Turn on thread page Beta

POST-EXAM CHAT: OCR Chemistry- Rings, Polymers and Analysis - F324 thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmalouise1990)
    I agree, i'd say, considering we are the first year of the new A2 spec, that they will have to give some sort of consideration to the fact that we have no relevent past paper materials.
    They don't need to take that into account because everyone is in the same boat, obviously the lack of past paper material will bring the grade boundaries down, but that's due to people not performing as well.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was pretty easy. A lot of people put Na for the last question, but that would give a product which is ionic, and the question stated that the product must be organic. Do you think these people would still get the mark, or not?

ReputationRep:
    I took my time when I started but when the inspectors said "15 mins remaining!" I broke down. I actually started thinking what is the point of life!!
    1st half was okay but approaching the second half.....I knew from there that I was going to have to retake. NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    I thought this was pretty easy. A lot of people put Na for the last question, but that would give a product which is ionic, and the question stated that the product must be organic. Do you think these people would still get the mark, or not?
    why not it's still organic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    this is the structure of the impurity?(so bored in school)

yeah, that is correct as far as i'm aware. it would go on to react with the ethanoic acid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    (CH3)2CHCOOCH3
    Brill! Thats what I got.

I think I lost about 15 marks in the paper though ...missed mechanism out, couldnt get A on the last question, unsure of a couple of things... summer resit!

ReputationRep:
    u know the question with the anhydride and the 3 equations saying how it reacted etc.... what was under that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bucknasty)
    I took my time when I started but when the inspectors said "15 mins remaining!" I broke down. I actually started thinking what is the point of life!!
    1st half was okay but approaching the second half.....I knew from there that I was going to have to retake. NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!!
    Completely agree...too much for time given.

ReputationRep:
    :cool:
    check these out dude

just looking on chemguide i have a feeling it may still be able to react,

just trying to scrape back these marks!!
    (second is an anhydride)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy892)
    yeah, that is correct as far as i'm aware. it would go on to react with the ethanoic acid.
    No, a phenol won't react with a carboxylic acid as they are both acidic. It's the amine that reacts with the ethanoic acid.

ReputationRep:
    Last question: halogenalkane with peptide bond in one of them (can't remember whether aspirin or paracetamol), would it work to form a tertiary amine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanCarroll)
    check these out dude

just looking on chemguide i have a feeling it may still be able to react,

just trying to scrape back these marks!!
    That is a Friedel–Crafts reaction and requires a halogen carrier (AlCl3) in order for it to work.

ReputationRep:
    oh i remember it was a 1 marker saying draw what it is.. i drew a benzene with a COOH.. i had no idea lol that question screwed me over with that part, the 2 marker for drawing the equation and doing the impurity.. so lost 4 marks there and 2 marks last page.. other than that hopefully got an A

ReputationRep:
    No, a phenol won't react with a carboxylic acid as they are both acidic. It's the amine that reacts with the ethanoic acid.
    yeah but a phenol can react with acid anhydride, so it would work?

ReputationRep:
    you know what was great?
    the massive absence of green chemistry :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah but a phenol can react with acid anhydride, so it would work?
    It's a Friedel–Crafts reaction and requires a halogen carrier (AlCl3) in order for it to work.

ReputationRep:
    It's a Friedel–Crafts reaction and requires a halogen carrier (AlCl3) in order for it to work.
    So, it didn't make any mention of that in the question. it only asked if it was possible, and since it is then it MAY be ok.

Also NaBH4 will NOT reduce carboxylic acids. I put that, but realise it's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmalouise1990)
    I've seen that "question unclear" bit in past mark schemes too, so lets hope that they allow the mark.It seems like the majority of us are on the same wavelength so to speak, so valine was probably a popular answer.Either that or we're all idiots, and I seriously doubt that.lol.:p:
    The question specifically said name or list the sequence of amino acids, so sorry but you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    So, it didn't make any mention of that in the question. it only asked if it was possible, and since it is then it MAY be ok.

Also NaBH4 will NOT reduce carboxylic acids. I put that, but realise it's wrong.
    The point is that there isn't going to be a halogen carrier in the reaction mixture, so it's impossible for that to be formed. The question asked what impurity could be formed in the reaction, it's impossible for that to be formed.

It will reduce carboxylic acids, it says that they do in both the Cambridge book and the Smith & Older book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPF100)
    The question specifically said name or list the sequence of amino acids, so sorry but you are wrong.
    Yes, exactly. I don't know why all of these people are saying "question unclear". The question was completely clear and it was the three needed for the mark. It wasn't exactly hard.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 2, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.