Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    To assert that you 'KNOW' that God exists or otherwise is stupid. Everyone should accept they are ultimately ignorant of the truth.
    So should everyone in the world resign their religions and say "we can't be sure of a God" then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    "He's not the son of God, he's a very naughty boy!"
    Brian: ***** off*
    Everybody else: *erm, how should we **** off o Lord*

Classic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    I personally think that it is difficult to quantify notions of having a universe and not having one...I find it incredibly hard to believe there was nothing
    same here thats what this thread was about really?i wantrd to know why people thought that there could have been nothing before the big bang or for religious people their god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Did anyone watch Thursdays Horizon? Interesting point from that program is that we probably don't exist. It is possible that we are just some sort of computer simulation used by people who want to know what their past look like. A bit like Matrix but without the human cells and machines.
    Isn't that what Occam's Razor would lead us to conclude?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    whats occams razor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    same here thats what this thread was about really?i wantrd to know why people thought that there could have been nothing before the big bang or for religious people their god.
    God doesn't live in this world. You do. Now, get on with your life and forget about God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    So should everyone in the world resign their religions and say "we can't be sure of a God" then?
    What people should or shouldn't do with regards to their relgious beliefs is irrelevant. If you wish to believe you know the truth of anything, let alone God, then you're a fool!

ReputationRep:
    God doesn't live in this world. You do. Now, get on with your life and forget about God.
    :rolleyes: *shakes head*

ReputationRep:
    i have FORGOT about god, i dont beieve there is such thing. And i am getting on with my life,i just wanted to know what other people think, if you dont like my thread then dont read it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    It's Ocham by the way (just incase you wanted to know)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    whats occams razor?
    The theory that the simplist solution is usually correct.

Seer, you said that everyone should admit that they are ignorant of the truth, and then conceeded that people's religion was irrelevent. I don't quite see what you're proposing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    It's Ocham by the way (just incase you wanted to know)
    There are several spellings of the word, the most common of which are Occam and Ockham by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    The theory that the simplist solution is usually correct.

Seer, you said that everyone should admit that they are ignorant of the truth, and then conceeded that people's religion was irrelevent. I don't quite see what you're proposing.
    Sigh...

I said people's religions inclinations do not change the truth of God's existence. (in a realist sense at least).

All I am proposing is that no one knows if God exists or not, do you agree or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    There are several spellings of the word, the most common of which are Occam and Ockham by the way.
    Not Occam, Ocham and Ockham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Sigh...

I said people's religions inclinations do not change the truth of God's existence. (in a realist sense at least).

All I am proposing is that no one knows if God exists or not, do you agree or not?
    In that case, I agree, although science may one day disprove God's existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    Sigh...

We cannot prove that God exists or not.

ReputationRep:
    Impossible, only Logic could prove or disprove God's existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    The Big Bang created the Universe; there is no such entity as 'God'.
    The big bang was a process which changed the form & distribution of energy in the universe, it didn't 'create' the universe.

The real question I think is why was the energy there in the first place? I think the issue with the question and it's solution comes from asking "why should the energy not have been there in the first place?". From this we arrive at our perhaps limited perception from which we assume causality, yet there's no concrete grounds on which to assume causality applies beyond the universe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrzySxyCool)
    right this really confuses me:- To a religious person you ask, who created the world? they reply God, BUT who created God?wo created the thing that created God?i have a hard time trying to work this out. Also say something else created the world and people?what created that in the first place?
    Yes this is a problem, however

If we say the universe is just a 'brute fact' , then we immedatly think that is pretty stupid because we apply causality to physical matter

however, God, who is a supernatural transcedant etc etc being, there is less of an issue to apply casuality.

Theres one answer for you

ReputationRep:
    Talks of philosophy and theology always seem to make other subjects look so inferior

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.