Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If this was an accident would it have been my fault? watch

(Original post by hothedgehog)
    Yeah, dodgy one but perhaps your insurance companies would settle on a 50/50 thing because you were both in the wrong really. Although, speeding is illegal whereas what you did was just a bit wrong. It's debatable.
    Insurance companies love nothing better than going 50/50, lose your no claims yet they only pay out half the money. Heaven for them.

ReputationRep:
    I would have assumed that it would be entirely your fault?

Yes he was a prick for speeding and I'm glad you gave him a shock, but you can't move over unless its clear. It sounds to me like you slightly misjudged his speed. Most people will let you move over if you are indicating, but you can't assume that they will. If its not safe to move over, you just have to wait: even if it means staying in that lane and having to turn round a bit farther down the road.

ReputationRep:
    It would be the other guys fault for sure. Drivers like him should be banned for life. Morons.

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. I was in the left hand lane and moved over to the right. The guy behind me speeded up. Rather than break he flashed his full beams on and off.

I moved over to the left when I was clear again and gave him abuse. He was some wet salesman. Tried speeding away from me but his car was ****. Think he learnt not to do it again.

ReputationRep:
    It would have been your fault. You moved into the path of another car - whether or not that car was speeding would have been irrelevant in this instance, as it could never be proven. I'm not saying he'd be blameless or that he wasn't being stupid; just that any investigation would likely find you at fault.

ReputationRep:
    Hold on. From your description, not only did you misjudge the speed of the vehicle coming up behind you, but you also moved across into the RH lane to block the path of a faster moving vehicle despite the LH lane being clear and you having no immediate need to be in the RH lane.

I'd have been frustrated with you if I were driving the other car too.

Having said that, the driver of the other vehicle was probably speeding if it was only a 30 limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tofufi)
    Hold on. From your description, not only did you misjudge the speed of the vehicle coming up behind you, but you also moved across into the RH lane to block the path of a faster moving vehicle despite the LH lane being clear and you having no immediate need to be in the RH lane.

I'd have been frustrated with you if I were driving the other car too.

Having said that, the driver of the other vehicle was probably speeding if it was only a 30 limit.
    But the car was waayy behind when I looked in my mirror initially, just that he sped up from like 30 to I guess about 50 to get so close. Even then I moved in ok into the right lane, just he had to go into the left to avoid hitting me. Now that is not my fault...end of day if you're going almost 50 in a 30 limit, you'll have to break at some point or you'll go into the end of someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    But the car was waayy behind when I looked in my mirror initially, just that he sped up from like 30 to I guess about 50 to get so close. Even then I moved in ok into the right lane, just he had to go into the left to avoid hitting me. Now that is not my fault...end of day if you're going almost 50 in a 30 limit, you'll have to break at some point or you'll go into the end of someone.
    I still am not sure that someone accelerating that quickly can have been that far away to begin with if they then had to swerve to avoid you.

My main point was that if you were in the LH lane, with nothing ahread of you, there would be no normal reason for you to go to the RH lane. It could have come across as you deliberately moving across purely to get in his way, causing him to swerve.

ReputationRep:
    The moral of the story here is to update your mirror checks regularly rather than just check once and swerve. Repeat the mirror checks (centre and door mirror) over several seconds to get an idea of how his position and speed vary over time. Once you're satisfied that he couldn't possibly move into the danger zone before you get there, then go for it.

As for the blind spot check, that's very useful on a motorway entry slip where you're entering a stretch of road that's been previously blind to you, but if you're on a long straight stretch with regular mirror updates, you won't need to go craning your neck around. Beware if you stare too long at the blind spot; you may not see a car there during those moments but he could have gained on you a lot during the time you weren't looking at the mirror.

ReputationRep:
    I was driving my dad's car (insured on it e.t.c), anyway I decided to move from the left lane to the right lane because I needed to go down another road later on.

Anyway I checked my blindspot and right mirror, there was one car which was pretty far down. So I indicated to move to the right hand and I was on the speed limit of 30 or there abouts. At this point I could see in the mirror the other car in the right hand lane was getting ridiculously close, he had put his footdown to stop me moving into the lane. He must have been going 50mph at least.

I did move into the right hand lane and in order to avoid hitting me he had to move into the left lane as he had no chance in breaking, lucky that lane was empty. He then horned and **** at me.

Btw I have been driving for several years now and never had an accident. But lets say he did hit me would it have been his fault? He was like almost twice over the limit?
    Your insurance would probably say it was your fault. My mate he got insured on his new golf last month sometime and within 24 hours he was in a crash this was because he was pulling out to take a right into a lane but the person in that lane was very far like 20 car lengths the crazy driver sped up and hit my mate on purpose... my mate had to pay out. so yeh it would end up being your fault because you were crossing his path next time slow down and let those pricks carry on.

ReputationRep:
    I still am not sure that someone accelerating that quickly can have been that far away to begin with if they then had to swerve to avoid you.

My main point was that if you were in the LH lane, with nothing ahread of you, there would be no normal reason for you to go to the RH lane. It could have come across as you deliberately moving across purely to get in his way, causing him to swerve.

He was far away for me to move in safely if he hadn't doubled his speed to over twice the limit :rolleyes:

I have driven for several years now on many busy roads, motorways e.t.c with no single accident and while no humanbeing is infallible, I have to say I am a good judge of moving in safely.

I cannot be held accountable for not pre empting that the tosser would almost double speed. The swerving was his own creation. I had ALREADY MOVED in by the time he swerved so I am convinced now it's not my fault.

It's abit like driving in the 3rd lane on the motorway at 110mph and having to swirve to avoid hitting someone in the 3rd lane. It's your own fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by analk)
    Your insurance would probably say it was your fault. My mate he got insured on his new golf last month sometime and within 24 hours he was in a crash this was because he was pulling out to take a right into a lane but the person in that lane was very far like 20 car lengths the crazy driver sped up and hit my mate on purpose... my mate had to pay out. so yeh it would end up being your fault because you were crossing his path next time slow down and let those pricks carry on.
    Yeah I can see how that sadly would have been his fault. But in my case, I was already in his lane when he had to swirve to avoid me, so that would be his fault or at least 50/50. Doubt I would have got complete blame.

I should have constantly checked my mirrors I guess.

ReputationRep:
    He was far away for me to move in safely if he hadn't doubled his speed to over twice the limit :rolleyes:

I have driven for several years now on many busy roads, motorways e.t.c with no single accident and while no humanbeing is infallible, I have to say I am a good judge of moving in safely.

I cannot be held accountable for not pre empting that the tosser would almost double speed. The swerving was his own creation. I had ALREADY MOVED in by the time he swerved so I am convinced now it's not my fault.

It's abit like driving in the 3rd lane on the motorway at 110mph and having to swirve to avoid hitting someone in the 3rd lane. It's your own fault.
    Calm down

It's strange, the other car has gone from doing accelerating to about 50 in a 30 limit to more than doubling his speed (presumably to more than 60). In the time it takes an average car to do that change of speed, you would easily have time to notice it.

Secondly, you still have not taken into account the fact you didn't actually need to pull into the second lane when there was nothing in your lane. As far as I am concerned, being in the RH lane with nothing to your inside makes you a lane hog, and that alone would frustrate me as a driver.

Also, the person behind you is unlikely to swerve into the LH lane before you have moved. If he were to do so, surely he would swerve into your car?

ReputationRep:
    Calm down

It's strange, the other car has gone from doing accelerating to about 50 in a 30 limit to more than doubling his speed (presumably to more than 60). In the time it takes an average car to do that change of speed, you would easily have time to notice it.

Secondly, you still have not taken into account the fact you didn't actually need to pull into the second lane when there was nothing in your lane. As far as I am concerned, being in the RH lane with nothing to your inside makes you a lane hog, and that alone would frustrate me as a driver.

Also, the person behind you is unlikely to swerve into the LH lane before you have moved. If he were to do so, surely he would swerve into your car?
    Whatever mate, complete ****. Lane hog lol? Loads of people switch from left to right and vice versa at that point because both lead to different places.

Just shut up if you don't know what you're talking about. At least other people have said things which I understand as to why it could possibly be my fault as far as the insurance guys are concerned, but you're on another planet.

You're not a detective dude now bugger off :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    Im sure I remember reading this exact scenario only about a week ago!

This is an example where speed is not the factor its bad judgement on your behalf that would ultimately cause the accident!
    You admit you were aware that he was coming up the right hand lane fast yet you still decided to move across!
    bad judgement is more of a killer than speed!

Indeed if he was not speeding you could have moved across and there would have not been an issue BUT
    regardless of him speeding, he had right of way you should have NOT moved across.
    Indeed it can be considered reckless that he was speeding, but also the move that you made would be also considered reckless. As a pedestrian do you walkout/runout directly infront of a moving car?.....no.
    Two wrongs do not make a right and IMO the bad judgement, lack of mirrior checks and pulling out infront of another car is more dangerous/serious fault than speeding in a straight line.

1) he was not speeding - It would be your fault that the collision occured due to him having right of way.
    2) he was marginly speeding - It would be your fault that the collision occured due to him having right of way.
    3a)he was excessively speeding - It would be your fault that the collision occured due to him having right of way, despite his speeding which was reckless, the blame stays with yourself as your act was also reckless.
    3b)he was excessively speeding - It would be your fault that the collision occured due to him having right of way, despite your reckless move, it may be considered his excessive speeding was more reckless.

Its more likely to be 3a than 3b.
    Overall its more likely to be 1 ... YOUR FAULT!

edit:
    in that scenario if your that desprate to change lanes you either...
    1) indicate and hope that he gives way, remember signaling is an indication of your intent it does not give you the right to move across
    2) slow down to decrease the gap between yourself and him thus he will pass you quicker then move across
    3) slam on the accelerator gain a bit of speed and move across (not recommened but it is a better alternative to just pulling out in front of a car!)
    4) slam on the accelerator match his speed then move across (not recommened but it is a better alternative to just pulling out in front of a car!)
    Lol thanks for that, yes I do normally follow all those guidelines. Just a shame I can't go back to the moment this happened, because I swear this guy was very distant when looking in my mirror. I think after noticing he was distant and then indicating to move in, he must have put his foot right down.

Oh well, tragedy averted. Wish he did go into the back of me tbh because that would have served him right.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever mate, complete ****. Lane hog lol? Loads of people switch from left to right and vice versa at that point because both lead to different places.

Just shut up if you don't know what you're talking about. At least other people have said things which I understand as to why it could possibly be my fault as far as the insurance guys are concerned, but you're on another planet.

You're not a detective dude now bugger off :o:
    :lol:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.