Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8481617.stm

A French parliamentary committee has recommended a partial ban on women wearing Islamic face veils. So should there be a similar ban in the UK - and would it work?
    Yes.

I believe the face veil is an unnecessary Scarlet letter that doesn't belong in British society. Some women may want to wear it but I only see it as a restriction and an impairment on all women who wear it.

It disputes a value that women worked hard to fight for tens of years ago and I abhor it.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    What if it's cold, like really cold.

ReputationRep:
    I'm certainly no fan of the veil, find demeaning to women and intimidating to others even, nor do I care for religion, but I don't think it should be banned. It is likely to cause more tension between the western world and Islamic Fundamentalists, more irrational religious fury directed at us is not necessary especially as the veil doesn't affect us...certainly not to the extent a bomb might

ReputationRep:
    definitely. The French have got something good going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornmaster)
    I'm certainly no fan of the veil, find demeaning to women and intimidating to others even, nor do I care for religion, but I don't think it should be banned. It is likely to cause more tension between the western world and Islamic Fundamentalists, more irrational religious fury directed at us is not necessary especially as the veil doesn't affect us...certainly not to the extent a bomb might
    It may stir more fury from fundamentalists but Britain is a country that has a right to decide something. We should not be coerced, threatened or scared by anyone when it comes to making a decision such as this.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be adverse to a full ban on the Muslim veil, but at the very least I think it should be recognised that there are some places/jobs where it's not appropriate to wear the veil, or any form of face covering at all (e.g. teaching) - and that this should be respected by all people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    It may stir more fury from fundamentalists but Britain is a country that has a right to decide something. We should not be coerced, threatened or scared by anyone when it comes to making a decision such as this.
    True, I understand the fear/coercion element, equally though when you go to any moderate Muslim country on a par with a moderate 'christian' country (like ours). Foreign/Christian/Jewish etc women aren't forced to put the veil on, so I don't see why it is our place to tell them not to wear it here. Especially as it's just a reaction to the current climate, we'll have something else to be scared about in this new decade.

ReputationRep:
    Not really a fan of banning stuff, and don't know how enforceable a ban would be, but I appreciate what France is doing -
    It is a statement of intent......they are putting down a marker. France is for the French. Assimilate or leave.

ReputationRep:
    No, they should be able to choose. Years of struggle, etc, etc, yes, but it's not our government's place to make them 'profit from their freedom' by restriktin' their rights. Besides, how many people does this actually affect? In France there was a massive storm about the burkha, and there are actually fewer than 2000 women in the land that wear them, so in effect it was just fuel for Islam extremists/reason for moderates to get riled up and alienated from French society, and an easy excuse for the government to claim they're doin' something about the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    Not really a fan of banning stuff, and don't know how enforceable a ban would be, but I appreciate what France is doing -
    It is a statement of intent......they are putting down a marker. France is for the French. Assimilate or leave.
    ...bit late for that.

ReputationRep:
    Do a search OP, this thread gets done every week and it always goes the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopi, ffs)
    ...bit late for that.
    I was just about to say the same.

Also, inb4 Muslim **** storm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8481617.stm

Yes.

I believe the face veil is an unnecessary Scarlet letter that doesn't belong in British society. Some women may want to wear it but I only see it as a restriction and an impairment on all women who wear it.

It disputes a value that women worked hard to fight for tens of years ago and I abhor it.

What do you think?
    It’s an impossible situation. I’m more than happy for a woman to wear it if she genuinely wants to and it makes her feel comfortable, after all it’s not hurting anyone. But I don’t like fact that some men impose it on women. I don’t think wearing them should be banned, but I think an effort should be made to address the pressure some women are faced with.

ReputationRep:
    No... Should allowed if the woman wants to wear it. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    I was just about to say the same.

Also, inb4 Muslim **** storm.
    Oh Meagz! Fate has really brought us togetha; some time ago, I saw your sig piksha and laughed a lot, but then I forgot whose it was an' couldn't be bothered going to find it, but here you are quotin' me, my brain sayin', hey... hey... wasn't it.. wasn't it Meagz that had the Snapes foto?
    And it was.
    The end.
    :lovedup2:

ReputationRep:
    u want something to be banned that belongs to a religion thats very disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopi, ffs)
    Oh Meagz! Fate has really brought us togetha; some time ago, I saw your sig piksha and laughed a lot, but then I forgot whose it was an' couldn't be bothered going to find it, but here you are quotin' me, my brain sayin', hey... hey... wasn't it.. wasn't it Meagz that had the Snapes foto?
    And it was.
    The end.
    :lovedup2:
    DESTINY :love:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.