Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the students at Sussex Uni could give me some unbiased information about the different halls of residence on the campus!

I have an offer and I'm fairly certain of making it my firm choice because I really loved it when I visited there last week.

It would be great if you could list some of the most important pros and cons of your halls.

Out of all the halls, the ones which appeal to me the most are Brighthelm, Lewes Court and Park Village.

Fill in what you think about:

Brighthelm:

Lewes Court:

Park Village:

The Park Houses:

East Slope:

Thanks very much everybody

ReputationRep:
    Brighthelm: lovely. the houses are fairly new, they've got little gardeny bits out the back, BIG kitchen diners, standard sized rooms, 2 bathrooms and a washing machine- not bad. rent's fairly pricey though, but if you're ok with that the i'd say these are my favourite on campus. they're like a little community all of their own and there's something nice about them being houses not flats.

Lewes Court: equally lovely. spaced out more so the back bit of phase 1 and the whole of phase 2 is a MISSION, but they're all flats of 6, with ample bathrooms (in phase 1 think theres 2 toilets and 2 showers, thats good going) and again nice big kitchen diner/living rooms, great for parties as theres lots of seating and lots of space. personally think phase 2 with the ensuites is a waste of money, as the flats are the same and as ive said phase 1 definitely has enough bathroom space!

Park Village: they're nice. again theres the fact that they're houses not flats thats appealing, and theyre like their own little community too, like you know your neighbours and houses opposite (more so than lewes court or the park houses). they're 3 floors, 12 people in a house, think theres only one bathroom (correct me if im wrong!), but 2 kitchens which is good...there isnt really any communal space to be honest (the kitchens dont have tables i don't think, theyre quite small), except the landings, which are nice to sit on beanbags and chat on, but wouldnt really constitute a living room...reasonable rent though to be fair.

The Park Houses: this was where i lived, NOT out of choice might i add (will come to that later), but i loved it. the four are a bit different- i was in lancaster house, which have the biggest rooms on campus i think (as there isnt a bloody huge ensuite in the way). kent house has small bedrooms, york house and norwich are somewhere in between. the layout of the houses is fine- you're in a corridor of 12 with one kitchen and 2 showers and 2 toilets (see why i said phase 1's bathroom facilities were really good? theyve got half the people in there and the same number of toilets and showers!). the kitchens vary, you could get a big dining table and chairs, or what i got- a tiny kitchen with 2 bar stools. the kitchens are fine, the cleaners really are a godsend and clean them 3 times a week, and you're only really in there to cook anyway. like park village there isnt really any communal space, you end up either standing up eating in the kitchen or in you room, but everyone drops in and out of each others rooms...i liked living with 12 people too, as it meant there was always someone to talk to, and you get to know people on other corridors too. there is a tv room in each park house (which i guess counts as communal area), which not many people go in but is great for x factor/spooks/peep show, when its packed! theyre also the most central accommodation to campus too, which i think is a massive bonus- you can leave your house and be at the little union shop for chocolate supplies in 30 seconds. really.

East Slope: not the biggest fan, but i think it has the same community feel as park village and brighthelm. the rooms are small but the kitchens are ok ie they have dining tables and enough space...there are some for 6 people and some for 12 so i guess thats down to luck of the draw. there are SO many flats up there that you're bound to find people you like, and if you're a party person it's a good place to be- the bar's 2 minutes away, and there's always a flat party on!

ok so thats all the accomodation, now for my WARNING:

you say your favourites are brightelm and lewes court- these are preeeetty much everyones favourites. a lot of the people i know, myself included, had their list like this: 1. brighthelm, 2. lewes court ph 1, 3. lewes court ph 2, 4 swanborough (if they could afford it) , then park village park houses and east slope at the bottom.

a consequence of this is ending up in park houses and crying because you think its horrible (my situation)- "I PUT IT SIXTH, WHY HAVE THEY PUT ME THERE" etc etc. im telling you, theyre all ok, if you do like the sound of park houses, its quite a safe bet that putting it top will get you in there as its not everyones preferred choice...basically, my whole corridor were 'lewes court rejects' who'd put park houses bottom and didnt want to be there. just to warn that spending lots of time weighing up brighthelm vs lewes court as to which to put first doesnt hide the fact that theres a high chance you'll get neither. warning over.

all the accommodations great, and wherever you live you'll find someone you get on with, and you can't fault the halls experience, it's so much fun living in your own little world at the back of campus. and i'd agree with you, brighthelm and lewes court are my favourites too (park village not so much...!)...hope that helped (and that my warning didnt scare you or put you off!) xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Lewes court Phase II...

...is awesome. The rooms are awesome *and bigger than phase I* and we have en-suite (although you might need a letter from your GP). We get...a single bed, A huge desk. 3 shelves, a cupboard with 2 parts to it, a comfy chair and a spinny chair. In the kitchen along with the usuall stuff (microwave, oven, fridge, freezer...) we also have a little dining table with 4 chairs and 6 confy chairs. We even have a red carpet :awesome:

Its usually quiet here and in the mornings you just step outside and go for a walk along the hills. Theres a cark park (although i think every accommodation has one?) and a bus stop at a minut's walk. Theres even a little park with swings!

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Lewes Court ph 1 - facilities are really good, with decent communal space and one shower and two toilets per flat.

Bascially as someone previously mentioned the deal about accommodation is that people with unconditional offers (so gap year students, internationals etc) receive their first choice. And so this is usually accommodation with en suite and Brighthelm/Lewes Court ph1, unless someone really wants to be in East Slope for the party scene. This means that a lot of 18 year olds straight out of college end up living in Park Houses and Park Village. Of course, there is a chance that you'd end up in Brighthelm/Lewes Court ph1 if you put them top, but just be aware that it's quite likely you won't end up with them! My own experience in Lewes Court ph 1 - around 80% of people I knew had had gap years!

Park Houses seems to offer a very much a traditional 'halls experience' in that there's lots of people around, it's all quite open, there's a common room etc. I found Lewes Court a bit closed in and less social in that way. To get into each 'block' (of 6 or so flats) you had to be buzzed in, or get in with the door propped open and then get into the individual flats, whereas in a place like Kent House once you're through the main door you are able to visit anyone on any of the four (I think) floors really easily, so a lot more people! Everyone i know who lived in a Park House was a bit apprensive at first, but then ending up loving it.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know a little bit of extra info too, could anyone let me know which of the en-suite accommodation has the best social scene?

ReputationRep:
    Are you more likely to get the accomadation you want if you apply for housing earlier?

Or is it unconditionals first then everyone else in a big pot?

I'll apply the second it opens if it means i get a better chance of a nice place.

ReputationRep:
    Makes no difference how quick you apply unfortunetly, only make a difference if your unconditional. I applied as soon as it was allowed and got my 6th choice, my friend applied late and got Lewes Court Phase 2. I did manage to move and now live in Lewes Court Phase 2.

Personally I found park village a bit unsociable, because there is no communal areas, you just have to sit in the corridors if you want to be sociable, having a kitchen table makes things a million times easier, everywhere apart from Park Village has this!

ReputationRep:
    Check out the accommodation thread..there are a few of us who are currently living in Brighthelm and Lewes Courts and it's not all it's cracked up to be...

ReputationRep:
    Went the other day, quite liked east slope despite the tinpot kitchen. the ones to the left of it were nice too, forgot their names?? , didn't like the new really expensive ones to the right of 'em though.

(Original post by cfc1992)
    Went the other day, quite liked east slope despite the tinpot kitchen. the ones to the left of it were nice too, forgot their names?? , didn't like the new really expensive ones to the right of 'em though.
    Brighthelm? Yeh, I'd probably shoot for Brighthelm if I were applying. Pretty dear though. I was in Park Village back in 06/7 - loved it! - and it was £77pw or so.

ReputationRep:
    Think i'm gonna go for eastslope, feel like having a bit more of a social life

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.