Turn on thread page Beta

would you ever get used a new name? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    see, everyone calls me smithee.
    friends, tutors, etc ..
    but people like doctors, hair dressers, appiontments,..etc call me by my real name and i HATE it :p:
    its not that its bad, its just common and it reminds me of the past i used to get bullied and be ugly and shy. Its not me anymore, after 5 years of being called smithee by everyone, its annoying.

Worst thing about it is , if im in a club and someone ask me my name it takes about 5 miutes for them to understand me becuase its not a real name. And generally other situtions where people cant understand. grr

Im going to university in september and i was wondering, if you change your name to a nice normal name and introduce yourself as that. would you get used to it eventually?
    (im not planning on doing it, probably won't, just wondering if people think they could or not)

:woo: mmu 2010

ReputationRep:
    My name is Huw, so as well as people miss-hearing it for 'you' or 'shoe', it's also spelt an unusual way as well.

If you like being called by a nickname, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

I changed the name I used from my former surname to my forename. Took a while, but I got there in the end.

ReputationRep:
    I actually prefer it when people call me Adonis lol

ReputationRep:
    Most people know me by my middle name as that's what I go by when I'm out.

But I don't understand, if you don't like being called your real name and everyone calls you by this nick name "smithee" then what's the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    My name is Huw, so as well as people miss-hearing it for 'you' or 'shoe', it's also spelt an unusual way as well.

If you like being called by a nickname, go for it.
    I get that all the time! Only difference is that I'm a Hugh and not a Huw.

If I had a quid for every time someone had misheard my name as "you" and gone "what?", I'd be rich.

In truth, I've been considering changing my name, but it would feel a little weird. I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    I started using a new name when I was 18 - it's been 2 years now and it doesn't feel weird at all, it feels completely normal. Infact when I see people who knew me by my other name it's really strange to hear them call me it.
    It's amazing how quickly you adapt to being called a new name - it's odd at first but after a few weeks it feels completely normal.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know i dont think id ever want to change my name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Yes.

I changed the name I used from my former surname to my forename. Took a while, but I got there in the end.
    so your last name was mike? hmm i knew someone whose last name was mike, and his forename began with a d, and he was clever, and i think he played the guitar, and he had a fiiiine girlfriend and they sexed all the time... hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    so your last name was mike? hmm i knew someone whose last name was mike, and his forename began with a d, and he was clever, and i think he played the guitar, and he had a fiiiine girlfriend and they sexed all the time... hmm
    No...my forename is Mike... My surname begins with D...

ReputationRep:
    No...my forename is Mike... My surname begins with D...
    but you "changed the name I used from my former surname to my forename" i'm confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    but you "changed the name I used from my former surname to my forename" i'm confused
    Yes. I was known by my surname, which during year 10 changed, so I reverted to my forename...

ReputationRep:
    I moved to Britain this year, after living in Italy and Norway, and since my Norwegian name is pretty hard to say for you Britons, I took my grandma's name as middlename, and use that in Britain. I just starting calling me that the second I landed on the airport here, and have introduced myself as that since I got here, and I've had no problems with reacting to it whatsoever.

The only thing was when I got back to Norway this christmas and people there all call me by my old name. When new people then asked me what my name was, I was like: ehrm.. not sure.. lol!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I changed my name to "Flex Magee".

You get used to it after a while, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I was known by my surname, which during year 10 changed, so I reverted to my forename...
    oh. i see what you did there

ReputationRep:
    :dontknow: My flatmate introduced herself to everyone under a different name and didn't tell us it was changed until her boyfriend mentioned it months later =P I wish I'd thought of it tbh, 'tis harder to tell everyone you want to be called "X" instead from now on than just be known as it in the first place :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have like 5 damn names I've been called/get called regularly.

When I got back home to see school friends, it's a strange as everyone calls me by my nickname I've had since Year 9 whereas at uni I get called by another name and sometimes Simon :iiam:

ReputationRep:
    I got used to my friends calling me Pete as opposed to Peter when I first came to uni, but my family was the problem - they refuse to use anything other than Peter. So now I'm Pete to friends and Peter to family.
    (One of my mates also took to calling me Pedro, but I quickly ended that :dry:)

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who introduced themselves as Rosie, but that was her nickname at school. I dont know her real name i think likes like Emma or something... Not really a problem.

Half of my friends know me as Maz and half know me as Maria, i usualy introduce myself as Maria though its just they get contaminated by my exsisting friends and end up calling me Maz.

ReputationRep:
    I want to change my last name to my mum's last name. Its just so much nicer than the one I have.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.