yourself on a train with people who are all looking at each other and thinking "oh, he/she thinks they're so much deeper and a real thinker. i know better"

ReputationRep:
    Quietly clever people who can talk with a lot of knowledge in a conversation with you are attractive.

People who make a blunt point of explaining things to you, displaying their knowledge, trying to look extremely clever? Instant and absolute turn off in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes. Being natural is more important though. If you naturally talk in a clever way then fine, if I get the impression you've sat there trying to think of the cleverest way you can say something, then I'll think you're a ********. My friend is very clever and has this really obscure convoluted way of typing and is always saying these mock-derogatory things like 'oh well this is just me being a geek again' or using all these out-of-place words, and that winds me up because it's like yeah yeah I know you're clever, I know you like learning, now put a sock in it. But when we talk irl she's really nice and friendly and lovely, and I don't get the feeling she's constantly flicking through a mental thesaurus.

ReputationRep:
    if my girlfriend was more intelligent than me... i would... i would... i would defo 100% hate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Yes. Lacking modesty isn't though.
    The video in your sig is gross Is that bug real? I couldn't watch till the end :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -XxX-)
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Yes, so long as they don't show it off all the time to make others feel bad. Intelligent, interesting conversations are sexy, but "I did soooo badly on that test, I only just scraped 96%! What did you get? A B, that's great!" is not.
    I know a girl like this ¬_¬ Its very very hard not to tell her exactly what i think of her and jsut smile and nod :rant:
    My question is what if someone gets a good grade, say B, and then says they're not happy with that grade because they wanted better or thought they could do better?? For me that's true, I want to get AAA but if I don't get the grade I want then I can't say I'm not unhappy with it and that I had wished that I did better because that wouldnt be true, I would be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedic!)
    if my girlfriend was more intelligent than me... i would... i would... i would defo 100% hate it!
    i see some feminism goin on around here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I find the most attractive smart people are the ones who are completely modest about it. They are knowledgeable about things you ask them and will help you if you're stuck but they don't go walking around expecting firsts or whatever.
    Completely agree with this, and it also applies to friends, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    My question is what if someone gets a good grade, say B, and then says they're not happy with that grade because they wanted better or thought they could do better?? For me that's true, I want to get AAA but if I don't get the grade I want then I can't say I'm not unhappy with it and that I had wished that I did better because that wouldnt be true, I would be disappointed.
    Aim high, thats great. But say if you got an A, or even a B, you might be disappointed, but you still cant go and say "im upset but i still got higher than you. Dont worry, Its a great grade for you though"

ReputationRep:
    I reckon modesty > cleverness

ReputationRep:
    I like a girl that's clever, but there can be many different forms. My brain works well on the physics/maths side of things, but I prefer girls that are into arts, literature etc. who are clever on those side of things.

Needless to say, if a girl was into physics/maths then not only would it become competitive for me but I'd be pretty peeved off if she was better...and I'm sure she'd feel the same if it was the other way round, although usually us guys have the greater ego.

Anyway, in short..clever > mind numbingly stupid. Although sometimes I do find a naive clueless girl quite cute, and it's fun telling them stuff when they're so amazed by it :yep:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.