Turn on thread page Beta

POST-EXAM CHAT: OCR Chemistry- Rings, Polymers and Analysis - F324 thread watch

ReputationRep:
    what about the stereoisomer stuff???bloody confusing, was it about optical isomers?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. You basically just rotated the groups around the chiral carbon so they were mirror images. I think I might technically have drawn the same one twice, but eh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juman786)
    what about the stereoisomer stuff???bloody confusing, was it about optical isomers?
    Oh,you mean where we had to draw the other 3? I think it was about the arrangement of four different groups around the chiral carbon in otical isomers, unless im mistaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmalouise1990)
    Oh,where we had to draw the other three? I think that was about chiral carbons in opticla isomers, unless i'm mistaken.
    did u complete that Q?

ReputationRep:
    Timing is too short .. id prefer an extra 15 minutes to complete the paper with confidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juman786)
    did u complete that Q?
    yes, but I think I may have drawn the same one twice...it was a bit confusing.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuDizEe)
    Timing is too short .. id prefer an extra 15 minutes to complete the paper with confidence
    Agreed, most people were rushed.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe valine IS right??
    From what people have said I doubt it is right, but they could easily make it "right" in the mark scheme if everyone's put it. If you look at past mark schemes the acceptable answers are sometimes very different for similar questions in different years. It would appear that they prefer to harshen/soften the mark schemes than have very high or low boundaries.

And when revising I even saw mark schemes where it says "question unclear - award mark".

ReputationRep:
    Maybe valine IS right??
    Valine on it's own isn't right.

It's Valine, gylcine and leucine.
    I'm 100% on that one.

ReputationRep:
    There were 2 chirals a think. Unless I'm mistaken since I was kinda rushing at that point. I just rotated the top part, left the bottom alone, rotated the bottom, left the top alone, and then rotated the whole thing so it was an enantiomer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RuDizEe)
    It wasn't too bad imo.
    I'd finished by 45 mins and checked thoroughly by 55 mins...

Although 5 mins after i walked out i realised that i got one wrong.
    Stupid putting alcohol as functional group when it was a phenol.
    1 mark lost at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    From what people have said I doubt it is right, but they could easily make it "right" in the mark scheme if everyone's put it. If you look at past mark schemes the acceptable answers are sometimes very different for similar questions in different years. It would appear that they prefer to harshen/soften the mark schemes than have very high or low boundaries.

And when revising I even saw mark schemes where it says "question unclear - award mark".
    I've seen that "question unclear" bit in past mark schemes too, so lets hope that they allow the mark.It seems like the majority of us are on the same wavelength so to speak, so valine was probably a popular answer.Either that or we're all idiots, and I seriously doubt that.lol.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    It wasn't too bad imo.
    I'd finished by 45 mins and checked thoroughly by 55 mins...

Although 5 mins after i walked out i realised that i got one wrong.
    Stupid putting alcohol as functional group when it was a phenol.
    1 mark lost at least.
    Oh no I put hydroxyl group too!!! I just realised! :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dpd5)
    started well, but i didnt like the last couple of questions. What were the reagents?
    Yup must admit felt the same

ReputationRep:
    Think the paper was decent. I think that I found the majority of it OK. I know for certain that I have lost two marks stupidly, however: I said that you could reduce a carboxylic acid for the last question. Can you add a halogenoalkane to the NH group in paracetamol? I wasn't sure, so I put it anyway, in other words, it would form a tertiary amine?? And yes, I said NaOH would react with both, but yes it would form two productS.
    Have heard a lot of people complaining about the lack of time to complete the paper, however. It seems as if they are giving too few marks for some questions. That meant I didn't have time to go back through and check all of my answers, and I felt as if I was rushing at the end, which I never like. That means I will have probably made some more silly mistakes
    The paper seemed to be fairly comprehensive and covered most aspects of the spec - even if only briefly..

ReputationRep:
    i thought the exam was ok...i didnt relli like the question about drawing 3D images...it confused me :confused: and was only 3 marks . hoping for an A too but it felt rushedd and a crap way to end exams.

ReputationRep:
    Surely phenol isnt the group.... its a molecule... COOH is a group (cant form on its own), OH the same, NH2 the same... phenol can form on its own so surely its just a benzene ring with an alcohol func group, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adzharmer)
    Surely phenol isnt the group.... its a molecule... COOH is a group (cant form on its own), OH the same, NH2 the same... phenol can form on its own so surely its just a benzene ring with an alcohol func group, no?
    That's what I thought, I didn't think we were focusing on the OH group, but the CONH and COO groups??

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I put hydroxyl group too!!! I just realised! :o:
    There was a similiar question on one of the old papers I did and it said "phenol (allow benzene ring + hydroxyl/alcohol) so you might be alright.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I found that the most hideous chemistry paper ever :cry2:

For the last question my reagents where, in this order:

Naoh - as the both contain acid groups
    LiAl4 in dry ether - as the carboxylic acid group can be reduced back to an alcohol
    Br2 - Another phenol functionall group which activates the ring

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.