Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if fluency in foreign languages can be an advantage while working at I-bank in London, if so in which roles? Sales? Trading? IB? Wealth Management?
    The languages I have in mind are Russian and Mandarin Chinese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phantom1987)
    I wonder if fluency in foreign languages can be an advantage while working at I-bank in London, if so in which roles? Sales? Trading? IB? Wealth Management?
    The languages I have in mind are Russian and Mandarin Chinese.
    Massive advantage in Sales, as I can attest to - was interviewed for Sales a few months ago, and seconds after looking at my CV the interviewer decided to switch languages.

However, Mandarin and Russian are hardly the easiest languages to learn if you don't already have a grasp. How are you planning on learning?

ReputationRep:
    Russian, Arabic and Mandarin. Excellent for sales.

French/German/Spanish/Norwegian will be particularly useful in IBD, and obviously in Sales as well.

ReputationRep:
    I am myself russian, born and raised in Moscow.

Concerning Mandarin, i have been studying it for more than 5 years now, studied in Beijing for 1 semester and visited China a number of times, including a short internship. However, my chinese is not fluent yet, and since i have some time before i start doing Msc at LSE next october, i wonder if I should put more effort in it and spend some more time somewhere in China to become fluent.

ReputationRep:
    I am myself russian, born and raised in Moscow.

Concerning Mandarin, i have been studying it for more than 5 years now, studied in Beijing for 1 semester and visited China a number of times, including a short internship. However, my chinese is not fluent yet, and since i have some time before i start doing Msc at LSE next october, i wonder if I should put more effort in it and spend some more time somewhere in China to become fluent.
    If you have Russian, English and fluent Mandarin then that will add a great deal to your CV, no doubt. If you can dedicate the time to becoming fluent in Mandarin then just do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    Massive advantage in Sales, as I can attest to - was interviewed for Sales a few months ago, and seconds after looking at my CV the interviewer decided to switch languages.

However, Mandarin and Russian are hardly the easiest languages to learn if you don't already have a grasp. How are you planning on learning?
    Haha, wow, how was that? What other languages can you speak?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Haha, wow, how was that? What other languages can you speak?
    It was fine, the interviewer was actually impressed. I speak German, but I'm learning a third language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    If you have Russian, English and fluent Mandarin then that will add a great deal to your CV, no doubt. If you can dedicate the time to becoming fluent in Mandarin then just do it.
    Thanks, appreciate your opinion.

I am at the same time contemplating whether I should take CFA I in June, but I guess I will have to make a choice, fluent mandarin or CFA I.

Do you, by any chance, know how CFA level 1 is viewed when applying for Sales?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, appreciate your opinion.

I am at the same time contemplating whether I should take CFA I in June, but I guess I will have to make a choice, fluent mandarin or CFA I.

Do you, by any chance, know how CFA level 1 is viewed when applying for Sales?
    You'll get CFA training and qualifications on the job. You won't learn languages on the job, bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the language! China has billions to invest and now it is up to you to sell them your stocks :p:

Most people in banking speak English anyway, but it might be the crucial point if you speak to them in their mother tongue. It is all about networking and sympathy, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    What about swedish, any useful?

ReputationRep:
    I would say go for it if you have the time and determination to learn Chinese. Very hard language for foreigners to learn but it certainly is a very valuable one alone side Russian language which ties nicely with Chinese economy.

CFA don't bother, you can do that in S&T and MD once warned me that people should not fo CFA until they actually work in the financial services.

ReputationRep:
    I think that languages are very very useful in WM: know some people who got SA/FT offers mainly because they spoke fluently Russian.
    Regarding sales or IBD, it's only a value added: I spoke three languages and studying other two, but the main advantage is actually only the possibility to apply at regional offices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deal_step)
    hey there,

which uni do you go to in moscow, do you study chinese there?

I went to the top Uni for Economics/Finance in Moscow. And yes, i studied chinese there. If you need further information, do not hesitate to PM me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.