Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

When someone moves to a new country they have to respect the cultures of that country.

We are not a Muslim nation so we should not bend the rules for them. Neither should we for any other culture coming here. We allow people freedom of religion and freedom of expression so we are not telling them not to have their religion.

But it does not reflect the United Kingdom's on how women are treated or women in our culture. So it should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    I think that this issue is indescribably hypocritical. The argument that a veil, a piece of clothing worn to cover the bodies of women, is demeaning to women is IRRELEVANT if it is worn out of choice If a woman chooses to wear something from their own free will then how can a third party comment in a disparaging way? The ideals and beliefs that veiled women hold, perhaps are different to your own and where you believe it is demeaning she finds it to be empowering. It could be likened to the sexual promiscuity&feminism argument where one woman may find it demeaning to have sex with a plethora of men whilst another woman may find it empowering. Does that mean we should ban sex because of it?

To say that a veil does not belong to British society, is very obtuse also. As the Muslim population undoubtably have shaped society to some extent (as all immigrants do to an extent), therefore should this not just be accepted as a change? If throughout history we resisted any form of change to our surroundings, we would be still living in huts and hunting for food. Why not encourage integration in a way which allows people to remain comfortable, thus allowing cohesion of religion and culture.

Britain is involved in 2 wars to "promote democracy" across the world. The ability to decide to wear what you want would fall under this acclaimed democracy, no?

Whilst the proposal to BAN the veil seems ludicrous to me, I do believe however, that in certain situations, allowances must be made by the veiled women. Primary school teachers, at airport security etc etc where communication is key then I believe the veiled should be discouraged.

ReputationRep:
    I think Muslim people should wear vader masks instead of face veils.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1991)
    No... Should allowed if the woman wants to wear it. End of.
    They are often pressured into it or indoctrinated into it by their culture. It isn't very often they truly wholeheartedly want to wear a veil.

It's not British, it's not part of our heritage and other cultures should bend to our rules, not us bend to their rules.

ReputationRep:
    I think there needs to be a compromise. Muslim women who wear it need to realise that there are situations and places where they can't do so and they need to accept that, but at the same time everyone else needs to respect their right to wear what they want to wear. I'm muslim and have yet to meet a single women or girl who wears it and did not do so voluntarily. I don't doubt that some have it forced upon them, but i do think that you'd be hard pressed to find many women in that situation over here in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    In places like schools and in hospitals yes (but I would not be surprised if this was already the case). And if an employer asks that their employees show their face. Or if a shopkeeper asks that customers show their face etc.

But on public streets and certainly in private places - there is no justifiable reason to ban.

EDIT: Reasoning: sometimes I wear a scarf over my face and a hat, when it's very cold. I wouldn't expect to get away with that in a professional setting, I might be asked to take off this arrangement by my employer or by a shop keeper for example; but walking down the road - where's the problem?
    I don't think there should be double standards for religion ever. The only thing that matters is "is it acceptable in this situation to have your face covered?", it does not matter what the nature of the covering is (religious or whatever).

And I don't think you can push for women's freedom by restricting (unnecessarily) everybody's freedom to wear what they please in situations where doing so is appropriate. A woman walking down the street covering her face with a veil is not harming anyone. In a working environment (particularly public sector, ie: schools/hospitals) the situation is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Harlequinn Mask)
    They are often pressured into it or indoctrinated into it by their culture. It isn't very often they truly wholeheartedly want to wear a veil.

It's not British, it's not part of our heritage and other cultures should bend to our rules, not us bend to their rules.
    I've never met a muslim woman who was forced to wear the veil. Every single one has voluntarily started it, and I actually no considerably mroe muslim men than women who are opposed to it and feel uncomfortable at their wife's (or sister's/daughter's/other female relation's lol) decision to wear it

And are you seriously saying that only things that are part of British heritage should be tolerated in this country? Sounds a bit extreme to me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    In places like schools and in hospitals yes (but I would not be surprised if this was not already the case). And if an employer asks that their employees show their face. Or if a shopkeeper asks that customers show their face etc.

But on public streets and certainly in private places - there is no justifiable reason to ban.
    As far as I know it's not allowed for doctors/nurses etc. Not sure about schools though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by The Harlequinn Mask)
    Is allowing people to express their personal freedom in what they choose to wear not British? I'm not a fan of the face veil, and I'm sure women are often forced to wear it, but it seems strange that we think it appropriate to dictate what others may or may not wear. A blanket ban is not the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Im muslim

And I would prefer a ban on the veil in public places e.g highstreets, parks. For security and social reasons mostly. But there shouldn't be a harsh fine or anything of the sort.

But not in privately owned places

No, however it should be treated in exactly the same way as a balaclava or motorcycle helmet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    I wouldn't be adverse to a full ban on the Muslim veil, but at the very least I think it should be recognised that there are some places/jobs where it's not appropriate to wear the veil, or any form of face covering at all (e.g. teaching) - and that this should be respected by all people.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    It wont get banned, and why should it,
    Why do people always talk about the veil when they dont adopt the veil themselves?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe the veil should be banned. If they wish to wear it then that's their choice. The only circumstance where it should be removed is in security scenarios whereby the person needs to be identified (which the majority of Muslims do not object too).

http://thingeh.hattix.co.uk/?p=43 <--- Blog on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolicon)
    u want something to be banned that belongs to a religion thats very disrespectful.
    There's clear orders to kill homosexuals in the Bible, but we've banned that.....
    And there's nothing in the Qur'an about wearing a burka.

ReputationRep:
    And it should be allowed in all places, including schools and hospitals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    There's clear orders to kill homosexuals in the Bible, but we've banned that.....
    And there's nothing in the Qur'an about wearing a burka.
    It does state in the quran to cover the face

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere where you are allowed to wear a veil, I should be allowed to wear a balaclava.

If I can't wear a balaclava, they shouldn't be able to wear a burka.

Someone in a morph-suit got chucked out a bank... no veils in banks! that's my reasoning. The law must apply the same to all people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Primordial Soup)
    I think that this issue is indescribably hypocritical. The argument that a veil, a piece of clothing worn to cover the bodies of women, is demeaning to women is IRRELEVANT if it is worn out of choice
    Its demeaning to men.

Wearing a veil sends the message, that all men in that society are perverted.

Which in most places in this country they are not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    No, however it should be treated in exactly the same way as a balaclava or motorcycle helmet.
    I think this is the most acceptable post in this thread. :yep:

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.