Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That question about the difference in reactivity with bromine between Phenol, Bromine and Cyclohexene...

Only worth 5 marks? I took up the whole page answering that question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vazverma9)
    Siriously the peaks were small and its not just me alot of other people also counted 5, i dont understand the point of making them small.

I guess its kind of my fault for not looking hard enough then again i was rushed for time and soo was most others
    dont worry i can definitely see how the mistake can be made :/
    i mustv done it millions of times before when practising so i always watch out for those tiny bumps (not even peaks lol) on the outside

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeHogan)
    That question about the difference in reactivity with bromine between Phenol, Bromine and Cyclohexene...

Only worth 5 marks? I took up the whole page answering that question
    well you can be confident that you got 5 marks
    i actually didnt fill up the box, but should have put all the relevant info

ReputationRep:
    Guys, not sure wether this has been mentioned already or not but for the TLC ( Thin layer chromatography ) - the process is not adsorption because the stationary phase is a solid and the mobile phase is a liquid in TLC, hence the process is seperation by relative solubility. In GC, the stationary phase is either a liquid or solid on a solid support with a mobile phase being a gas and therefore the process in GC for seperation is adsorption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Valine on it's own isn't right.

It's Valine, gylcine and leucine.
    I'm 100% on that one.
    Yeh I agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    Guys, not sure wether this has been mentioned already or not but for the TLC ( Thin layer chromatography ) - the process is not adsorption because the stationary phase is a solid and the mobile phase is a liquid in TLC, hence the process is seperation by relative solubility. In GC, the stationary phase is either a liquid or solid on a solid support with a mobile phase being a gas and therefore the process in GC for seperation is adsorption.
    TLC is always adsorption, the Silica gel (or Aluminium oxide) is polar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy892)
    In paracetamol (I've now worked this out), there is a peptide bond.
    Is it possible that this could react with a halogenoalkane because the lone pair on the nitrogen atom would attack the electron defficient carbon in the C-X bond?
    Therefore, this would be a reagent used that would only react with paracetamol, as the same cannot be said for aspirin..
    Can a peptide bond also be called an amide bond?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa121)
    isn't it just easier to call it a peptide bond?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sa121)
    think so yeah

ReputationRep:
    Which ester are people thinking? (CH3)2CHCOOCH3 or CH3COOCH(CH3)2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr van der WAALs)
    For the last question I put:
    Reagent A: NaOH produce salt of carboxylate and phenolic salt
    Reagent B: KOH - reactive metal reacts with COOH functional group in asprin
    Reagent C: Br2 again - only reaction i could think of with phenol at the time :|
    I put all them 3 too right or wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    TLC is always adsorption, the Silica gel (or Aluminium oxide) is polar.
    True :o: I mixed the 2 up, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Which ester are people thinking? (CH3)2CHCOOCH3 or CH3COOCH(CH3)2?
    without a shadow of a doubt
    (CH3)2CHCOOCH3

ReputationRep:
    The question about the isoelectric points, what did everyone get? we didnt have to draw the whole amino acid did we?

ReputationRep:
    guys i cant remeber exactly but i think it was the second question, where you they asked u to write the formula for the oxidation of an aldeyhde, i noticed also so that there was an -OH group. so i wrote that the product was a -COOH group on both ends.

is that right??

ReputationRep:
    In the oxidation question with potassium dichromate i didn't realise that the aldehyde AND the alcohol would be oxidised to a carboxylic acid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    (CH3)2CHCOOCH3
    Was this the one NOT at the top right but below it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    (CH3)2CHCOOCH3
    Balls. Why couldn't it have been the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_wise)
    guys i cant remeber exactly but i think it was the second question, where you they asked u to write the formula for the oxidation of an aldeyhde, i noticed also so that there was an -OH group. so i wrote that the product was a -COOH group on both ends.

is that right??
    Yeah, I put that as well...is this the one where you get a dicarboxylic acid, and then you draw the mechanism? The mechanism was really hard to do for both sides...I don't know if I did it right, it seemed like an odd question :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    Balls. Why couldn't it have been the other?
    Because the shift values would've been completely different.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.