Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    basically i'm getting married in august, i need to lose weight.
    i'm 9 stone 8lbs, 5foot tall, which puts me in the obese range BMI (ergh).
    i would like to lose at least a stone, if not a stone and a half to put me in a safe BMI range, and so i don't look fat!
    i've been going to the gym since before christmas, 3 times a week. i'm currently burning around 230 cals when i go, which i could really improve upon, maybe up to 300 cals. just i can't run for very long because i have asthma. does putting the teadmill on a high gradient and walking briskly have the same effect as running?
    i've cut down on my food. i usually have weetabix for breakfast, 4 ryvita with philadelphia and chopped salad with ham/salmon/tuna, a yoghurt and some fruit, and then dinner would be chicken/fish and veg, some nights with some potato, some nights with rice (carbs bad?)
    but for some reason, i haven't even lost a pound.

how can i improve and why am i not losing weight? i really don't want to be a flubbernought on my wedding day!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you need a better/more varied workout.
    your body may be used to long low intensity cardio...try HIIT it doesn't take long.

Incorporate some weights muscle burns more calories than fat. You won't become butch either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    i've been going to the gym since before christmas, 3 times a week. i'm currently burning around 230 cals when i go, which i could really improve upon, maybe up to 300 cals. just i can't run for very long because i have asthma.
    I can't run because my knees are dodgy. Get on the cross trainer! I found the motion difficult to start with, so I just started with five minutes, and adding five minutes every time I felt comfortable with what I was previously doing.

ReputationRep:
    things which i will list as key for your weight loss.

Soda diet minimize it.

Increase water intake, 6-8 glasses

You don't have to go gym maybe when you go shopping try taking the stairs and not the lift, try walking around more.

ReputationRep:
    i acutally quite enjoy the gym though.

as for the cross trainer, i don't find that it burns as many calories as say, the rower. it seems to take forever to burn anything worth calling home about.
    i'll have to try the weights. i've been using the hmm, i can't remember what it's called, but it's a bar that is attached to weights which you pull down behind your head.
    i just want to tone up in general, but more so on my arms, legs and tummy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atieah2009)
    things which i will list as key for your weight loss.

Soda diet minimize it.

Increase water intake, 6-8 glasses

You don't have to go gym maybe when you go shopping try taking the stairs and not the lift, try walking around more.
    If you want more immediate results try things like skipping, swimming and plenty of cardio workouts (things that make you breathe hard basically) I understand you have asthma? Take your pump with you, or incorporate a rest within your workouts, catch your breath back. What you are basically trying to do is take in as much oxygen as possible, aerobic respiration burns more calories. I'd suggest skipping, many athletes swear by it! Someone else mentioned weights, which I'm against for moral reasons, but it's true working your muscles does indeed burn a whole lot of calories, for this I'd reccomend pushups, sit ups and lunges.

Diet: More protein less carb, try eating more baked fish with no batter, grill instead of frying, salad is great! Some people are sceptical about fruits for weight loss, as they contain fructose-a carb. I'm asian so my mum cooks a lot of indian food, so for my example I'd eat less rice and more curry and I specially ask my mum to use no oil at all, all meats and even fish contain natural fats and oils that you can use to cook, or if that doesn't appetise you, use small amounts of olive oil or vegetable oil, unsaturated fats basically. These caninclude nuts and seeds, tesco does packs of these for pretty cheap. Hope this all helps! Remember there's no small effort way to losing weight unless you want to become seriously ill.

In summary: Cardio, muscle toning, less carbs+saturated fat, more protein!

ReputationRep:
    and one more think, STAY AWAY FROM PROCESSED FOOD FROM THE SUPERMARKET!!!!! they are high in salts and have been proven to lead to many diseases such as diabetes and obesity!

ReputationRep:
    it seems to take forever to burn anything worth calling home about.
    The little calorie counter thing tells me I burn 300cal in 20 minutes... that's not that long, is it? (or is it? I don't know...) How long do you spend doing cardio when you go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emkayu)
    Someone else mentioned weights, which I'm against for moral reasons,
    Eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sallycow)
    The little calorie counter thing tells me I burn 300cal in 20 minutes... that's not that long, is it? (or is it? I don't know...) How long do you spend doing cardio when you go?

maybe i'm not doing it right somehow. maybe i'll try it again next time i go, cuz i'm sure i don't do 300 cals in 20 mins lol. do you have it on a really high setting or something? i'm sure the last time i went on it, i was on if for 10 minutes, and gave up because i'd only burnt something stupid like, 25 cals.

(Original post by Emkayu)
    If you want more immediate results try things like skipping, swimming and plenty of cardio workouts (things that make you breathe hard basically) I understand you have asthma? Take your pump with you, or incorporate a rest within your workouts, catch your breath back. What you are basically trying to do is take in as much oxygen as possible, aerobic respiration burns more calories. I'd suggest skipping, many athletes swear by it! Someone else mentioned weights, which I'm against for moral reasons, but it's true working your muscles does indeed burn a whole lot of calories, for this I'd reccomend pushups, sit ups and lunges.

Diet: More protein less carb, try eating more baked fish with no batter, grill instead of frying, salad is great! Some people are sceptical about fruits for weight loss, as they contain fructose-a carb. I'm asian so my mum cooks a lot of indian food, so for my example I'd eat less rice and more curry and I specially ask my mum to use no oil at all, all meats and even fish contain natural fats and oils that you can use to cook, or if that doesn't appetise you, use small amounts of olive oil or vegetable oil, unsaturated fats basically. These caninclude nuts and seeds, tesco does packs of these for pretty cheap. Hope this all helps! Remember there's no small effort way to losing weight unless you want to become seriously ill.

In summary: Cardio, muscle toning, less carbs+saturated fat, more protein!

i do most of this anyway. i think i just need to do a bit of fine tuning.

i'm starting to see a bit of a difference, my work tunics fit better, i think... they might just be getting loser from washing. it's just i'm not seeing a difference on the scales, which is what puts me off.

thanks for all the tips though.

ReputationRep:
    You're slightly overweight for your height, not obese!. Plenty of cardio, avoid fats/carbs(long) and hopefully it spuld work out.

ReputationRep:
    i weighed myself last week, and i'd gone down to 9 stone 5.5lbs. i weighed myself today and have somehow put on 4 lbs! what is going on?
    the other problem i'm having, which is really embarrasing, is i'm really bloated and gassy, and can't stop farting. it's really gross, but it's only started since i overhauled my eating habbits, and started exercising.

ReputationRep:
    i weighed myself last week, and i'd gone down to 9 stone 5.5lbs. i weighed myself today and have somehow put on 4 lbs! what is going on?
    Don't focus on weight loss, it is no measure of what you're losing (or indeed gaining). Focus instead on how clothes fit, how you look, performance, bodyfat percentage, etc.

Your weight fluctuates by at least a couple of pounds on a daily basis depending on what you've eaten, drunk and excreted.

the other problem i'm having, which is really embarrasing, is i'm really bloated and gassy, and can't stop farting. it's really gross, but it's only started since i overhauled my eating habbits, and started exercising.
    You radically changed your diet, your body and your intestinal flora aren't used to it - give it a couple of weeks and everything will settle down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    Don't focus on weight loss, it is no measure of what you're losing (or indeed gaining). Focus instead on how clothes fit, how you look, performance, bodyfat percentage, etc.

Your weight fluctuates by at least a couple of pounds on a daily basis depending on what you've eaten, drunk and excreted.

You radically changed your diet, your body and your intestinal flora aren't used to it - give it a couple of weeks and everything will settle down.

i know, i think i'm probably building more muscle mass on my legs from all the cardio. i think i'm going to hide the scales for a bit.
    i hope it's only temporary, the flatulence, it's really embarrasing and makes me feel so ill.

ReputationRep:
    basically i'm getting married in august, i need to lose weight.
    i'm 9 stone 8lbs, 5foot tall, which puts me in the obese range BMI (ergh).
    i would like to lose at least a stone, if not a stone and a half to put me in a safe BMI range, and so i don't look fat!
    i've been going to the gym since before christmas, 3 times a week. i'm currently burning around 230 cals when i go, which i could really improve upon, maybe up to 300 cals. just i can't run for very long because i have asthma. does putting the teadmill on a high gradient and walking briskly have the same effect as running?
    i've cut down on my food. i usually have weetabix for breakfast, 4 ryvita with philadelphia and chopped salad with ham/salmon/tuna, a yoghurt and some fruit, and then dinner would be chicken/fish and veg, some nights with some potato, some nights with rice (carbs bad?)
    but for some reason, i haven't even lost a pound.

how can i improve and why am i not losing weight? i really don't want to be a flubbernought on my wedding day!
    No input on the dieting but

YAY CONGRATULATIONS!

Actually, I do have a little advice. Try HIIT- it makes working out so much easier! And 3 times a week isn't really enough when you're doing so little. Try to increase it by once each week.

1stly, HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training. E.g. 2 mins moderate speed, 1 minute fast speed, 2 mins moderate speed ... etc for the whole work out period. It accelerates fat burning LOADS!! It's a bit easier to control when you're running outside (non-treadmill) or using a cross trainer. Also take advantage of the programmes they have on the treadmill. There's usually a weight loss one. So do that!!

2ndly, increasing the number of times you go to the gym... do it like me:
    week 1-3 : 3 times/week -> give yourself some sort of reward e.g. i got myself an urban decay eyeshadow palette but if that doesn't float your boat perhaps a top you want?

week 4-6: 4 times/week ... etc

but obviously if you just don't have time, you don't. Remind yourself that 3 times is better than 0.

3rdly, diet. WOAH that is commitment I would die if I ate that little!! But if it fills you up good. Perhaps shift the carbs up to lunch? Apparently carbs at dinner is bad... I dunno though.

Also remember to mix things up every 6 weeks or so so you don't reach a plateau.
    Sorry for the essay-should really be doing homework- hope i helped!

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure your height/weight is in the obese range?

EDIT- your profile photo is very pretty , and stop eating lots of chocolate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.