Turn on thread page Beta

POST-EXAM CHAT: OCR Chemistry- Rings, Polymers and Analysis - F324 thread watch

ReputationRep:
    I think that was the ester i got

I didn't like the reagents question, but i found everything else alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemguy)
    I am a tutor in chemistry and also head of department at grammar school. Today I sat this examination paper and I was overwhelmed by the aura it emanated. As a result, I have now resigned from my post and intend to jump off from my first floor bedroom continuously until I bleed profously. Good day sir!
    Bye. :p:

ReputationRep:
    for reagent A i put hcl cause would hydrolyse both the ester link and the amide links... this not correct?
    for reagent C i put bromine, cause it would react with the phenol but not with the benzene ring of the first molecule... any thoughts on these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sensory Scorpion)
    Well for the amino acid sequence question i got something like valine...glycine..and leucine..i think. But im not to sure, i totally agree with dpd5 that the exam went fron nice to nasty!
    likewise

ReputationRep:
    and for reagent C i put Na, to make O-Na+ from the phenol.. is that right?

adzharmer that sounds right i put HCL for reagent B so got that wrong.. ah welll only 2 marks hopefully still should have got an A

ReputationRep:
    it was doable , i just lost my confidence right in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    i put bromine for the one that reacts with both ahh....the other to i just guessed like i think hcl then last one naoh done ask had no idea !!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it was too bad really, pretty much what I expected, no particuarly nasty questions except the last one possibly as it was a bit open ended and didn't really prompt you with clues much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey01)
    i put bromine for the one that reacts with both ahh....the other to i just guessed like i think hcl then last one naoh done ask had no idea !!
    the aspirin didn't have a phenol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh-H)
    I don't think it was too bad really, pretty much what I expected, no particuarly nasty questions except the last one possibly as it was a bit open ended and didn't really prompt you with clues much.
    why quote me for that lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkey01)
    oo for the amio acid the one they drew and you had to name what did you guys right i wrote valine looool
    I worte valine too, becaue it had a CH and two CH3's :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmalouise1990)
    I worte valine too, becaue it had a CH and two CH3's :confused:
    there were 3 amino acids...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desertwarrior)
    why quote me for that lol
    Sorry :P Didn't mean to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desertwarrior)
    there were 3 amino acids...
    Now I realise that.lol.:rolleyes: For the last question I thought it was talking about hydrolysis of amide links and ester links so I put HCL for B and NAOH for C.What products did everyone get? I got two products for each reaction...:o: I confusing myself.lol.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Please,please,please can someone work on an unofficial markscheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmalouise1990)
    Now I realise that.lol.:rolleyes: For the last question I thought it was talking about hydrolysis of amide links and ester links so I put HCL for B and NAOH for C.What products did everyone get? I got two products for each reaction...:o: I confusing myself.lol.:p:
    But am i not right in saying both esters & amides can be hydrolysed using both acid and base... its just that amide is easier to do with alkali... so durely hydrolysis only works for reagent A (both of them)... please can someone confirm this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adzharmer)
    for reagent A i put hcl cause would hydrolyse both the ester link and the amide links... this not correct?
    for reagent C i put bromine, cause it would react with the phenol but not with the benzene ring of the first molecule... any thoughts on these?
    HCl isn't the reagent though, it's the catalyst used in hydrolysis. If you wanted to show hydrolysis you would've needed to put H2O.

ReputationRep:
    But am i not right in saying both esters & amides can be hydrolysed using both acid and base... its just that amide is easier to do with alkali... so durely hydrolysis only works for reagent A (both of them)... please can someone confirm this?
    No hydrolysis works for both of them, you can hydrolyse a peptide bond and an ester link. I don't know why people are talking about HCl and NaOH, they aren't the reagents in hydrolysis, they're the catalyst.

ReputationRep:
    Er… it was 3 amino acids, but it was the same monomer unit. It just alternated up and down. It asked for the single monomer that it was made of, which was valine.

Unless I started imagining things halfway through the paper, which now worries me.

ReputationRep:
    Your right! My mind just went blank...and I knew that amides hydrolse best with acids and esters hydrolyse best with alkalis so I jus guessed.:o:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.