Turn on thread page Beta

POST-EXAM CHAT: OCR Chemistry- Rings, Polymers and Analysis - F324 thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Was there a ketone on either paracetemol or Aspirin?

I didnt see one!

ReputationRep:
    The last part of the exam was a lot harder than the first bit and there wasn't enough time! Completely messed up the last question, said something like HCl, NaBH4 and acidified potassium dichromate, which I think are wrong, and I definitely drew the structures wrong. The anhydride I also got wrong, and a few other things. Part of me thinks I did well, part of me really doesn't...I'm worried. Not as bad as bio though!

ReputationRep:
    And I'll ask again since nobody is responding:
    On the last question:
    Halogenalkane with peptide bond in one of them (can't remember whether aspirin or paracetamol), would it work to form a tertiary amine??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    Er… it was 3 amino acids, but it was the same monomer unit. It just alternated up and down. It asked for the single monomer that it was made of, which was valine.

Unless I started imagining things halfway through the paper, which now worries me.

It did ask for a single one, and one mark for a single answer.
    I wrote valine too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lillabuyx)
    It did ask for a single one, and one mark for a single answer.
    I wrote valine too
    NO it did not ask for a single one at all.
    I'm sorry, but the answer definitely was three amino acids, not one. It isn't possible that they are all made from valine! There is no two ways about it.

ReputationRep:
    Paper was difficult. I think I did alright but for some questions I thought, "some people are going to be clueless". Amino acid sequence was definitely Valine, Glycine & Leucine - putting just Valine you won't get the mark. Last question for both pareacetamol and aspirin you could have NaOH or just Na I think to form the O-Na+ and COO-Na+. I didn't get that though I stupidly just plonked NH2 on each because I was literally so rushed I didn't have time to think - only one minute left at that point! For the separate ones I added an ester link using an alcohol with the one with the acid group and vice versa. I forgot to put in the conc. H2SO4 though Not even sure I'll get the marks for the esterification! Could have had bromine water for the phenol group and people have been saying NaBH4 for the carboxyl group but I believe from what I've read on here that it's not strong enough.

Also, I know now that I got the structure of ethanoic anhydride wrong but know for a fact that if I had had time to check I would have amended it. Very disappointed with being so rushed and making stupid mistakes. If I'd have had 10 more minutes I would have another 10 marks in the bag. Another stupid mistake, put relative solubility instead of adsorption for the chromatography question and I would have amended that as well. Quite annoyed reallly. Possibility I may choose to resit in June. Good luck everyone with your results Does anybody know the results date yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chunkeymonkey62)
    Was there a ketone on either paracetemol or Aspirin?

I didnt see one!
    There was indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to use HCl for the last question when paracetamol and aspirin are hydrolysed?

ReputationRep:
    How many marks has everyone counted, that they have lost so far?

ReputationRep:
    My sixth form are giving out results on 12th March

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedus)
    There was indeed.
    It wasn't a ketone it was an ester no? It was attached to an Oxygen as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    How many marks has everyone counted, that they have lost so far?
    Must have lost 5-7 marks easily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa121)
    Yup something to do with how you would use it..and one of the answers was adsorption..something like that :s not too sure
    Haha, I put adsorbtion :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I may have lost, now that we have discussed the answers, 11-12 marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    Haha, I put adsorbtion :facepalm:
    LOL!! aaahhh no worries...u still may get the mark? At least u didnt put absorption

ReputationRep:
    For the last question, part C: the alcohol was a secondary alcohol right? so when u add acidified dichromate you get a ketone?

Agree anyone? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meiming8)
    The last part of the exam was a lot harder than the first bit and there wasn't enough time! Completely messed up the last question, said something like HCl, NaBH4 and acidified potassium dichromate, which I think are wrong, and I definitely drew the structures wrong. The anhydride I also got wrong, and a few other things. Part of me thinks I did well, part of me really doesn't...I'm worried. Not as bad as bio though!
    I put those exact same three answers as you xD

I realise now that it should not have been HCL, but H20.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

My face is really starting to sting :p:

I can count 7 marks that I've definitely lost. There's bound to be more elsewhere. Dissapointed with how that went, but now it's all about the summer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _lynx_)
    I put those exact same three answers as you xD

I realise now that it should not have been HCL, but H20.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

My face is really starting to sting :p:

I can count 7 marks that I've definitely lost. There's bound to be more elsewhere. Dissapointed with how that went, but now it's all about the summer!
    Maybe we're right then? No one's actually put the right answers up yet, I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_wise)
    For the last question, part C: the alcohol was a secondary alcohol right? so when u add acidified dichromate you get a ketone?

Agree anyone? x
    But it was on a benzene ring, so I'm not sure if that would work out...

I wrote the same thing as you btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_wise)

Agree anyone? x
    No, it doesn't work. You would end up with carbon having five bonds, which doesn't work.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.