Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

What are the standard rooms like at Wessex Lane and Glen Eyre like?

Are washbasins worth the extra money?

Is the area around these places nice?

(p.s: I will be going for self-catered halls)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayAyy)
    Hey guys

Thanks
    I think the standard of rooms at Glen Eyre is better than Wessex (apart from Connaught but they are catered) having lived and worked at both.

I think a washbasin is worth the extra money yeah, but that is just personal opinion. I always used to think that ensuite was too but after living in a stanard room I soon learned

There isn't much to do around Wessex Lane, but it is close to Wide Lane if you're into sports (thats where they do a lot of the society stuff) and it has the best bus links.

Glen Eyre is greener than Wessex Lane and is walking distance to campus. Only one bus goes up there with a rubbish timetable but as its only 10 min walk to campus that doesn't matter that much.

Glen Eyre is more popular because of the distance, but I had fun at Wessex too so don't let that worry you too much. I know at Monte (Wessex Lane) something like 15-20 people shared a kithen? I have no idea how that worked...

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I think the standard of rooms at Glen Eyre is better than Wessex (apart from Connaught but they are catered) having lived and worked at both.

I think a washbasin is worth the extra money yeah, but that is just personal opinion. I always used to think that ensuite was too but after living in a stanard room I soon learned

There isn't much to do around Wessex Lane, but it is close to Wide Lane if you're into sports (thats where they do a lot of the society stuff) and it has the best bus links.

Glen Eyre is greener than Wessex Lane and is walking distance to campus. Only one bus goes up there with a rubbish timetable but as its only 10 min walk to campus that doesn't matter that much.

Glen Eyre is more popular because of the distance, but I had fun at Wessex too so don't let that worry you too much. I know at Monte (Wessex Lane) something like 15-20 people shared a kithen? I have no idea how that worked...

Good luck
    Thanks for the reply

I think I'm undecided between the too. Glen Eyre is more convinient when getting to the campus, but people on this forum say that Wessex Lane is more fun that Glen Eyre. Plus I might be doing alot of sports :o:

Thanks again for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Glen Eyre is generally a much calmer place to live, because there aren't as many people crammed into a small space as there are at Wessex. I found that each time I ventured to Monte to meet people it appeared to be that there was always someone having a stupidly loud party, no matter what time of day.

Wessex is probably a more sociable place to live I guess with so many in one place, but you soon meet people anyway.

Do not underestimate the walking distance to Uni as a factor, because if you try and get buses from Wessex to Highfield they will be packed to the rafters every time. Although it's not like it's not walkable to Uni, I've done it plenty of times

From my experience last year a lot of the international students go into Glen Eyre, but these tend to be mostly in the same place.

As per the washbasin question, I personally got one for my room for convenience and it did prove useful indeed. The number of times I would have been shaving/cleaning my teeth while the girls [hypothetically] wanted to use the toilet was ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Glen Eyre is generally a much calmer place to live, because there aren't as many people crammed into a small space as there are at Wessex. I found that each time I ventured to Monte to meet people it appeared to be that there was always someone having a stupidly loud party, no matter what time of day.

Wessex is probably a more sociable place to live I guess with so many in one place, but you soon meet people anyway.

Do not underestimate the walking distance to Uni as a factor, because if you try and get buses from Wessex to Highfield they will be packed to the rafters every time. Although it's not like it's not walkable to Uni, I've done it plenty of times

From my experience last year a lot of the international students go into Glen Eyre, but these tend to be mostly in the same place.

As per the washbasin question, I personally got one for my room for convenience and it did prove useful indeed. The number of times I would have been shaving/cleaning my teeth while the girls [hypothetically] wanted to use the toilet was ridiculous.
    Seems like I will be getting a room with a washbasin

Sorry to ask so many questions, but would you (personally) prefer living in Glen Eyre or Wessex?

Thanks for the reply though

ReputationRep:
    Seems like I will be getting a room with a washbasin

Sorry to ask so many questions, but would you (personally) prefer living in Glen Eyre or Wessex?

Thanks for the reply though
    Personally I absiolutely loved it in Glen Eyre, but that's more to do with my personality. I find Glen Eyre is better for the quieter people who like a party once in a while, whereas Monte is more for the people who like to party all the time. :p:

To be honest though, if it was me now I kinda wish I'd gone to Monte but then I'd have missed out on all the cool Glen stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Personally I absiolutely loved it in Glen Eyre, but that's more to do with my personality. I find Glen Eyre is better for the quieter people who like a party once in a while, whereas Monte is more for the people who like to party all the time. :p:

To be honest though, if it was me now I kinda wish I'd gone to Monte but then I'd have missed out on all the cool Glen stuff!
    Sounds like Glen Eyre is my kind of place

Thanks for the help :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I went to monte and im glad i did, the busses from monte are way better, there is a bus to town 6 times an hour and the same for uni, whereas glen only has 2 an hour to uni and theyre packed so you may aswell walk. this basicaly means the slight difference in distance makes no difference. also monte is right by a tesco metro and loads of takeaway places, whereas glen has a shop but its REALLY pricey and the nearest shop (a coop) is slightly further away than the uni.

In terms of rooms, monte is cheaper for everything, washbasins are DEFO worth it, but ensuite isnt. If you have shared bathrooms they get cleaned all the time by a cleaner etc so its all good.
    Oh and the ensuite blocks are really far away from the entrance (in general unless you get monte 4 which is mainly postgrads) you can be unlucky and get a room facing out onto the main monte driveway thing (which would be louder) but i didnt. But tbh in that respect theres no difference between monte and glen there are some rooms that face out onto the routes where drunk students walk back.

I wouldnt say monte is somewhere where people party all the time btw. Both halls are pretty similar in types of people, you just have a big mix of people, theyre such huge places that cliques dont really form between them. Theres no "typical mote student" etc.

so yeh, basicaly my boyfriend lived in glen, and overal seeing it from both sides, i would recomend monte.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    I went to monte and im glad i did, the busses from monte are way better, there is a bus to town 6 times an hour and the same for uni, whereas glen only has 2 an hour to uni and theyre packed so you may aswell walk. this basicaly means the slight difference in distance makes no difference. also monte is right by a tesco metro and loads of takeaway places, whereas glen has a shop but its REALLY pricey and the nearest shop (a coop) is slightly further away than the uni.

In terms of rooms, monte is cheaper for everything, washbasins are DEFO worth it, but ensuite isnt. If you have shared bathrooms they get cleaned all the time by a cleaner etc so its all good.
    Oh and the ensuite blocks are really far away from the entrance (in general unless you get monte 4 which is mainly postgrads) you can be unlucky and get a room facing out onto the main monte driveway thing (which would be louder) but i didnt. But tbh in that respect theres no difference between monte and glen there are some rooms that face out onto the routes where drunk students walk back.

I wouldnt say monte is somewhere where people party all the time btw. Both halls are pretty similar in types of people, you just have a big mix of people, theyre such huge places that cliques dont really form between them. Theres no "typical mote student" etc.

so yeh, basicaly my boyfriend lived in glen, and overal seeing it from both sides, i would recomend monte.
    Your first pargraph was going to answer my next question (about the shops and everything). Seeing as I will be self-catered, I think a nearby tesco would be worth it

Sorry for another question, but so people from Wessex usually go to Glen Eyre and vica-versa?

Thanks for the help though

ReputationRep:
    Uhh, it totaly depends on who your friends are, you are likely to have friends from both places + some in private rented.
    At uni you tend to have,
    +course mates
    +random mates, just people you meet in freshers at events etc
    +club friends (from all the different clubs and socs you go to)
    +hall friends, so people in your flat, block, block next door, people you meet at glenbar/boiler house

So yeh some people tend to go to the other halls alot because theyre good friends are there, but some just dont, because theyre friends come to them or because theyre good friends all live near them or something.
    you will often have flats where everyone are really good friends, and then you will have friends of that friendship group who go to their flat etc.

EDIT: you will do most of your big shop at ASDA in town im 99% sure. the busses the mote from asda are much more regular, unless you want to take the U1 which would take you to uni then you will have to walk up the hill with your shopping to glen (10 min uphill brisk walk, not ideal with shopping)
    basicaly the busses the monte are way better, espesh for asda.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and on another note, lots of people choose glen because its greener than monte, which is true, its much more pretty, but monte has stoneham common right by it, which is used to go to all the time with friends to play football etc and theres a mini golf course there, check it out on google maps ariel view its really big, so as long as you dont mind that the view out your window is grey and often with just the big monte 4 story blocks then monte is fine.

edit: found this for you
    this is an enhanced room with a washbasin, which is what i had, you have LOADS of storage space so its well worth getting the "enhanced" bit otherwise if you dont get enhanced your in monte 1 which means you share a kitchen between loads of people, you dont want that, monte 2 which is only enhanced you share between 6 i think, monte 1 you share between at least double that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callipygian)
    Oh and on another note, lots of people choose glen because its greener than monte, which is true, its much more pretty, but monte has stoneham common right by it, which is used to go to all the time with friends to play football etc and theres a mini golf course there, check it out on google maps ariel view its really big, so as long as you dont mind that the view out your window is grey and often with just the big monte 4 story blocks then monte is fine.

edit: found this for you
    this is an enhanced room with a washbasin, which is what i had, you have LOADS of storage space so its well worth getting the "enhanced" bit otherwise if you dont get enhanced your in monte 1 which means you share a kitchen between loads of people, you dont want that, monte 2 which is only enhanced you share between 6 i think, monte 1 you share between at least double that.
    Ahh useful information!

Looks like I might opt for an enhance room :awesome:
    Thanks for the help once again

ReputationRep:
    no problem

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Thanks
    I am pretty sure (not 100%) that the only places where you don't get a washbasin yourself in wessex lane is for a select few rooms in monte 1. In these rooms you share your own private washbasin with one other person and it's right outside your door. You don't have to use the one in the toilet that everyone else uses. If you really want to go budget then you wouldn't be missing out on much. Also, you get extra space in your room which can be handy!

The thing with 20ish sharing a kitchen is that you actually get two kitchens which are ajoined so you're effectively sharing a kitchen between 10 which isn't much over the 7 in monte 2&3. Also, not everyone will be cooking at the same time so no problems with that. (In fact, last year one of my housemates only ate sandwiches so he was never in the kitchen!) They're cleaned every day during the working week so it can get a bit untidy but it won't get dirty. It's actually more fun having a lot of people in your flat because you find that not getting on with someone doesn't matter because there are others you'll like and monte has 1000s of students in it so it's really likely that your friends will live there too even if they're not in the same block!

Monte 1 is dead cheap and it's quite old so the decor doesn't look fantastic but everything is functional and to be honest, you'll look forward to having the extra money you saved from being in there. The complex is pretty green, there are gardens and bbqs sprinkled around. There's also a massive park thing behind Stoneham (i think that's how you spell it) house which is just over the road. Very popular in the summer and when it snows!

Oh, one final thing is that Monte is serviced by 6 buses an hour during the day all of which go into town/uni so even though it's about 20 minutes walk away it's a 5 minute bus journey which is quicker than getting from Glen which only has 2 buses an hour and you get a free bus pass with any university hall so that's nice and easy.

Monte til I die! (I was in monte 1 by the way so first hand info!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I am pretty sure (not 100%) that the only places where you don't get a washbasin yourself in wessex lane is for a select few rooms in monte 1. In these rooms you share your own private washbasin with one other person and it's right outside your door. You don't have to use the one in the toilet that everyone else uses. If you really want to go budget then you wouldn't be missing out on much. Also, you get extra space in your room which can be handy!

The thing with 20ish sharing a kitchen is that you actually get two kitchens which are ajoined so you're effectively sharing a kitchen between 10 which isn't much over the 7 in monte 2&3. Also, not everyone will be cooking at the same time so no problems with that. (In fact, last year one of my housemates only ate sandwiches so he was never in the kitchen!) They're cleaned every day during the working week so it can get a bit untidy but it won't get dirty. It's actually more fun having a lot of people in your flat because you find that not getting on with someone doesn't matter because there are others you'll like and monte has 1000s of students in it so it's really likely that your friends will live there too even if they're not in the same block!

Monte 1 is dead cheap and it's quite old so the decor doesn't look fantastic but everything is functional and to be honest, you'll look forward to having the extra money you saved from being in there. The complex is pretty green, there are gardens and bbqs sprinkled around. There's also a massive park thing behind Stoneham (i think that's how you spell it) house which is just over the road. Very popular in the summer and when it snows!

Oh, one final thing is that Monte is serviced by 6 buses an hour during the day all of which go into town/uni so even though it's about 20 minutes walk away it's a 5 minute bus journey which is quicker than getting from Glen which only has 2 buses an hour and you get a free bus pass with any university hall so that's nice and easy.

Monte til I die! (I was in monte 1 by the way so first hand info!)
    Thanks for the input
    I was thinking of Monte 1 (because it's the cheapest, and I want to save money). Are the toilet/shower/kitchen stuff all functional? (just wondering, because I've heard in other unis some of their stuff aren't functional!)

Everyone on this forum makes Wessex Lane sound like the greatest part to live in! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input
    I was thinking of Monte 1 (because it's the cheapest, and I want to save money). Are the toilet/shower/kitchen stuff all functional? (just wondering, because I've heard in other unis some of their stuff aren't functional!)

Everyone on this forum makes Wessex Lane sound like the greatest part to live in! :p:
    That's because wessex lane is! :P Nah, only joking - of course everyone has their preferences but i personally found glen too expensive and too impersonal (everything's really really white and samey!).

As for the showers and loos, we had 4 of each in the flat and they all worked well. There were occasional blockages which is to be found with any loo or shower i guess but they were fixed really quickly once we bothered to report them! The showers were variable. In my half of the flat (the flat is split into two bits, one either side of the stairs, but you can get into either side with your key because one side has all the kitchen facilities) we had a really nice shower which was uber powerful and a good temperature (the only trouble is that you've got to be really really careful with the temperature controler because the smallest movement and its temperature changes really rapidly - you soon get used to it though!) and the other shower was a bit weedy but ok. On the other side they had a shower which got named 'the fire shower' because it was constantly just boiling. The conclusion was that you just used them all until you found your favourite and used that. I don't think there was ever a time where i couldn't get into the shower i liked when i wanted just because the whole flat were on different timetables and different routines. It worked well.

Also, i literally cannot believe the extents i've gone to to procrastinate.. writing a massive post about showers... whatever next?! Anyway, pm me or quote me in this thread if you want any other monte 1 questions answering!

Edit: Oh, the kitchen was fine too... we blew up 3 microwaves and got new ones pretty much the next day... and a cooker too... and they fixed a few cupboard doors which got bashed off their hinges... we were quite a roudy floor!

ReputationRep:
    Everything works, and if it breaks (we broke our loo) they fix it. Actualy we were really lucky after living in our flat for about 3 weeks we got a brand new oven and bridge freezer, the reception people are really good about fixing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Info in this thread has been priceless; it's prbably wessex lane for me, i do prefer casual "hanging out" rather than partying/ clubbing too often, but if there's that many people i'm guessing it won't matter, plus it sounds more convenient in terms of area etc. Cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    Info in this thread has been priceless; it's prbably wessex lane for me, i do prefer casual "hanging out" rather than partying/ clubbing too often, but if there's that many people i'm guessing it won't matter, plus it sounds more convenient in terms of area etc. Cheers guys
    you can hang out or party/club all the time at either of the two very easily i agree i like wessex lane's location much more too though

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget about small halls guys! I'm in Gateley at the moment, and although it's a bit further from uni, it's closer to town (a really short walk) so it's closer to most of the night life (if that's what you're into). I have friends in both Monte and Glen, and all say they would prefer living here (which is really evident by how much time they spend here! Lol). Flat sizes are also a bonus. There are 7 in my flat, and we have quite a large kitchen so there's always space to do your cooking/sit down and eat.

The rooms are quite small though, but highly manageable - more than enough space to be honest. We also have a nice common room with flat screen tv, sofas, vending machines etc. There's a privately owned bar just down the road as well (which is used for many of the JCR events), which serves reasonably priced drinks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 26, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Southampton
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 9 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.