Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedus)
    Would you get away with saying a gas is given off?
    No idea, sorry. I didn't know there was a gas lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    A + C should be ok, but NaBH4 still can't reduce a -COOH group by itself. Like I said before, they might ALLOW it due to confusing it with LiAlH4, but it's still not technically true.
    I didn't right NaBH4 for B i wrot KOH

ReputationRep:
    A + C should be ok, but NaBH4 still can't reduce a -COOH group by itself. Like I said before, they might ALLOW it due to confusing it with LiAlH4, but it's still not technically true.
    It's been said quite a few times. Two of the books for the course, including the one written by the Chief Examiner, allows the reduction of a carboxylic acid with NaBH4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    It's been said quite a few times. Two of the books for the course, including the one written by the Chief Examiner, allows the reduction of a carboxylic acid with NaBH4.
    I once saw on a Math paper that two completely irrelevant answers were given full method marks.

It doesn't make them RIGHT, it just means that they've understood it would either be a common mistake or a common mixup with another compound. That's where we seem to have a difference of opinion.

ReputationRep:

I wrote NaBH4, but changed it to LiBH4 :facepalm: :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    basically, dont mess with the colonel!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BHAM!)
    I didn't right NaBH4 for B i wrot KOH
    I know, but you said you wanted at least 2 marks. KOH reacts with both. Bromine is iffy because Bromination generally doesn't take place in anything but primary Phenols. Not easilly at least... at least I think it doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I read these threads, it just depresses me when I realise all the stupid mistakes I made. I NEED an A in chem D;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_wise)
    the mechanism was nucleophillic addition surely, it was for the reduction of the aldehyde to alcohol?

am i right guys? x
    oh yeah, i got a dicarboxylic acid that is reduced though...

ReputationRep:
    I once saw on a Math paper that two completely irrelevant answers were given full method marks.

It doesn't make them RIGHT, it just means that they've understood it would either be a common mistake or a common mixup with another compound. That's where we seem to have a difference of opinion.
    For the purpose of our course, they allow the reduction of a Carboxylic acid with NaBH4. I doubt two different books have made the same mistake multiple times throughout.

ReputationRep:
    I know, but you said you wanted at least 2 marks. KOH reacts with both. Bromine is iffy because Bromination generally doesn't take place in anything but primary Phenols. Not easilly at least... at least I think it doesn't.
    right so bromine for part C would be wrong? and KOH for B would be wrong? :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a pretty good paper, finished with 10 minutes to go despite only reading the textbook this morning. Everyone else found it tricky :s:

ReputationRep:
    For the purpose of our course, they allow the reduction of a Carboxylic acid with NaBH4. I doubt two different books have made the same mistake multiple times throughout.
    Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

I KNOW they do. What im saying is that it isn't scientifically correct, and sometimes they overlook stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BHAM!)
    right so bromine for part C would be wrong? and KOH for B would be wrong? :sigh:
    Potassium hydroxide is definitely wrong since COO-K+ would be generated in Aspirin and O-K+ would be generated in Paracetamol.

Im not sure about the Bromine. I remember reading that anything other than Phenol resists Bromination like that due to the Pi-bond delocalisation. Don't quote me on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    I don't know why I read these threads, it just depresses me when I realise all the stupid mistakes I made. I NEED an A in chem D;
    totally know how you feel there!
    thought i'd done pretty good in this exam till I read this thread realised all the stupid mistakes

ReputationRep:
    Guyss i couldnt get my head aorund the sterio isomerism drawingss????!!!!!!! wat was that abouttt? :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeeJay)
    Guyss i couldnt get my head aorund the sterio isomerism drawingss????!!!!!!! wat was that abouttt? :\
    2 pairs of optical isomers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_J)
    totally know how you feel there!
    thought i'd done pretty good in this exam till I read this thread realised all the stupid mistakes
    samee!! its so depressingg, i was aiminggg for such a high A butt nowww it sucks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedus)
    basically, dont mess with the colonel!
    do you go to havant college too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desertwarrior)
    2 pairs of optical isomers
    i knew there was 2 chiral centres, each with 2 isomers hence 4, but how would yu draw then?? it was the way it was drwan that really put me off!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.