Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blinx56)
    If it could be banned without having extremists attack the UK then yes.
    don't let the extremists govern what this country does/believes. i say take it off

ReputationRep:
    Definitely in Public places and on Public Transport purely for security reasons. They should be able to wear what they like in the privacy of their own home though.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with anything that devalues women and I don't like the idea of anyone being forced to wear something.

but to answer the question

NO.

banning something just undermines the whole point of living in a society where we are generally free to do as we wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    What law is that,because I can show you several pictures of Saudi women without it.....
    Saudi Arabia

Wearing the hijab is enforced in Saudi Arabia. All women living in Saudi Arabia (Muslim and the expatriate non-muslim) are required to wear a full black cloak, called an abaya and a face-veil, called a niqab. They can be harassed by the religious police if they do not.

The Saudi niqāb usually leaves a long open slot for the eyes; the slot is held together by a string or narrow strip of cloth.[76] Many also have two or more sheer layers attached to the upper band, which can be worn flipped down to cover the eyes. Although a person looking at a woman wearing a niqab with an eyeveil would not be able to see her eyes, she is able to see out through the thin fabric.

In 2008, the religious authority in Mecca, Mohammad Habadan called on women to wear veils that reveal only one eye, so that women would not be encouraged to use eye make-up.[77]

According to Saudi Arabia's Shariah law, a woman's clothing should meet the following conditions:

* Women must cover their entire body, but they are allowed to expose both eyes in necessity.
    * Women should wear abaya and niqab thick enough to conceal what is underneath, the abaya should be loose fitting.
    * Women should not wear bright coloured clothes or clothes that are adorned so that they may attract the attention of men.[78]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijab_b...y#Saudi_Arabia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovepolska)
    YES.
    it's scary when you can't see one's face.
    it's bizarre on the other hand - when women go to for instance saudi arabia, they are ordered to be properly covered, so why can't muslims, when coming to UK accept british way of life and adopt it? i'm not talking about an extreme change of beliefs, but one's covered face is kinda too much.
    Congratulations on making the worst argument ever. I genuinely don't understand it when people point to Saudi and their treatment of Westerners and some means of making decisions in Britain. You are in effect advocating that we adopt the same social policies of some of the shíttiest places on earth, simply because thats what they do.

I'm quite glad I live in a country where the government doesn't mandate what we can and cannot where. All you people claiming that we should be letting the government decide what we do are probably mentally deficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    they wear it so that security staff can't see their faces and so find it harder to keep track of them.
    How on earth would all those Islamic women travelling through Muslim-majority countries be screened on flights then? For example, I imagine that the Pakistani government would have pretty tight restrictions on people travelling in from say, Jordan or Yemen.

As far as I am aware the women passangers must, during security checks, expose their faces so that security staff may ascertain their identity, but the security attendant is always female.

I know even in some NON-MUSLIM countries there are separate queues for men and women during security checks (e.g. China and India) so the 'religious excuse' of not willing to take it off temporarily simply wouldn't cut it. Such women would not be permitted to pass through security.

Do you dispute this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EthnicScot)
    X
    That's a wikipedia article, there is no relevant footnote within it to point to the specific law. Besides the "enforced" section refers to the hijab. Plus your final paragraph doesn't match the footnote it's derived from.

*women without veil*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-to-drive.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwani)
    Why dont read into it first!
    http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/10867/wahabi
    I did read it prior to commenting. I'm good like.

One of Allah's (Subhana Wa Ta Ala) names is Al-Wahhab so you are therefore taking insult one of Allah's most beautiful and perfect names!
    You realise that Abd Al-Wahab isn't God, don't you? I mean really that is such a pathetic argument.

And yes the terminology Wahabi was made up by the enemies of Islam, they oppose people practising Islamic Monotheism
    Wahabi believe everyone is an enemy of Islam. Nothing new there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    That's a wikipedia article, there is no relevant footnote within it to point to the specific law. Besides the "enforced" section refers to the hijab.

*women without veil*

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-to-drive.html
    I dont speak Arabic so I cant find a link. However As I have worked and lived in saudi I am telling you that women are required to wear it by law.

The wikipedia article specifically refers to Niqab incase you did notread it.

and your picture proves nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    don't let the extremists govern what this country does/believes. i say take it off
    Surely this already is the standard policy in any client-facing role - e.g. healthcare, politician, civil servant, teacher, doctor, lawyer, nurse etc. I suppose if you were working as a typist an employer may not care, but an employer has the right to specify an acceptable dress code, which an employee can launch an appeal against if they feel that the dress code is impractical or unnecessary for that role. Of course, the latter isn't really an advisable thing to do unless say, you're being forced to work in your boxer shorts all day long in January whilst on a building site.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care about the religious meaning behind it, but you can't ban people from wearing what they like, start doing that and you're running dangerously close to us ending up living in 1984.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely ******* not. I can't believe how intolerent people are..

I can completely understand people's disgust at there being Sharia courts in the UK and the conversion of churches into mosques.. but why on earth would you want to tell someone what they can and can't wear? It's thier belief, and they are obviously fairly devoted to that belief so people should respect that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwani)
    http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/11774
    All the proof you want
    Pssst.. the bits in brackets aren't written in the Qur'an!:facepalm2: :banghead:
    They are some self-indulgent Islamic scholars interpretation of what certain words mean to THEM, based on their interpretations of various Hadiths written well after the Qur'an, the most relevent one (I think?!) in this case, being Sunan al-Tirmidhi.

Sooooooo.........the Qur'an verse you've pointed to as "proof" of the Qur'an saying women HAVE to cover their faces, when you take away the added features scribbled in by the "scholars" is:

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed."
    I see no mention explicit mention of the face there, only of modesty and covering the bosom, as I said.

This is the problem with Islam. There's so much squabbling over interpretations of texts and in-fighting amongst Islam itself, before you even start considering how to treat the Jews and other kuffars.

Sort it out guys!!! How are we meant to respect Islam and take you seriously when you're not even sure what "good muslims" are supposed to be doing.:rolleyes: :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taheki)
    Absolutely ******* not. I can't believe how intolerent people are..

I can completely understand people's disgust at there being Sharia courts in the UK and the conversion of churches into mosques.. but why on earth would you want to tell someone what they can and can't wear? It's thier belief, and they are obviously fairly devoted to that belief so people should respect that.
    I dont respect islam and I dont respect muslims.

If they wnt to dress up like clowns they can go back to the desert where they came from. I dont wnt to walk down the street and have my sight assaulted by some niqab adorned creep walking in my street.

I dont want to look at that and I dont see why I should have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EthnicScot)
    I dont speak Arabic so I cant find a link. However As I have worked and lived in saudi I am telling you that women are required to wear it by law.
    :rolleyes: sure.

The wikipedia article specifically refers to Niqab incase you did notread it.
    I did read it, it has no relevant footnote hence it's useless, as I stated in my edit, your last paragraph doesn't match the footnote it provides.

and your picture proves nothing.
    hmm I thought they explicitly refuted your point....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    How on earth would all those Islamic women travelling through Muslim-majority countries be screened on flights then? For example, I imagine that the Pakistani government would have pretty tight restrictions on people travelling in from say, Jordan or Yemen.

As far as I am aware the women passangers must, during security checks, expose their faces so that security staff may ascertain their identity, but the security attendant is always female.

I know even in some NON-MUSLIM countries there are separate queues for men and women during security checks (e.g. China and India) so the 'religious excuse' of not willing to take it off temporarily simply wouldn't cut it. Such women would not be permitted to pass through security.

Do you dispute this?
    I'm sorry, dispute what (you do know my origional post was sarcastic?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Definitely in Public places and on Public Transport purely for security reasons. They should be able to wear what they like in the privacy of their own home though.
    When you say 'public places', what do you mean by this?

Just randomly on a street? Or in private spaces but which are open to the public (e.g. shops/museums). In the case of a shop/museum the property owner would have every right to dictate that the face is exposed, as would be applicable to a motorcycle helmet or balaclava.

However, could this really be transferable to a public space such as a pavement? Or park? I'm pretty sure it is perfectly legal to wear a motorcycle helmet/cricket helmet/balaclava whilst walking around in public, though of course you are more likely to be 'stopped and searched'.

ReputationRep:
    yes it should be banned, lets get rid of some mosques while we're at it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. It's a free country, remember. If a woman wishes to wear niqab, it is her right to do so, just as if she wishes to wear a miniskirt, she can do so. In fact, I would be more in favour of banning that than the veil.
    However, no woman in Britain should be forced to wear niqab by anyone, so she can take the matter to court, of course.
    But, any woman wearing niqab should be prepared to show her face if required to do so, for security, but should be able to request to do so in private. When I went to Jordan on holiday, at Security in the airport, women were checked in a closed off room, like a changing cubicle, by a woman, for their own modesty and protection. No Muslim woman would be opposed to that treatment.

Remember, traditional modesty in Islam originally came from Christian law... and wearing modest clothes is for a woman's own protection!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liptease)
    I did read it prior to commenting. I'm good like.

You realise that Abd Al-Wahab isn't God, don't you? I mean really that is such a pathetic argument.

Wahabi believe everyone is an enemy of Islam. Nothing new there.
    Abd Al-Wahab isnt God, he is the slave of God, duhhh, but by using the word Wahabi you are using one of Allah's names in a derogotary manner

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.