The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Broderss
People in Britain will be stopped by police when wearing a balaclava or anything covering the face, so why should it be any different for Muslims?

People in Britain are stopped by the police for a lot of things. My friend was stopped twice in the same day for "walking quickly", which shockingly, people tend to do when they are trying to get to work. You see, the police here will have to use something called "common sense" which is something you may not be aware of. Now, despite my previous experiences with the police, they can tell the difference between someone who has just robbed a bank, an emo with a long fringe, and a devout muslim woman wearing a veil as she goes about her daily business.

Also it doesn't take much for someone to don a veil and the rest of the Muslim gear before they are completely hidden from CCTV and free to go around raping children. It is a MAJOR security issue.

Let's ban halloween masks, surgeons masks, team mascot costumes, hooded tops, hats, scarves and the Catholic Church while we're at it huh.

Besides, it's not like the veil is forced upon them in Islam so there is no reason to go against a ban.

Religion is stupid anyway so who gives a ****.

I know, that's what I said. Just because a holy book says something is OK doesn't make it so but I believe it should be up to individuals to choose what they do or do not wear, religious or not. As long as it doesn't impinge on anyone elses safety, which except for a few certain situations the veil does not. And besides, just because you can see someones face it doesn't somehow mean we're all safer, I know countless people who have got into clubs, been served and even gotten through airport security with other people's passports.

And are you trying to say the Taliban and the moral police in Iran are bad or wrong?

Urm... yes? Making it a criminal offense to wear (or not) a piece of clothing is stupid.
Reply 121
No....
Yes, and I don't even care about oppressed women.
Reply 123
No. Banning it will just cause more tension, as has already been said.

I thought we were living in a free country? Banning it means that Muslim women no longer have the right to choose whether they want to wear a veil or not.

Not every Muslim woman who wears the veil is oppressed. Some choose to do so out of their own free will (granted these people are in the minority...)

A little fascist to ban it, don't you think?
Reply 124
Lust of a Gardener
"It doesn't have a place in British society"?

What - Freedom of choice?

The great thing about British society is that you can wear whatever religous clothing or jewelry you want, and no one can tell you not to.

If these people want to wear a veil, let them. They're adults, it's their own decision.

That is not quite right, a female working for BA was taken to court a few years back for wearing a cross around her neck. And I think the prosecution won...

Quite an interesting read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_cross_controversy
Reply 125

Do you know how ridiculous you sound? Banning what is essentially a harmless piece of clothing in public is utterly ludicrous. I really don't see the big deal, what right do you have to judge what other people wear? What harm is it causing?
No.

(Btw, we need a proper poll.)
Rizwani
For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, headcover, apron), and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)…”

[al-Noor 24:31]

That is one interpretation of the Quran. It is just as valid as anybody else's, provided they are not completely ignorant.

Also, to everybody saying the burka conflicts with British culture - how exactly does it do so? Which tradition does it go against, precisely?
DEFINITELY!:woo:
Reply 129
Yes. Fed up of being jumped by ninjas, even when walking to the shop down the street.
Just ban it where it is necessary such as airports, teaching posts, etc where communication and visuality is an absolute
It shouldn't be banned. What should be is the legal defense of doing something because religion specifies it, when this conflicts with a law that others must respect, these being non-religious people OR people following another religion. For example, that girl who tried to wear a christian chastity ring at school for religious reasons. Schools ban jewellery for practical and safety reasons; rules such as this should never be ignored simply because a person's religion tells them they can ignore them.
fire2burn
Are we going to ban wearing hoods whilst wearing a scarf, motorcycle helmets, and balaclavas too?

When most people come across a veiled Muslim woman, they don't expect to get mugged or knifed.
Joseph90
that doesn't belong in British society.

so would you want to ban other non British things like curry, kebabs, the balaclava, tobacco, wine, or even Christianity (as it is a Middle Eastern religion) ??
Rizwani
It does state in the quran to cover the face

I'am a Muslim and no it doesn't, it says to dress modestly.
Reply 135
Yes, it's a 'free country'
Reply 136
Lust of a Gardener
"It doesn't have a place in British society"?

What - Freedom of choice?

The great thing about British society is that you can wear whatever religous clothing or jewelry you want, and no one can tell you not to.

If these people want to wear a veil, let them. They're adults, it's their own decision.

No it shouldn't be banned, but all of this freedom bullcrap needs to stop, we need to control things now and again, if everyone goes around doing as they please this world will not be a good place.
Inzamam99
I'am a Muslim and no it doesn't, it says to dress modestly.
The face veil's popularity is part of the growth in Fundamentalism and the abandonment of Classical Islam. The sad truth is most Muslims have no idea of the difference between the two.

As to the broader question...No I wouldn't 'ban' it. It's illiberal and gives the fundies. something to martyr themselves over.
Reply 138
Nope.
Fashion Police is an amusing theoretical concept but an abhorrent practical reality.
Reply 139
Ban the veil and you should ban every other religous symbol. Which I'm all for.

Latest