Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend has got to have an interview for her course which is primary education. If you done this course and have had to have an interview please could you say the type of questions which they ask you. thanks

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Primary Education and was interviewed last year for a deferred entry place (Starting Sep 2010).

There are a few different types of interview for these courses, at least in my experience. Some interviewers will ask about experiences that the applicant has had within a school environment. In one of my interviews we were given time to prepare, and then had to deliver a speech, in front of the rest of the applicants, based on our experiences with children, both in and out of schools. (Bear in mind that they expect you to mention, and expand upon, experiences written about in your personal statement.) I have also been asked to come up with a suitable theme and activities surrounding this theme (ie books to read, arts and crafts activities, videos to watch, possibly trips to go on, etc.) for certain primary year groups, this was also done as a group activity.

As for individual questioning, I've been asked a wide variety of questions. eg. 'Which core subject do you feel is your weakest?','What do you think makes a good teacher?', 'What qualities do you have that would make you a good teacher?', 'What made you apply for this course/to this university in particular?', and they usually ask you about a news issue surrounding teaching at the time (for example, Eradication of SAT exams in primary schools, or a curriculum issue.)

She'll also have to complete simple Mathematics and English tests (and these are simple, at one university I was given a simple essay and asked to correct the spelling and grammar. That was the whole English test.)

My tips for her are to read a few news articles surrounding teaching topics, SATs etc if she doesn't already (BBC usually have a good selection on their website), read through her personal statement on the morning of the interview (try not to forget any major experiences that you have written about) and breathe! (Remember that the interviewers aren't trying to catch you out...most of the time they're pretty nice.)

Hope that helps and good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.