Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Well they're probably pretty damn hot under there.

One has to wonder why they feel the need to wear it, though. Is it because they just want to? Probably not.
    Well evidently, when it was banned in Egypt, a male led society (presumably) it wasn't they who came out on the street to protest. It was the women. All the protests in Paris, they aren't dominated by men, it's women. Logic would dictate had they really been coerced to wear it, surely they would've stayed at home and made no issue about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Well evidently, when it was banned in Egypt, a male led society (presumably) it wasn't they who came out on the street to protest. It was the women. All the protests in Paris, they aren't dominated by men, it's women. Logic would dictate had they really been coerced to wear it, surely they would've stayed at home and made no issue about it?
    Why coerce when you can brainwash?

ReputationRep:
    There was a woman on the news the other day who said she wore it cos she didn't want to be attractive to anyone but her husband.

Makes me feel uncomfortable, personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EthnicScot)
    I agree with any stance against Islam. I am glad the french are showing backbone and banning this vulgar Islamic attire. It is offensive to us Europeans and I believe it is time that we started to take control of our own society.

It matters not whther a muslim is born here or not, this is our society not theirs and it is for us to dictitate who and what we allow in our society. Muslims thrive on the freedoms we award them and they thrive on our tolerance. It is exactly our tolernce tht is destroying us.

I personally cringe when I see some clown walking down my street wearing this disgusting tomb of oppression and it angers me to see my neighbour hood turning into some middle eastern bizzarre.

I dont like Islamic culture, I dont want to live in anything that resembles one of the horrible muslims nations that these very muslims run from.

keep europe european, If I wanted to live in some backwater swamp I would move to pakistan. However, I dont want to live in some third world hole and niether do I want that for my future children.

If muslim want to live here then they should only be allowed to do so if they live moderately, unseen and unheard.

I find the full veil offensive as it treats me as some sort of rapist. Maybe in islamic countries it is ok to rape a unvieled women but here we tret women as equals
    I'm European. I'm also an atheist. I don't find the veil offensive. Why should I?

What is European dress anyway? Surely there are many Islamic Europeans?

Also, what the hell is a 'bizarre'? LOL!

What is Islamic culture? Islam is a religion. The veil/burkha is a Bedouin custom. Some Islamic women in say, India or Indonesia expose their faces, arms and also bellies - far more than your average British woman does.

Have you actually been to Pakistan? I think there's a huge difference between downtown Rawalpindi and North Waziristan. Don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Why coerce when you can brainwash?
    That's a pretty weak statement to be honest.....

ReputationRep:
    That's a pretty weak statement to be honest.....
    Can't refute it?

What else is new?

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens in Pakistan when women refuse to wear hijabs and viels

I can post many more
    Ever heard of Benazir Bhutto?

Most women in Pakistan don't wear the veil.

Most women in Pakistan do not get acid thrown in their faces.

Please try not to generalize an entire nation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    That is not quite right, a female working for BA was taken to court a few years back for wearing a cross around her neck. And I think the prosecution won...

Quite an interesting read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...ss_controversy
    The problem is, that conflicts with BA's policy on jewelery.

Outside of work, everybody should be able to wear what they like.

There is a bit of distinction.

ReputationRep:
    The way pakistanis treat women who refuse to the veil is enough to ban this ridiulous garbage bag here in Europe.
    Islamic prctices such as the full viel should not be tolerated. If women want to wear please feel free to catch the next plane to pakistan.
    What the **** are you talking about?

Since when was it compulsory to wear the veil in Pakistan?

Have you checked their charter/legislature?

Since when was veiling an 'Islamic' practice?

I'm a male atheist - if I want to wear a veil/balaclava/hoody then I can do so.

Please familiarize yourself with Western European values. If these are too much for you, you might feel more comfortable if you were to emigrate to Saudi Arabia/North Korea.

...just a suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    I do think if there's security measures involved they shouldn't expect special treatment purely because of their religion, particularly when apparently it isn't even a requirement, but more of a cultural thing. They may feel uncomfortable having to take it off when it comes to security checks and whatnot, but when they come to a country where everyone else has to, it's only fair that they abide by the same rules as everyone else here. Things are difficult in some muslim countries, I'm not denying that, but it may just be a better option to live in a society where it's more acceptable rather than expect us to bend these rules.

However, I do think that's ONLY in those cases: i.e. where everyone else is expected to take off their hats, etc. purely for the safety of everyone else. In other day-to-day situations, what someone wears is completely up to them and certainly not for the government to dictate. It's very rocky ground and only causes more anger and resentment. Just because our own personal views may not understand or accept that some women want to wear the veil themselves doesn't mean we have any right to force them not to. Individual choices are just not for the majority to make, and that goes for anything. I don't feel uncomfortable or threatened seeing them as others have pointed out - it's just how the media wants us to feel, and just the image being projected onto us. The only reason we feel there's a "divided Britain" or anything like that is because phrases like that are being thrown around to make us scared, and all the vast majority of these people are trying to do is live their lives. =/ Sure, try to keep an eye on the nutters who are causing problems - but to have this sort of view and upset a load of people in the process further is dangerous ground, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Can't refute it?

What else is new?
    No because you can't prove it.. but I guess you would be accustomed that by now :yep:

Not only is it woefully ignorant,baseless,reactionary but also self defeatist hence a weak statement.

ReputationRep:
    No because you can't prove it.. but I guess you would be accustomed that by now :yep:

Not only is it woefully ignorant,baseless,reactionary but also self defeatist hence a weak statement.
    Right.

So all those women out there who wear veils because they're under the impression that showing an inch of skin will make every man in a mile want to screw them... they're not brainwashed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwani)
    the texts are not misinterpreted. End Quote, its just you misinterpreting them,
    Not at all.
    You said the Qur'an says women have to cover their face..... Show me a line in the Qur'an where it says so.

And don't foget, there's no compulsion in Islam anyway, is there?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    Not at all.
    You said the Qur'an says women have to cover their face..... Show me a line in the Qur'an where it says so.

And don't foget, there's no compulsion in Islam anyway, is there?:p:
    http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/11774
    All the proof you want

ReputationRep:
    Right.

So all those women out there who wear veils because they're under the impression that showing an inch of skin will make every man in a mile want to screw them... they're not brainwashed?
    Of course not. So you're arguing that they're brainwashed because they don't conform to your worldview and values? that's a highly ridiculous insinuation. They're in a completely different environment for your argument to be even given any credence.

They can just as easily argue that women in secular societies are brainwashed by the male run fashion and media industry on how they should present themselves?

These women ascribe to different outlooks and values in life, to suggest they're brainwashed because they are is moronic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz)
    If these women do not have a problem with wearing it, why do you?
    This is a photo of Saudi Arabia, they are required by law to wear and do not have a choice.

ReputationRep:
    YES.
    it's scary when you can't see one's face.
    it's bizarre on the other hand - when women go to for instance saudi arabia, they are ordered to be properly covered, so why can't muslims, when coming to UK accept british way of life and adopt it? i'm not talking about an extreme change of beliefs, but one's covered face is kinda too much.

ReputationRep:
    This is a photo of Saudi Arabia, they are required by law to wear and do not have a choice.
    What law is that,because I can show you several pictures of Saudi women without it.....

ReputationRep:
    they wear it so that security staff can't see their faces and so find it harder to keep track of them.

ReputationRep:
    If it could be banned without having extremists attack the UK then yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.