Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going for my first interview tomorrow for a midwifery job so it'll be before a matron and some of the hospital managers.

I'm going to wear a white fitted blouse, grey pencil skirt (just past the knee) and black court shoes.

I was also planning on wearing a pair of black stockings with a back seam. I just wondered if these would be appropriate having never had a proper interview before. I wear seams quite a bit and just see them as being like a variant of patterned tights. What does everyone think? Would plain black stockings be more appropriate?

ReputationRep:
    nononono. go for the cat woman look.

ReputationRep:
    a little corporate look will do. but do not rely only on the oufit, focus on your personality too.godd luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    I'd avoid the seam.
    While I see nothing wrong with it and like it personally, I know that some people, especially older people, think of it as very sexual/slutty. So better safe than sorry imo!

ReputationRep:
    love seamed stockings, but they are really not appropriate for an interview...they are a bit too saucy/cheeky. just wear tights or plain stockings, always play it safe for an interview!

ReputationRep:
    I see no problem with them as your skirt is past the knee. I'd say no if the skirt was a lot shorter but imo it just brings your personality into the outfit a bit.

ReputationRep:
    What to do, what to do?! So many conflicting opinions! Thanks for your input all, and the good luck message.

ReputationRep:
    might be alright, if your happy with wearing them then wear them, or you could wear ones without the seam or you could just not wear stocking as the skirt is over the knee,

i'd say wear the stocking but try and focus more on impressing them with your personality, skills etc

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to go with just plain black stockings. I do love seams and they do give me a feeling of confidence and power, but if there's a chance I'll make the wrong impression, I think it's best to avoid that possibility. Also, I only have 6 strap suspender belts and whilst they're pretty good at stopping the seams from turning, they do still move sometimes and non-straight seams are not a good look!!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn´t go even for the black stockings, just the plain nude coloir...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&C)
    I've decided to go with just plain black stockings. I do love seams and they do give me a feeling of confidence and power, but if there's a chance I'll make the wrong impression, I think it's best to avoid that possibility. Also, I only have 6 strap suspender belts and whilst they're pretty good at stopping the seams from turning, they do still move sometimes and non-straight seams are not a good look!!

seamed stocking are lush, but i definitely think you are right to play it safe by wearing plain stocking. maybe try to show off your personality a bit with some nice accessories? jewellery/bag etc.
    the way you dress in an interview, particularly as the interview is for a job of responsibility should always be conservative and safe. you should only dress to show off your personality if you are applying for a job which is more creative (tv jobs, HMV, topshop etc.). the job you are applying for is professional so you need to look sensible. and seamed stocking are a bit cheeky i think!

i also think you should prob go for nude stockings.. your outfit is already fairly grey/black... black stockings might make the outfit look a bit too dull.

anyways good luck with it! hope it goes well!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.