Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk12345)
    what next, ban turbans because there big and people are afraid of them. The whole intimidating argument people go on about I personally find a bit odd, i mean when's the last time you have seen or heard of someone being attacked by a bunch of little muslim women wearing face veils :p: , id find it more itimidating to see someone strollup in a nike hoody and tracky bottoms (maybe they should be banned but thats a whole different argument)
    i understand people saying that it's harder to gage their emotions sometimes but ive never found it any harder to have a conversation with a person wearing one on. (all just my rambling opinion)
    Maybe that is just it, it's harder for others to gauge emotions, people like seeing the whole face when conversing, intimidating is probably too strong a word. It's true it certainly is not as intimidating as bunch of 'youfs' in hoodies, can be obviously again not all of them. Still at the end of the day I don't want them banned, I live through Mill's harm principle and veils certainly aren't harming me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Christians don't believe in killing homosexuals.
    I know, I was just saying that it does say to do so in the Bible...but obviously we're more sensible than that.

ReputationRep:
    To drag back to the title of the thread...

I am for banning the veil in principal. However. Despite my approval for the ban, it would inevitably lead to a drive for removal of all religious garb for all religions. I wouldn't appreciate "breaking the law" if my corpus/medallions were visible through one of my shirts.

Seeing the niqab and burkha make me vomit, they are terrifying and although encouraged by islam, are incompatable with society - especially due to the (not overly accurate) stereotypes.

There are plenty of islamic states out there, so if it were illegal to wear a face veil in the UK, there are plenty of countries where they can be worn without question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    I know, I was just saying that it does say to do so in the Bible...but obviously we're more sensible than that.
    Where....

If it is in Leviticus, Yawn and I have resolved this one in D&D. Use the search function.

I no longer post in Religion because it is like pulling my eyes out with cheesegraters.

(Original post by Liptease)
    Errh, perhaps because their they're not Sunni.Their they're a modern movement which rejects the supremacy of the four traditional Madhabs, and have very different beliefs from Sunni Muslims.
    This is either a lie or a lack of information.
    Wahabis/Salafis , however you want to call them do not follow a particular Madhab but rather take from all of the four, what ever they see right because the four Imams are not prophets and could have got some things wrong, and as Salafis/Wahabis, we follow whatever is right and agrees with the Quran and Sunnah.

And I know who the Salafi were. The question is. Do you?
    Of course I do, and I always pray to god so that I am a Salafi.
    Salafis are the followers of the Salaf, these are the first three generations after the message of Islam came ie: after the prophet may peace be upon him.
    Salaf therefore follow pure Sunnah which we are meant to do.

Wahabi have nothing to do with the original Salafis. Just because they use the same name doesn't make it so.
    People call others 'Wahabis' after the name of Mohamed Ibn Abdel-Wahab, he was a great Imam whose aim was to get rid of monotheism which affected lots of muslims as they started worshiping graves and commiting Shirk.
    Just because some people such as the Suffis did not agree with him, and declared a war against anything that calls to Tawhid, the word Wahabis, with a negative image, has spread everywhere. But what is funny enough is the fact that some people use it without even knowing where it comes from!!:rolleyes:

I suggest you read up about what they actually believe and who they are before swinging into their rescue.
    I am defending the Sunnah here, and thanks God, I know everything about Sheikh Ibn-Abdel Wahab, thanks god that I knew him before I knew his enemies and finally I really wish I will meet him in the Jannah..Amen.

ReputationRep:
    I've no problem with the headscarves, but the burqa is anti-social and imposing. Ban it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggsy's Girl)
    I've no problem with the headscarves, but the burqa is anti-social and imposing. Ban it.
    Surely if the burqa was to be banned the same law would need to apply to balaclavas?

I think the government would need to phrase it such that: 'all items of clothing that cover the face are prohibited' rather than specifically singling one's out.

That said, I don't think it's actually illegal to wear a balaclava in a public space either. If this is the case, why should it be illegal for anyone (male, female, religious, atheist) to wear a burqa in public?

ReputationRep:
    would I be around to walk around in a balaclava ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Surely if the burqa was to be banned the same law would need to apply to balaclavas?

I think the government would need to phrase it such that: 'all items of clothing that cover the face are prohibited' rather than specifically singling one's out.

That said, I don't think it's actually illegal to wear a balaclava in a public space either. If this is the case, why should it be illegal for anyone (male, female, religious, atheist) to wear a burqa in public?
    What the hell kind of person wears a balaclava walking down the street? No-one in their right mind does that. Some people wear them for safety reasons at work or whatever, but no-one wears them whilst nipping to the shops. So sure, ban those too, but this is about the BURQA which I believe should be banned, especially in schools and on public transport.

ReputationRep:
    I may be wrong, but I suspect that the only people who don't want it banned are muslims and people who work for the daily mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLeader)
    It can be removed for security purposes so i dont see the issue.
    That's a fair point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathperson)
    I may be wrong, but I suspect that the only people who don't want it banned are muslims and people who work for the daily mail
    or just educated people who value freedom

ReputationRep:
    Yes, ****'s anti-social.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    This is either a lie or a lack of information.
    Wahabis/Salafis , however you want to call them do not follow a particular Madhab but rather take from all of the four, what ever they see right because the four Imams are not prophets and could have got some things wrong, and as Salafis/Wahabis, we follow whatever is right and agrees with the Quran and Sunnah.
    They mix the Madhabs and reject much of the Madhabs. So how on earth can they be Sunni? They are quite clearly a different sect. You have just admitted you believe that for over 1200 years from the founding of the Madhabs they got "some things wrong". Thus you have rejected the primacy of the Madhabs, and instead believe that Abed Al-Wahaab was a superior scholar. Thus Wahabi fall outside of Sunni Islam and form a Madhab separate from Sunni Muslims.

Of course I do, and I always pray to god so that I am a Salafi.
    Salafis are the followers of the Salaf, these are the first three generations after the message of Islam came ie: after the prophet may peace be upon him.
    Salaf therefore follow pure Sunnah which we are meant to do.
    Salafi/Wahabi merely use the name "Salaf". There is zero evidence that they actually follow the original beliefs. You only need to look at how corrupt and evil a society Saudi Arabia is to understand how backward they are.

People call others 'Wahabis' after the name of Mohamed Ibn Abdel-Wahab, he was a great Imam whose aim was to get rid of monotheism which affected lots of muslims as they started worshiping graves and commiting Shirk.
    Just because some people such as the Suffis did not agree with him, and declared a war against anything that calls to Tawhid, the word Wahabis, with a negative image, has spread everywhere. But what is funny enough is the fact that some people use it without even knowing where it comes from!!:rolleyes:
    It is not just Sufi who disagree with him. The Ottoman Caliphate Imams disagreed with his belief systems. All the great Sunni Muftis of all the Madhabs find his beliefs utterly erroneous.

I am defending the Sunnah here, and thanks God, I know everything about Sheikh Ibn-Abdel Wahab, thanks god that I knew him before I knew his enemies and finally I really wish I will meet him in the Jannah..Amen.
    You entitled to defend your interpretation of the Sunna. However Sunni Muslims feel we have the right to defend our traditional Islamic beliefs when they are under attack by fundamentalists like the wahabi/Salafi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galatea)
    or just educated people who value freedom
    I'm educated, value freedom and feeling comefitable and secure.

ReputationRep:
    no. let Muslim women wear it, its not harming anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    I wouldn't be adverse to a full ban on the Muslim veil, but at the very least I think it should be recognised that there are some places/jobs where it's not appropriate to wear the veil, or any form of face covering at all (e.g. teaching) - and that this should be respected by all people.
    yh

ReputationRep:
    Amazing how ever since muslims have migrated to europe it has never been a problem. The problem only came in recent years when an anti - islamic atmosphere developed. Even more shocking is how Sikhs are allowed to carry daggers around yet this is not a security issue and no one even talks about banning it. Which would you fear more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLeader)
    Amazing how ever since muslims have migrated to europe it has never been a problem. The problem only came in recent years when an anti - islamic atmosphere developed. Even more shocking is how Sikhs are allowed to carry daggers around yet this is not a security issue and no one even talks about banning it. Which would you fear more
    ...and i wonder what caused that! :rolleyes:

(Original post by Liptease)
    They mix the Madhabs and reject much of the Madhabs. So how on earth can they be Sunni? They are quite clearly a different sect. You have just admitted you believe that for over 1200 years from the founding of the Madhabs they got "some things wrong". Thus you have rejected the primacy of the Madhabs, and instead believe that Abed Al-Wahaab was a superior scholar. Thus Wahabi fall outside of Sunni Islam and form a Madhab separate from Sunni Muslims.
    How can not following a particular Madhab make you a non-Sunni???!!!! Can you give me an evidence for that?!
    The four Imams are from the Salaf, they were clearly following pure Sunnah, but just had different views on some minor aspects;
    They are humans and they can have things wrong. Islam is not a blind faith where you just follow what ever you find, but rather what is closer to the Quran and the Sunnah which is what the 'Wahabis' do, they believe that it is wrong to say that one Imam is right and the other is wrong but rather take from all of them. An other thing is that following one Imam is sometimes difficul as you have to take everything from him, one example is that the Imam Shafie believes that a husband/wife has to do the wudu again whenever they touch each other, and by touching I mean just onefinger touching eachother's finger. This is certainly hard to apply, and I know some people who follow the Madhab actually do it! So why put yourself in a position where you are not comfortable?

Salafi/Wahabi merely use the name "Salaf". There is zero evidence that they actually follow the original beliefs. You only need to look at how corrupt and evil a society Saudi Arabia is to understand how backward they are.
    Well that it your own opinion and you obviously can't transform it into a fact; Saudi Arabia is the country of Tawhid, you will not find a Masjid with a grave built in it!! unlike other countries.
    And can you please give me an example that shows that Saudi Arabia is backward? Because it depends on your definition of the term!

It is not just Sufi who disagree with him. The Ottoman Caliphate Imams disagreed with his belief systems. All the great Sunni Muftis of all the Madhabs find his beliefs utterly erroneous.
    Do you know what you're actually talking about? because to me, with my respect, is nonsense!!
    He was born in 1703 and died in 1792, so how can the Ottman Caliphate Imams agree/disagree with him??

You entitled to defend your interpretation of the Sunna. However Sunni Muslims feel we have the right to defend our traditional Islamic beliefs when they are under attack by fundamentalists like the wahabi/Salafi.
    I repeat again, Wahabis/Salafis are Sunnis !
    You are more than welcome to defend your beliefs but from what I have read unfortunately, it looks like you have no idea of who Sheikh Muhammed Ibn-Abdel Wahab is ! And I am certain that you are a victim of brainwashing from the enemies of the SUNNAH .

May Allah guide us all.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.