Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, i thought i'd kick things off.

ReputationRep:
    started well, but i didnt like the last couple of questions. What were the reagents?

ReputationRep:
    i found that hard compared to the ring chains and spectoscopy papers defernitly 3 question espally the last one the anhydride one and the sterisomers one what did people think.....what answers did people get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey01)
    i found that hard compared to the ring chains and spectoscopy papers defernitly 3 question espally the last one the anhydride one and the sterisomers one what did people think.....what answers did people get?
    Definitely true. The past papers from the OLD spec were a doddle.

ReputationRep:
    The azo dye and nucleophilic addition mechanism q's were a gift though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoOtYdUdE)
    The azo dye and nucleophilic addition mechanism q's were a gift though.
    yeah i liked the amino acid questions as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpd5)
    yeah i liked the amino acid questions as well!

ReputationRep:
    oo for the amio acid the one they drew and you had to name what did you guys right i wrote valine looool

ReputationRep:
    and what was the ragents and things for the last question dying to know....any chance of a unoffical marksheme

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys reckon the grade boundaries will be like?

ReputationRep:
    What ester did everyone get?

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys reckon the grade boundaries will be like?
    i think they'll be quite high due to most of the questions being ok but it wont be THAT high cos of the last question i reckon...

ReputationRep:
    I think TBH the reagents don't really matter, as long as they're chemically justified. I.e there were no specific ones.

I put HNO3 for both, even though I know those won't be easilly nitrated, ethanol for the second to make an ester, and dilute HCL for the last (nitrogen has a lone pair and thus can accept an H+ from the acid). The last one is a little iffy, since while it's technically true, whether they'll class it as an organic compound is 50/50. They might also say it was hydrolysed by it, so :/.

Hoping for a good A on this, and that and the NMR parts are the only places I feel I couldve lost some marks, so fingers crossed.

On the plus side, no more exams for 4 months. Whoo. Bad side, practical assesment on rates tomorrow, boo.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a pretty nice exam, but the last question was a bit nasty >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mooley)
    What ester did everyone get?
    the one with 0-CH3 on the right hand side does that make any sense? :o:

ReputationRep:
    the one with 0-CH3 on the right hand side does that make any sense? :o:
    i think it was summat like (CH3)2CHCOOCH3 :o:

ReputationRep:
    it was an ok exam.. i put febr3 for the reacts with both... is that right? I think it was mostly good, last question was a bit tricksy

ReputationRep:
    I am a tutor in chemistry and also head of department at grammar school. Today I sat this examination paper and I was overwhelmed by the aura it emanated. As a result, I have now resigned from my post and intend to jump off from my first floor bedroom continuously until I bleed profously. Good day sir!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey01)
    oo for the amio acid the one they drew and you had to name what did you guys right i wrote valine looool
    Well for the amino acid sequence question i got something like valine...glycine..and leucine..i think. But im not to sure, i totally agree with dpd5 that the exam went fron nice to nasty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desertwarrior)
    it was an ok exam.. i put febr3 for the reacts with both... is that right? I think it was mostly good, last question was a bit tricksy
    The SUN(il) is bright today! :p:

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.