x Turn on thread page Beta

Has fear of discrimination gone too far? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    question's in the title. i ask because i just read this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...pplicants.html

Spoiler:
    Show
    yes i know it's in the daily mail and most of you guys hate that, but it's not my bible and i take everything i read with a pinch of salt

ReputationRep:
    HELL yes!

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it's just one person at a job centre not understanding the laws, and as usual the Mail have made it headline news about government policy.

ReputationRep:
    Thats really bad! If its like this why is only the daily mail writing about it?

Yesterday the Department for Work and Pensions said it could not comment on the conversation Mrs Mamo had with the member of staff at Thetford.
    However, a spokesman insisted her original advert had run on the Jobcentre Plus website and on computer terminals in branches.
    She added: 'Reliability is important to employers and we welcome ads seeking reliable applicants.'
    Is that the end of the thread?

ReputationRep:
    People are too afraid of saying things for fear of being accused of being racist, sexist, prejudiced etc in the UK, they need a strong- minded, pragmatic person in power who isn't afraid to pussyfoot around people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ......?)
    Nope, it's just one person at a job centre not understanding the laws, and as usual the Mail have made it headline news about government policy.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ntre-Plus.html

it's not just the mail apparently (not that this is much better) :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ntre-Plus.html

it's not just the mail apparently (not that this is much better) :p:
    I still think that it is trying to make the same point as the mail, that it's PC gone mad when in reality it's one person who doesn't understand the rules, and it's been taken out of context, this isn't a government policy.

"A spokeswoman for the Department for Work and Pensions refused to comment on the phone call made to Nicole Mamo.

She said: “We cannot comment about the phone call. I can confirm that we took the advert from the employer and put it onto our website. Every advert goes onto our website and onto the job points.

“Reliability is important to employers, as it is for Jobcentre Plus - and we welcome ads seeking reliable applicants.”"

Look at the way they say that the spokewoman refused to comment on the phone call even though it's like you being asked about a phone call your boss made to another worker, how are you supposed to know what was said? She didn't refuse to comment, she couldn't comment.

She even said we welcome adverts for reliable employers.

They also left this part to the end of the article because if it had been put at the beginning there would be no article.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ......?)
    I still think that it is trying to make the same point as the mail, that it's PC gone mad when in reality it's one person who doesn't understand the rules, and it's been taken out of context, this isn't a government policy.

"A spokeswoman for the Department for Work and Pensions refused to comment on the phone call made to Nicole Mamo.

She said: “We cannot comment about the phone call. I can confirm that we took the advert from the employer and put it onto our website. Every advert goes onto our website and onto the job points.

“Reliability is important to employers, as it is for Jobcentre Plus - and we welcome ads seeking reliable applicants.”"

Look at the way they say that the spokewoman refused to comment on the phone call even though it's like you being asked about a phone call your boss made to another worker, how are you supposed to know what was said? She didn't refuse to comment, she couldn't comment.

She even said we welcome adverts for reliable employers.

They also left this part to the end of the article because if it had been put at the beginning there would be no article.
    well you're right, i'm not going to argue with you.. but i'm still asking the question of whether it's gone too far, the article was just a sort of back up..

so i perhaps shouldn't have posted the link to the telegraph as well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Thats really bad! If its like this why is only the daily mail writing about it?
    Because it's the one news source we have that doesn't compromise honest, incisive journalism for cynical populism. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.