Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

would you ever get used a new name? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i get asked so many times, whether i prefer brook or brooklyn, i say call me either i dont mind, even back in sixthform and now at uni

ReputationRep:
    I've grown up being called Mimi my whole life, but my real name is Naomi. I used to hate it, and when I went to university I introduced myself as Mimi and it was all fine.

I then realised I should probably decide whether to just change my name to Mimi or start using my real name, because as I was getting older it was getting more and more confusing, especially meeting new people and getting a job, etc.

I changed university after my first year, and at my new uni I introduced myself as Naomi. My whole family and my old friends still call me Mimi so I'm used to getting called both now!

I decided to stick with Naomi even though I'd always preferred Mimi, because it's more of a 'serious' name, I suppose. I just couldn't imagine getting old and being called Mimi...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Yes.

I changed the name I used from my former surname to my forename. Took a while, but I got there in the end.
    This has nothing to do with the thread, but your sig is so true!

ReputationRep:
    I think the thing with nicknames is to say 'Hi i'm x but everyone calls me y'. Anyway, i wouldn't want to change my name, mainly because i don't have a nicknamable name so i've never had nicknames at all. It would be far too much effort.

ReputationRep:
    No, I doubt it, I'm going to keep my name if I get married for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I had a nickname at school, and when I went to uni, just introduced myself as my proper name.
    I've actually hated the nicknames I had, I've even changed my username on here a couple of times because I've become bored of it :p:

But seriously, one of the guys in my uni class we all called by his nickname, but the lecturers were unaware of it and called him by his proper name. It was so confusing, I was always wondering who this elusive person was that answered his questions, yet never introduced himself to us :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    i get asked so many times, whether i prefer brook or brooklyn, i say call me either i dont mind, even back in sixthform and now at uni
    That's not really the same I don't think.

ReputationRep:
    My English name is pinyin from my Cantonese name and it doesn't alike enough even! People find it harder to remember my name, spell, and pronounce it so I get several nicknames! Doesn't help by the fact that my first name is written in 2 parts ¬.¬ Thinking of changing it through deed poll! Hope it won't be too much hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    That's not really the same I don't think.
    You should tell them that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well I've been nicknamed 'Pinky' since Year 7 and its stuck with me since then. I totally prefer it to my real name though cause I hate it. I introduced myself as Pinky to everyone at uni but when I talk to teachers and official people, I have to use my real name which is weird because I don't identify with it.

But I guess I have to revert to my real name soon because I need to grow up sometime! *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your replies, i love my nickname 'smithee' its just that i cant go through life being called it, like if i get a job they wont put smithee on my name badge and its just so awkward and annoying when you introduce yourself to somone and they are like what?

I wanna change it at university, im just scared i wont be able to get used to it and il be stressing out like 'everyone is calling me a name it doesnt feel like meee!'
    x

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.