Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkarcher)
    For the last question I got totally confused and wrote NaOH and H2SO4 for the reagents of B and C as I thought the ester bond would have been hydrolysed by the alkali and the amide bond would have been hydrolysed by the acid. FML. Any chance it could also be right.
    C may have been alcohol related as there was an alcohol group present.

as with B, using NaOH can form an alkoxide as there was a carboxilic acid present.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_wise)
    what amino acid was it for the zwitterion question?!!!im desperate to know!!
    glycine i think lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)
    C may have been alcohol related as there was an alcohol group present.

as with B, using NaOH can form an alkoxide as there was a carboxilic acid present.

wasn't it OH + benzene and so a phenol? which would react differently to an alcohol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    this is the structure of the impurity?(so bored in school)

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    without a shadow of a doubt
    (CH3)2CHCOOCH3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    The formation of that impurity isn't actually possible in that reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Yeah, the NaBH4 provides the hydride ion H-. It is nucleophilic addition. The pi-bond electrons move into the oxygen, which is then protonated by the water.
    OMG...so peeved! Missed this question out caus I was unsure, thought that was the answer and forgot to go back! :O So thats at least four marks on top of all the other mistakes I made! Looks like a resit... DAMN!

ReputationRep:
    CRAP!

You know the optical isomer question?

Did you have to change the bonds, like move the wedges and dashed lines around? Because I only reversed the two groups. :O

Is that wrong?

ReputationRep:
    The formation of that impurity isn't actually possible in that reaction.
    Can I ask why not?
    I got that for my answer and it seems to fit :confused: (even if they can't add up the amount of Cs in their structure )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    Can I ask why not?
    I got that for my answer and it seems to fit :confused: (even if they can't add up the amount of Cs in their structure )
    Because for that reaction to occur, a halogen carrier is needed, it's a Friedel Crafts reaction. The substitution will occur on the hydrogen of the amine group to form a tertiary amine.

ReputationRep:
    Because for that reaction to occur, a halogen carrier is needed, it's a Friedel Crafts reaction. The substitution will occur on the hydrogen of the amine group to form a tertiary amine.
    Ah right. I don't know anything about that reaction, and I didn't expect there to be any halogen carriers involved. The bit with the amine makes sense - didn't think of that at all :o:

I'll wave goodbye to even more marks now, and go find a resit form.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why not?

I can't remember if i got that structure or what really, however, their molecular formula was correct, I remember that much.

ReputationRep:
    just wondering if people got for the two monomers of nylon - 1,6-diaminohexane and hexanedioic acid...

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask why not?
    alright calm down! C10! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    just wondering if people got for the two monomers of nylon - 1,6-diaminohexane and hexanedioic acid...
    if it was Nylon-6,6 thatd be right, but i think the polymer had like HOOC-(CH2)8-COOH or sumfin like that, they were different to nylon-6,6 monomers anyway

ReputationRep:
    alright calm down! C10! :p:
    For some reason the tongue-sticky-out smilie didn't work properly to show my sarcasm that well :p:
    I'm impressed with the paint skills by the way, whenever I draw chemicals on there (for OU course, I don't do it in my spare time :p:)they look like something a cat with no paws might have managed.

ReputationRep:
    For some reason the tongue-sticky-out smilie didn't work properly to show my sarcasm that well :p:
    I'm impressed with the paint skills by the way, whenever I draw chemicals on there (for OU course, I don't do it in my spare time :p:)they look like something a cat with no paws might have managed.
    no it didn't
    ahaaa that's brilliant, what were you doing the OU course for? not nuffield by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    no it didn't
    ahaaa that's brilliant, what were you doing the OU course for? not nuffield by any chance?
    Nuffield? Not sure what that is?
    Got offered to do one of the shorter science ones for free by aimhigher notts, so took 'molecules, medicines and drugs' and passed, will hopefully prove useful

ReputationRep:
    I'm contemplating suicide. :puppyeyes:

Paper was okay apart from the last question, where I believe I have got 0/14 was it? So that is an A grade gone, never mind an A*. Resit, anyone? akdjflkj and the answers seem SO GLARINGLY OBVIOUS NOW

ReputationRep:
    Nuffield? Not sure what that is?
    Got offered to do one of the shorter science ones for free by aimhigher notts, so took 'molecules, medicines and drugs' and passed, will hopefully prove useful
    random but one of my friends has applied to the same Unis as you (except London rejection instead of Edinbourgh) for vet met and got the exact same responses

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.