Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by >RazorImages<)
    Yes, the women are forced to wear it by their men, it's not for religious purposes. The veil they wear just over their hair is for religion, but it's not compulsory for them to cover their entire face.

If we have to cover up when we go to their country, why shouldn't they respect our culture aswell?

Good on France! :]
    Outside of Saudi Arabia (and possibly Somalia), I don't think any country in the world has a specific form of dress for women.

Can you think of one in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Rizwani,
    okay if there's that much emphasis on the covering of woman's face why do not many who wear the hijab wear the veil, i know alot of muslim woman who truly believe in the hijab but not the face covering;niqab.
    And why is there not much emphasis for wearing the face veil??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    I don't think that veiling is part of a (major) recognized religion. If so, which one is it?
    :confused:My point was that I'm not exactly sure why it makes a difference whether it is or isn't. And if it were to make a difference than one could simply invent a religion or decided to interpret religious text in a way which allows whatever they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Not sure why that should make a difference. Besides anyone could quite simply just declare that it is part of a religion.
    They could,but like really..who actually does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weee91)
    Rizwani,
    okay if there's that much emphasis on the covering of woman's face why do not many who wear the hijab wear the veil, i know alot of muslim woman who truly believe in the hijab but not the face covering;niqab.
    And why is there not much emphasis for wearing the face veil??
    Some scholars do stipulate that it may not or is compulsory to cover the face, thats why there is such an issue, but i believe the more correct view is to cover the face, as indicated in many texts of Quran and Hadith(sayings of the prophet)

ReputationRep:
    They could,but like really..who actually does.
    Rizwani

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Rizwani
    Finding it hard that i proved by authentic texts that it is compulsory?
    And it wasnt my own judgement.

ReputationRep:
    "It doesn't have a place in British society"?

What - Freedom of choice?

The great thing about British society is that you can wear whatever religous clothing or jewelry you want, and no one can tell you not to.

If these people want to wear a veil, let them. They're adults, it's their own decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwani)
    Some scholars do stipulate that it may not or is compulsory to cover the face, thats why there is such an issue, but i believe the more correct view is to cover the face, as indicated in many texts of Quran and Hadith(sayings of the prophet)

Okay,so where do scholars get it from when they say it says in the quran that it's not complusary..?

ReputationRep:
    Finding it hard that i proved by authentic texts that it is compulsory?
    And it wasnt my own judgement.

Oh but you didn't. The translation at the top of google says

[24:31] And tell the believing women to subdue their eyes, and maintain their chastity. They shall not reveal any parts of their bodies, except that which is necessary. They shall cover their chests, and shall not relax this code in the presence of other than their husbands, their fathers, the fathers of their husbands, their sons, the sons of their husbands, their brothers, the sons of their brothers, the sons of their sisters, other women, the male servants or employees whose sexual drive has been nullified, or the children who have not reached puberty. They shall not strike their feet when they walk in order to shake and reveal certain details of their bodies. All of you shall repent to GOD, O you believers, that you may succeed
    So it really depends on how you interpret necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    "It doesn't have a place in British society"?

What - Freedom of choice?

The great thing about British society is that you can wear whatever religous clothing or jewelry you want, and no one can tell you not to.

If these people want to wear a veil, let them. They're adults, it's their own decision.

If only there were more people like you in the world....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Oh but you didn't. The translation at the top of google says

So it really depends on how you interpret necessary.
    The arabic has stayed the same, so the quran has not changed. And yes even with that translation of yours it still states the niqaab is necessary. End Quote

ReputationRep:
    Okay,so where do scholars get it from when they say it says in the quran that it's not complusary..?
    to be honest i dont know how the scholars get the opinion that it is not compulsory but i think it is down to the meaning of the words which stipulate that the face can be uncovered. but as far as i know the proof which i see states that it has to be covered

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Clearly though, one of these groups has to be wrong.
    The scholars who argue for each view do so with evidence from the Qu'ran and Sunnah. Some people follow the stricter opinion of seeing the niqab as compulsory. Others take the other view of seeing it as only recommended. To be honest, I do not know if one group is wrong or not because the scholars who argue for their own sides believe their opinion to be the more correct one.

Also here is an extract explaining why differences of opinions might occur amongst scholars:

At the time of the Revelation, the Muslims learned the rulings of Islam from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) through the verses of the Holy Qur’aan and the ahaadeeth of his Sunnah. Hence there were no differences of opinion among them except with regard to some minor issues. If that happened, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) would explain to them what was correct.

When the Prophet (pbuh) died and the Sahaabah spread out to various regions to teach the people Islam, there appeared some differences with regard to some matters of fiqh which arose at different times and in different places. These differences were due to a number of reasons, which we will sum up here from the words of the scholars:

1- The evidence had not reached the one who held a different opinion, and he made a mistake in forming his opinion.

2- The hadeeth had reached the scholar, but he did not regard the transmitter as trustworthy, and he thought that it went against something that was stronger, so he followed that which he thought was stronger than it.

3- The hadeeth had reached him but he forgot it.

4- The hadeeth had reached him but he understood it in a way other than the intended meaning.

5- The hadeeth reached him but it was abrogated, and he did not know the abrogating text.

6- He thought that it contradicted something that was stronger than it, whether that was a text or scholarly consensus (ijmaa’)

7- The scholar used a weak hadeeth as the basis for his ruling, or he derived the ruling by means of weak arguments.

ReputationRep:
    The arabic has stayed the same, so the quran has not changed. And yes even with that translation of yours it still states the niqaab is necessary. End Quote
    In your interpretation maybe. I however would interpret
    expect that which is necessary.
    as including the face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    In your interpretation maybe. I however would interpret as including the face.
    http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21134/niqaab

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i dont know how the scholars get the opinion that it is not compulsory but i think it is down to the meaning of the words which stipulate that the face can be uncovered. but as far as i know the proof which i see states that it has to be covered

But it seems they must be a very small number, as there seems to be more saying its not compulsary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    We boast about freedom of speech and expression. Eh?
    ...along with the freedom of religion.

The irony is alarming.

ReputationRep:
    Are we going to ban wearing hoods whilst wearing a scarf, motorcycle helmets, and balaclavas too?

ReputationRep:
    But it seems they must be a very small number, as there seems to be more saying its not compulsary?
    yeah theres probably way more people saying it is not compulsory, but you have to look at the Quran texts and with it, Hadith and what the companions of the prophet said because they learnt from the prophet directly and practiced it in their actions.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21134/niqaab - this article basically provides all the supporting proof for the interpretation of quran texts with external evidence

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.