Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes great idea, lets force upon these people the freedom to not be forced to wear something and instead wear what they want by forcing them not to wear what they want. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    No, however it should be treated in exactly the same way as a balaclava or motorcycle helmet.
    I agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    For children. Yes definately. You don't send your kids to primary school wearing a balaclava, it's the most important stage of their social development. For adults, no it shouldn't be banned, they can wear whatever they want. But like a user said above, it should be treated in t he same way as motorcycle helmet etc.. Which means that the owners of a property should legallly be able to ask the woman to remove it.

ReputationRep:
    It seems wrong to ban it. It's wrong to tell people what they can and can't wear, and that stands for Muslims forcing girls into the veil, and to the government for forcing others out of it.

There are some issues in this country around the face veil (like with security, but I don't think that's some massive problem, really), and I do think overall it's a negative thing - but the answer to this isn't to set down an order that people can't wear it. That doesn't address the underlying issues which are so worrying, to me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwani)
    It does state in the quran to cover the face
    Another so called muslim ignorant of his own religion.

31. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms

Since when did boobs = face ??

Also beauty in this context of the arabic word used, is a purely sexual beauty. Not a chaste beauty.

ReputationRep:
    I think people need to stop comparing the face veil to a balaclava/helmet! Er,hello? Its a belief,yes its not a must in Islam,but people dont BELIEVE/feel the NEED to wear a helmet/balaclava in public places!! Thats ridicolous.

People need to stop being so judgemental of each other and be allowed to express themselves in whichever form they want.

Besides, im pretttttty sure the government needs to be concentrating on more corrupt issues than a woman who wants to express herself by dressing in a way that makes her feel safe...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)

Ditto.
    Its lack of knowledge. If your not sure of something DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Your only causing more damage..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    I have proof

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    For children. Yes definitely. You don't send your kids to primary school wearing a balaclava, it's the most important stage of their social development. For adults, no it shouldn't be banned, they can wear whatever they want. But like a user said above, it should be treated in t he same way as motorcycle helmet etc.. Which means that the owners of a property should legallly be able to ask the woman to remove it.
    This I completely agree with,

It should be treated the same as motorcycle helmet or balaclava.

PS Reiterating Im muslim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    Its demeaning to men.

Wearing a veil sends the message, that all men in that society are perverted.

Which in most places in this country they are not.
    Women who dress the opposite, are scantily clad etc also use that assumption though. By wearing minimal clothing, she will gain male attention. Same message being used by both sides of the spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Harlequinn Mask)
    When someone moves to a new country they have to respect the cultures of that country.
    What, like the UK did when we decided it was alright to colonise a quarter of the world and its people?

It's a bit of a joke to tell immigrants, or the British children of immigrants, that they have to respect and adhere to our 'culture' (whatever that is) - when we've probably trampled all over their's not a hundred years ago.

If the UK has any sort of pervasive culture or tradition - it's that of going over to other countries, imposing ourselves on them with no regard for human life, suffering, or respect for their culture and then pissing off and leaving them with the mess. Then, of course, complaining and acting outraged when people from those countries want to live here but refuse to wear bowler hats and eat fish and chips out of newspaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weee91)
    I think people need to stop comparing the face veil to a balaclava/helmet! Er,hello? Its a belief,yes its not a must in Islam,but people dont BELIEVE/feel the NEED to wear a helmet/balaclava in public places!! Thats ridicolous.
    :confused: Why is a belief of the need to wear a helmet/balaclave more rediculas than a veil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolicon)
    u want something to be banned that belongs to a religion thats very disrespectful.
    It's not a required part of Islam. The Koran only says that women should dress 'modestly'. I support a full ban on the burqa and niqab.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto.
    Its lack of knowledge. If your not sure of something DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL. Your only causing more damage..

For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…”

[al-Noor 24:31]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Harlequinn Mask)
    They are often pressured into it or indoctrinated into it by their culture. It isn't very often they truly wholeheartedly want to wear a veil.

It's not British, it's not part of our heritage and other cultures should bend to our rules, not us bend to their rules.
    Are there official state rules regarding what clothing you may wear?

(not school uniform, formal wear, black tie etc. - I mean OFFICIAL state rules specifying what types of clothing are prohibited in public).

As far as I am aware, it is an offence to be naked (completely) or exposing one's genitals (indecent exposure), but not to wear veils, hoodies, headscarves, balaclavas, turbans, baseball caps, cricket helmets etc.

ReputationRep:
    For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…”

[al-Noor 24:31]
    There is your proof
    Drawing the veil all over the juyoob implies covering the face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    No, however it should be treated in exactly the same way as a balaclava or motorcycle helmet.
    Got it in one.

ReputationRep:

People need to stop being so judgemental of each other and be allowed to express themselves in whichever form they want.

Besides, im pretttttty sure the government needs to be concentrating on more corrupt issues than a woman who wants to express herself by dressing in a way that makes her feel safe...
    Regardless or not whether it comes as part of a belief or due to some other activity, the outcome is the same; in that the face is covered. This does pose some problems. For example, communication in hospitals, schools ect. and moreover security issues in some public places such as airports, stations etc. In this regard, they should be considered no more than a face-mask and the fact that it is part of your belief gives you no more right to wear it.

ReputationRep:
    There is your proof
    'If I didn't have a clue about Arabic I might think that “juyubihinna" actually means FACE. There is no way that this word means face or body in Arabic. It comes from the root word meaning neck, collarbone in arabic. Not only is the stuff in brackets wrong, but it is inside the quotes of the Quran. This is how the older scriptures got corrupted, people slowly started sneaking their own words into the text. Alhamdulillah Allah promises to protect the Quran until Judgement Day. I have also read ahadith translated so badly, where the word head is substituted with face just to try to make an evidence out of nothing. '

ReputationRep:
    There is your proof
    The translation at the top of google says

[24:31] And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, other women, the male servants or employees whose sexual drive has been nullified, or the children who have not reached puberty. They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake and reveal certain details of their bodies. All of you shall repent to GOD, O you believers, that you may succeed

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.