Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    This is the UK may I remind you. There are more Muslims than normal white British here. Especially in Birmingham. Therefore you look more weird if you are not wearing the veil, sheet, etc.
    What are these types?

You are aware that there are many white British Muslims too right?

Most Islamic women do not veil.

Anyone has the right to don the veil in a public place, even an atheist male. Its religious significance is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    What are these types?

You are aware that there are many white British Muslims too right?

Most Islamic women do not veil.

Anyone has the right to don the veil in a public place, even an atheist male. Its religious significance is irrelevant.
    Not you again. Please leave me alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    Personally I would say yes, not because I am against muslims but because I think those veils are intimidating!
    Also men can pretend to be women in those things! :p:
    Anyway if it was banned it wouldnt stop muslim women from practising their religion its not even compulsory, so who cares
    What's wrong with this though? If a man wants to wear the veil for whatever reason in public, then what is the issue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Not you again. Please leave me alone.
    So you have no idea what a normal white British person is then?

I think you're confusing nationality, skin complexion and religious affiliation here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    What's wrong with this though? If a man wants to wear the veil for whatever reason in public, then what is the issue?
    erm? I don't think you get my point

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure. Are you banning it because it covers the face? If so - why arnt you banning hats&scarves, crash helmets, and lots of other things i cant be bothered to think of?

I can understand banning it in places like banks/airports/schools etc or even with employees who deal with customers etc

If you are banning it because it is deameaning to women, then thats different, but what other demeaning things are there that arnt banned, and no one would think of banning cos they arnt muslim! (btw i cant think of any at the mo)

If the woman in question isnt being foced to wear it (because she isnt in the majority of cases) whats the problem? If you ban it she could just wear a wooly hat and scarf lol

OH!!! duh, i forgot it doesnt represent "british culture" hahaha, BAD THE DAMN THINGS, stealing out jobs... taking our women!!!

ReputationRep:
    Guys, you can't just make something illegal because you find it distasteful.

We live in a liberal society, and obviously great caution should be taken when it comes to banning anything. Banning the burka would come into conflict with the legal principles on which British law is founded - namely, that we have the freedom to do what we want, unless that freedom impinges on the safety or freedom of others, or the safety of the individual. There are obviously many grey areas around this - but by and large, this is the principle of our legal system, and and banning the burka would overturn it entirely.

Quite simply, there is no legitimate reason to ban the burka. Such legislation would never pass through the House of Lords, it would be unprecedented in British legal history. In France, they have the principle of 'laiciete' under which they can facilitate this ban - we have no such thing, and therefore no justification.

Apart from anything else, such a law would be regressive to the point of absurd - beyond common public decency laws, there has never before been a law to regulate how we dress; such a meaure would be anachronistically illiberal - who the hell are we to tell women what they can and can't wear? Quite obviously, women, and men, should be allowed to wear what they want.

To those that say it's oppressive to women, I can certainly understand this view point - but you must see the paradox in then outlawing the burka - dictating what women can and can't wear, and entrenching this in law, is hardly emancipating to women. It's also an insult to those women who freely elect to wear the burka. To those women who are forced to wear the burka by husbunds/fathers, etc, there are already pre-existing laws in place to protect these women.

This is essentially blatant cultural imperialism; just because we can't understand or agree with a particular cultural and religious tradition, this doesn't mean it is wrong. And even if it is wrong, that doesn't mean for a second it should be illegal - morality does not dictate legality.

And to those saying they find the burka intimidating, ffs - it's hardly like pious Muslim women are the most common perpertrators of violent crimes. If it is simply the fact that their faces are largely obscured then surely beekeepers, or bearded people, or people with balaclavas would be equally intimidating? Or is 'intimidated' merely a euphemism for "I'm so narrow minded, provincial and xenophobic that I'm actually freaked out by the cultural difference?". If you're freaked out by people wearing burkas even though these people have done nothing to you, then quite frankly that's your own problem - it certainly shouldn't be theirs.

ReputationRep:
    in America everyone in favor of mass immigration benefit from it, and smear oponents as racist. The question should not be if those oppsed to the destruction of their culture ,language, ethnicity and history are racists, but are those that support it traitors to their country. I don't hate immigrants wanting to colonize my country, I hate countrymen in the media,government and even churches and unions embracing the downfall of their people while wearing a moral crown.borders change,people die

--- you'll find stuff like this all over youtube. element of truth to it though

ReputationRep:
    You know whats wrong with alot of you TSR posters, you have no ******* imagination. A "muslim" thread is done pretty much everyday, why do you still care? What difference does it make? Alienation and rejection of a cultural and religious symbol is suddenly gonna make an already marginalized and demonized religious minority more open to conformity and integration, yeah that makes real ******* sense. This is ******* lame.

ReputationRep:
    No they shouldn't ban it. As long as they are not harming anyone, live and let live.

ReputationRep:
    The Burqah is culture, not religion....... So if this had absolutely no reference to Islam, i dont think it would of been such a big issue
    If you ban the veil, then you would have to ban turbans, the Jewish kippah or any other visual religious symbols, no double standards please :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popcornmaster)
    it's intimidating to others even,
    what next, ban turbans because there big and people are afraid of them. The whole intimidating argument people go on about I personally find a bit odd, i mean when's the last time you have seen or heard of someone being attacked by a bunch of little muslim women wearing face veils :p: , id find it more itimidating to see someone strollup in a nike hoody and tracky bottoms (maybe they should be banned but thats a whole different argument)
    i understand people saying that it's harder to gage their emotions sometimes but ive never found it any harder to have a conversation with a person wearing one on. (all just my rambling opinion)

ReputationRep:
    They should be banned on the grounds that they discriminate against women and promote patriarchal inequality. The fact that they intimidate people doesn't even come into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    You know whats wrong with alot of you TSR posters, you have no ******* imagination. A "muslim" thread is done pretty much everyday, why do you still care? What difference does it make? Alienation and rejection of a cultural and religious symbol is suddenly gonna make an already marginalized and demonized religious minority more open to conformity and integration, yeah that makes real ******* sense. This is ******* lame.
    That's because TSR is full of closet Thatcherites and Daily Mail subscribers. Of the events they hear about, paranoid conspiracy theories about foreigners that barely differ in sustenance from vacuous theories on fourth dimensional aliens top the list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drew.)
    That's because TSR is full of closet Thatcherites and Daily Mail subscribers. Of the events they hear about, paranoid conspiracy theories about foreigners that barely differ in sustenance from vacuous theories on fourth dimensional aliens top the list.
    Hahaha, too true, idiocy at its best.

ReputationRep:
    Ban it?
    Absolutely not, I thought that in Britain we showed respect for other people's beliefs.(apart from those who support the BNP)
    If women want to wear a veil or a burka then it is their perogative. However, if a girl is forced to wear a veil by her parents or guardians then that is obviously wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milodevenus)
    Ban it?
    Absolutely not, I thought that in Britain we showed respect for other people's beliefs.(apart from those who support the BNP)
    If women want to wear a veil or a burka then it is their perogative. However, if a girl is forced to wear a veil by her parents or guardians then that is obviously wrong.
    I lol'd at that. People in Britain don't give a **** about anyone elses belief. All they are good at is moaning.

ReputationRep:
    It should definitely not be banned in my opinion. We (thankfully) have freedom of religion in this country and if, as part of their religion, people choose to wear a face veil I don't see anything wrong with that. The future of any society is multiculturism whether you like that or not. Yes, there are some lovely quaint British characteristics and it's nice to keep them going if you so desire, but I don't think people should feebly try and grasp onto it all when, frankly, that's not the future.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see it banned. It's supposedly for modesty but where's the modesty in drawing attention to themselves by walking around in disguise. It's just rubbing it in the face of the culture which they dislike so much yet insist on living in. It's more than an item of clothing, it's a symbol of seperation.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.