Turn on thread page Beta

If this was an accident would it have been my fault? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was driving my dad's car (insured on it e.t.c), anyway I decided to move from the left lane to the right lane because I needed to go down another road later on.

Anyway I checked my blindspot and right mirror, there was one car which was pretty far down. So I indicated to move to the right hand and I was on the speed limit of 30 or there abouts. At this point I could see in the mirror the other car in the right hand lane was getting ridiculously close, he had put his footdown to stop me moving into the lane. He must have been going 50mph at least.

I did move into the right hand lane and in order to avoid hitting me he had to move into the left lane as he had no chance in breaking, lucky that lane was empty. He then horned and **** at me.

Btw I have been driving for several years now and never had an accident. But lets say he did hit me would it have been his fault? He was like almost twice over the limit?

ReputationRep:
    I wondered this because something very similar happened when i was in the car a while ago, except that we were going around the speed limit in the right lane, and there were loads of very slow moving cars in the left lane because they had jsut joined the dual carriageway, i think its your fault as your joining a new road effectively by comming into the right lane, but in any other situation going into the back of someone is the fault of the driver behind.
    I mean realisticaly in the situation he was in how could he have slowed down in time?

ReputationRep:
    Technically he was speeding, probably his fault. In reality proving that is impossible and you moved in front of him into his lane and he hit you meaning your insurance is likely to take the blame.

ReputationRep:
    yup, your fault.

regardless of speed traffic in right lane has right-of-way.

should of slowed down - if some1 did what u did to me i think I'd sound the horn & swear a bit at u too tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Thats why 'accidents' are no longer called accidents, they're supposed to be called 'incidents' because accident implies there is no blame/no fault.

The true answer is that if he goes in to the back of you then its his fault, in the scenario you described.

If you had a collision sideways on, ie, you went into the side of his car by pulling out, it would be your fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sam.hunton)
    Technically he was speeding, probably his fault. In reality proving that is impossible and you moved in front of him into his lane and he hit you meaning your insurance is likely to take the blame.
    well no its not; if the crash happened at the side of the car then its the person who pulled into the right hand lanes fault, whereas if the crash happened at the rear of the car its the other persons fault ie the guy who went into the back of you

ReputationRep:
    But surely the damage he would have done to the back of my car would prove he is no way going at 30mph. I am shocked people think this was my fault. Ok granted, I am moving into his lane, but he decided to SPEED UP to almost 50mph to not let me in, what the hell.

To prove he was not in control of his vehicle and unable to stop, he moved into the left lane. I could understand if I moved into the right hand land and didn't pick up speed, but I actually moved in safely and in good speed. I just didn't take into account that someone will increase their speed x2 to stop me entering lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    well no its not; if the crash happened at the side of the car then its the person who pulled into the right hand lanes fault, whereas if the crash happened at the rear of the car its the other persons fault ie the guy who went into the back of you
    The crash would have happened at the back 100% sorry if I wasn't clear before. That's what I am saying, initially he was really far behind that's why I moved into the right lane. But he decided to floor it to stop me or something, and he would have gone into the back of me if it wasn't for him quickly going into the left lane.

ReputationRep:
    There would be no police involvement unless there was serious injury in which case the damage would not be evaluated against speed, just cost. I dont think it was your fault, just that insurance companies see things differently.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, dodgy one but perhaps your insurance companies would settle on a 50/50 thing because you were both in the wrong really. Although, speeding is illegal whereas what you did was just a bit wrong. It's debatable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    I was driving my dad's car (insured on it e.t.c), anyway I decided to move from the left lane to the right lane because I needed to go down another road later on.

Anyway I checked my blindspot and right mirror, there was one car which was pretty far down. So I indicated to move to the right hand and I was on the speed limit of 30 or there abouts. At this point I could see in the mirror the other car in the right hand lane was getting ridiculously close, he had put his footdown to stop me moving into the lane. He must have been going 50mph at least.

I did move into the right hand lane and in order to avoid hitting me he had to move into the left lane as he had no chance in breaking, lucky that lane was empty. He then horned and **** at me.

Btw I have been driving for several years now and never had an accident. But lets say he did hit me would it have been his fault? He was like almost twice over the limit?
    No offence but why are you so bothered about it? I see these things happening all the time?!

ReputationRep:
    There would be no police involvement unless there was serious injury in which case the damage would not be evaluated against speed, just cost. I dont think it was your fault, just that insurance companies see things differently.
    You're meant to report all crashes to the police so there should be involvement.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    If you could see him, you should have stayed in the left lane until he'd passed. By the sound of it at the speed he was going, it would have only been a few seconds. Yes he was in the wrong, but you moving out when you could see he didn't have the distance to break was a very bad move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    No offence but why are you so bothered about it? I see these things happening all the time?!
    I don't know lol. I have been driving for several years and am pretty calm on the road. I think the way he thought he was in the right really got to me, sounding his horn and gesturing at me, I felt like crashing into the back of him and kicking the crap out of him tbh, better to vent frustration on tsr :p:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, in almost 100% of incidents where a car goes into the back of another, it's the one who is behind's fault. It's very difficult to convince an insurance company or the police of it being the other way around, as you have a responsibilty to keep reasonable breaking distance from the car in front.

EDIT: I used to work in the accounts & operations at an estate agent who had a car fleet of 200 cars+, I used to deal with the admin of the insurance claims & encountered several similar incidents to this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snoogy)
    If you could see him, you should have stayed in the left lane until he'd passed. By the sound of it at the speed he was going, it would have only been a few seconds. Yes he was in the wrong, but you moving out when you could see he didn't have the distance to break was a very bad move.
    Actually he was at the "correct speed" and distance when I was in the process of moving in. It's only as I moved in he sped up loads for some reason and went into the back of me.

Anyway just glad I saved my Dad's car :o:
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Actually he was at the "correct speed" and distance when I was in the process of moving in. It's only as I moved in he sped up loads for some reason and went into the back of me.

Then it'd be entirely his fault :yep:

In your original post you said you saw him and then moved over which would have been both of your messing up.

ReputationRep:

You would never, ever be able to prove he was speeding. If you had moved into the side of him, it would of been your fault, regardless of his speed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    You're meant to report all crashes to the police so there should be involvement.
    Well thats not true. You need to repot crashes that have involved a serious injury or where a driver failed to stop/give details or where roadside furniture has been damaged.

All others need to be reported to insurance only.

Not to mention the police will only evaluate the damage if there was a serious injury or death.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, I understand now. Back of me=his fault. Side=my fault. Usually anyway!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.