Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi......i have to apply to universities in Turkey this June and i need a lot of help! first of all i have some stupid questions but i really need to know the answers please!
    So one thing i don't understand is that when i apply to the universities in june...i won't have my A-Level result since that is going to come out in August....i shall be appying with my AS Law & Business studies result,and O'levels too...so is the university going to accept me based on my expected grades?
    Secondly how does one send all the documents...for instance all the transcripts of grades,recommendation letters,personal statements etc...do i send a photocopied version of all of these? But the universities state that the recommendation letters should be given to the student already sealed by the teachers...so how do i go about that? I don't think my teachers would write me 4 recommendation letters each! I know i probably appear quite stupid to most of you..lol but i don't know who else to ask!! I SHALL BE VERY GRATEFUL IF YOU GUYS HELP ME OUT =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JT26)
    Hi......i have to apply to universities in Turkey this June and i need a lot of help! first of all i have some stupid questions but i really need to know the answers please!
    So one thing i don't understand is that when i apply to the universities in june...i won't have my A-Level result since that is going to come out in August....i shall be appying with my AS Law & Business studies result,and O'levels too...so is the university going to accept me based on my expected grades?
    No idea, I'm afraid, as we have no knowledge of the Turkish system. You will need to check this out direct.
    Secondly how does one send all the documents...for instance all the transcripts of grades,recommendation letters,personal statements etc...do i send a photocopied version of all of these?
    Is the application system paper based or electronic? If the former, I would suggest getting certified copies (ie someone has countersigned the photocopies to confirm that they are correct - your teachers at school could do this).
    But the universities state that the recommendation letters should be given to the student already sealed by the teachers...so how do i go about that? I don't think my teachers would write me 4 recommendation letters each!
    It's not that difficult to print out four copies of one letter, sign each copy, and put them in separate sealed envelopes!
    I know i probably appear quite stupid to most of you..lol but i don't know who else to ask!! I SHALL BE VERY GRATEFUL IF YOU GUYS HELP ME OUT =)
    As we don't know about the Turkish system on TSR - being UK focused - you will have to check the detail for yourself, but I hope these ideas get you started.

ReputationRep:
    hmm...i don't think the turkish system is very different from USA or UK.....but can you tell me how it works in the UK? I'm sure the results come out later as well...so do the universities accept you based on the O'level result and expected A Level grades?
    And if the system is electronic then what's the procedure for that? The universities state that you should mail the documents to them...i think i'll be sending them through a courier...
    And as for the recommendation letters...do you mean i should photocopy them and make my teacher sign it? But if it's handwritten, should i do the same even then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JT26)
    hmm...i don't think the turkish system is very different from USA or UK.....but can you tell me how it works in the UK? I'm sure the results come out later as well...so do the universities accept you based on the O'level result and expected A Level grades?
    And if the system is electronic then what's the procedure for that? The universities state that you should mail the documents to them...i think i'll be sending them through a courier...
    And as for the recommendation letters...do you mean i should photocopy them and make my teacher sign it? But if it's handwritten, should i do the same even then?
    Have a read around on the site for info on how it works here in the UK, but what you describe is the general gist of it yes. If I were you, then a typed reference would be wise in any case. If your teachers are anything like here in the UK, a handwritten letter will be illegible. A typed letter which is signed by hand would be preferable on many counts I would think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JT26)
    Your references need to be typed on headed paper, with full details of who your referee is and which organisation they belong to, and signed by the author and no-one else. If you need to submit four copies, then each will need to have been signed individually; photocopies are unlikely to be acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks a lot!....by the way can you guys also tell me if my A Level subjects are okay for taking International Relations in university? I have posted this question 2,3 times before but haven't gotten any response....I take Law,Business Studies & Psychology...I did go through some of the international relations queries posted by other users and I think I should be fine with this subject combination yeah?

ReputationRep:
    A few more questions! Firstly what is a high school diploma? Since i did GCE O'levels and now im doing A Levels (A2)...i don't know what the uni means by a high school diploma? is it like a school leaving certificate?

And when the uni says transcript of high school grades...does that mean my final O'level result? or all my grades from year 9,10,11? some of my friends have applied to various unis and they've sent all their grades including midterm results! So im in a huge dilemma...because i thought high school grades would mean only my final O'Level result..

ReputationRep:
    There are two types of universities in Turkey, public and private. You would be better off applying to private ones. If you can get a scholarship, that would be the best. For International Relations, your best bet would be Bilkent University in Ankara.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i know...infact I visited Bilkent,Koc and Bosphorus university last summer...and I came to the conclusion that I'd prefer to go to a private university...especially Bilkent since i really liked it.Do you think it is easy for an international student to get accepted into the private universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JT26)
    A few more questions! Firstly what is a high school diploma? Since i did GCE O'levels and now im doing A Levels (A2)...i don't know what the uni means by a high school diploma? is it like a school leaving certificate?

And when the uni says transcript of high school grades...does that mean my final O'level result? or all my grades from year 9,10,11? some of my friends have applied to various unis and they've sent all their grades including midterm results! So im in a huge dilemma...because i thought high school grades would mean only my final O'Level result..
    Your subjects would be fine for IR in the UK.
    The high school diploma is American, it seems you have UK qualifications so you can ignore this - it is the leaving certificate students get upon finishing school although it doesn't have any qualifications attached to it as such for getting into university, you do them seperately.

For UK applications universities want details of your grades from GCSE (O level) onwards they aren't interested in what you did in the early years of secondary school although you do have to list where you went to school from the age of 11. However you will have to check with the Turkish universities for what they are expecting you to give them.

ReputationRep:
    If my humble opinion is of any value, I think they only want your A-level diploma. They want a high school diploma or its equivalent. If you do GCSE, and go to Turkey, you would have to study two more years to get a high school diploma. And they are only interested in seeing your high school diploma, hence A-level in your case...

ReputationRep:
    So basically I should be sending my O'Level and A Level results.But since the A Level result comes out later in August and i have to apply in June...do you think the universities in Turkey would know this or should i tell them beforehand? Because someone was telling me how they didn't get in to university in Turkey since their A Level result was supposed to come out later and by that time the deadline had passed! Isn't that a bit odd? Though I shall be sending my predicted A Level grades too..so hopefully they should accept me based on those yeah?

ReputationRep:
    I would get in contact with the International Relations Officer...For Sabanci, you should apply no later than the first week of August...They may want to see your actual A-grades..so that can be a bit of a problem. Make sure to contact and let them know asap!

ReputationRep:
    Sabanci University are not replying!! I've sent them 3 4 emails but I haven't gotten any response I don't know what to do!

By the way...does anyone know what the Middlesex University in Dubai is like? Is it as good as the one in London?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just call the admissions office of Sabanci or Bilkent?

ReputationRep:
    Bilkent have said that if the A Level result comes out by the mid of August,it's fine..but I think I will have to call Sabanci and Koc.I just thought they might have problems understanding on the phone..but i guess i should not waste anymore time and just call them.

ReputationRep:
    If a university has not specified in any way,that it requires a reference letter & personal statement..and if I do send it..will they think i'm being over efficient and too desperate? Because Bilkent and even M.E.T.U do not require them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.