Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomooo)
    wasn't it OH + benzene and so a phenol? which would react differently to an alcohol
    darn you! i could've been perfectly ignorant of that fact now that i remember it!!! :p:

oh well, at least there were no seals...

ReputationRep:
    it looks like the grade boundaries are gonna be high now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)
    darn you! i could've been perfectly ignorant of that fact now that i remember it!!! :p:

haha that's true! chemistry is always so much more straightfoward than biology

<3 chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    Nuffield? Not sure what that is?
    Got offered to do one of the shorter science ones for free by aimhigher notts, so took 'molecules, medicines and drugs' and passed, will hopefully prove useful
    whey molceules, medicines and drugs..just sent my eca off!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone notice that two of the esters in the NMR question had the exact same structural formula, just reversed?!

It was the correct answer one (CH3)2CHCOOCH3 or something lol, The other ester was the same just the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    FACEBOOK GROUP:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#/g...6464299&ref=ts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidrah)
    Last question sucked!!
    I ended up making up some random formulas..
    and also, what did people get for the other observation of the bromination of phenol?
    the last questions was sooo hard! i just wrote random stuff was really running out of time,.. i said a white precipitate??? DK if thats right tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    FACEBOOK GROUP:

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#/g...6464299&ref=ts
    the OCR exam was a bit tricky, but it is A2. No need for a facebook group/campaign... nothing THAT wrong with the paper......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    It wasn't really unfair, especially considering it's actually impossible for there to be five peaks.
    Technically speaking - the five peaks could have been an overlapping multiplet in which case it could exist...but i doubt theyd ask us about that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BHAM!)
    Was that the bottom right in the corner? I don't remember which one i chose just that it wasn't the top right.
    Does anyone actually remember the 3 esters in that question? There was a (CH3)2CHCOOCH3 .. a CH3CH2COOCH2CH3 and one other.. can anyone remember the last one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    what answer did you get?
    a tertiary amine form or another ester bond?
    Is the tertiary amine where you have each half of the anhydride bonded to the N and then the other bond to phenol? Is that right. That's what I put but i'm not really sure.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Mickyy)
    Technically speaking - the five peaks could have been an overlapping multiplet in which case it could exist...but i doubt theyd ask us about that...
    There were 7 peaks....Cause it was adjacent to two CH3 groups

ReputationRep:
    I don't suppose anyone has a copy of the paper...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedus)
    isn't it just easier to call it a peptide bond?
    Isn't it just easier to call it an amide bond?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)

Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .captainsarah)
    Nuffield? Not sure what that is?
    Got offered to do one of the shorter science ones for free by aimhigher notts, so took 'molecules, medicines and drugs' and passed, will hopefully prove useful
    ahh i see, it's some scheme they run every year, where the nuffield foundation give you a bursary to do some work ex, i done mine at the OU in milton keynes

"I come from the Costa-Del-Chav in Nottinghamshire."
    made my day :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    There were 7 peaks....Cause it was adjacent to two CH3 groups
    i know but that guy said 5 peaks was impossible...

ReputationRep:
    i know but that guy said 5 peaks was impossible...
    Having five peaks, for the purpose of our course, means that there's four hydrogens adjacent. Given the fact it was an ester, and given the molecular formula, it wasn't possible for there to be four hydrogens on the adjacent carbon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Having five peaks, for the purpose of our course, means that there's four hydrogens adjacent. Given the fact it was an ester, and given the molecular formula, it wasn't possible for there to be four hydrogens on the adjacent carbon.
    i was speaking generally, not specific to the question (consider a H coupling to adjacent H's on two CH2 groups in the same environment)...but yes ur right..

ReputationRep:
    i was speaking generally, not specific to the question (consider a H coupling to adjacent H's on two CH2 groups in the same environment)...but yes ur right..
    I said that in response to someone who was speaking about the question, so I was responding in regards to the question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.