Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should the UK ban the Muslim face veil? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inzamam99)
    I'am a Muslim and no it doesn't, it says to dress modestly.
    please refer to my earlier post with the quran text

ReputationRep:
    It they want to wear it, let them don't restrict their human rights, let them do what they want it's not hurting anyone and no one should even care! what about the sikhs who carry bloody daggers (kirpan) around with them, I find it funny that muslim women are picked on for wearing something that isn't against the law but a sikh guy can perfectly carry a dagger around with him lool

ReputationRep:
    Isn't feminism all about choice - the fact that you want to force women to conform to your image of a non oppressed women shows that you want to oppress people - one should have no social, moral or political authority on what people wear, and indeed, what people feel like where they wear something, also the symbolism of certain items of clothing.

I don't care what people wear. Nobody should. There is no difference between a face veil and a pair of jeans in my eyes.

I also wonder why people find short women in black intimidating. I think those people should man the **** up.

Also, how are these very distinct items of clothing 'insecure'. If I'm a security guard, or member of the public, such a person is very obvious. I don't know why anyone would want people of a religious denomination that they particularly accossiate with extremism to not wear their very conspicuous clothing, and instead dress like a normal western man or women. Explosives are concealable behind anything nowadays, what security idiots are saying, is simply, we want the people we think are a threat to look like everyone else so they are impossible to keep tabs on. Or maybe it's just a ploy to allow them to keep tabs on everyone. Sinister stuff.

ReputationRep:
    yeah they should ban it as its like someone wearing a hoodie with the hood up walking around the streets, if they don't like it then they can go back to the country they came from or just deal with,

the french have got the balls to do that and we haven't, human rights idiots will more than likely have something to say and say its against human rights as they usually do for everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwani)
    please refer to my earlier post with the quran text
    That was such an absurd translation. The vast majority of Sunni scholars including the Sunni Grand Muftis agree that it is not compulsory.

Only Non-Sunni Wahabbi/Salafi are insisting on that it is compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    There's clear orders to kill homosexuals in the Bible, but we've banned that.....
    And there's nothing in the Qur'an about wearing a burka.
    people say that its not in the quran or it is, it doesnt matter.....its part of the culture, personal choice n so on.....so let it be

No, it should not be banned for the benefit of both sides.

(Original post by Liptease)
    That was such an absurd translation. The vast majority of Sunni scholars including the Sunni Grand Muftis agree that it is not compulsory.

Only Non-Sunni Wahabbi/Salafi are insisting on that it is compulsory.

How dare you call Whabis/Salafis non-sunnis!~

Although WAHABI is a word that enemies have made up! Do you know who is Abdel-Wahab? well if you did then I don't think you'd write that.

Salafis are folowers of Al-Salaf! so you call them non-sunnis?!!

I advise you to go and teach yourself some lessons about such terms before you use them !

ReputationRep:
    I think, NoOne has the right to force something which is not harmful for society.and i think that this is not harmful.Women should be respected in that.

ReputationRep:
    Ban religion.

Praise be to science.

Oooooooooh.

ReputationRep:
    Ban them dressing like postboxes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rizwani)
    It does state in the quran to cover the face
    I don't think this is the case.
    It say's women should dress modestly, and cover their bosom, but I'm not aware of there being any command in the Qur'an saying explicitly that a woman should cover her face. In fact, doesn't it say that the hair and the body should be covered except the hands and the face?!....

The face of a woman being considered "Awrah," and the covering of it being obligatory, was coined by medieval Hadith collectors around 200 years after the Qur'an was written, and has since become more of a cultural thing.
    And so - even in the 21st century - Saudi Arabian alleged "scholars" (i.e. fraudsters,) are justifying telling YOU how YOU should live, dress, and behave, by referring to medieval Hadith collections, and ambiguous passages in the Qur'an that they can interpret to suit them.

And you're buying it!!:redface:

To roughly quote the Prophet Pat Condell here:
    "If God wanted you to cover your face, do you not think, in his wisdom, he would have given you a flap of skin for the purpose?"

(Original post by DJkG.1)
    True, but I wish people would treat the veil issue on its own, instead of complicating it with unnecessary ideas about another party's religious views.

From a liberty-preserving point of view, one could argue that people should be allowed to wear these veils because it is part of their belief system (in this case religion) to do so. Just because it is not Qur'anically required doesn't mean that society can justify banning it because it will still have a big impact on the women who wear veils. And who are we / the de facto secular State to tell people what their personal religious views are.

Don't ban the veil for Muslims; don't ban it for individuals who desire to wear one, whether it is required by Islam is a whole other debate (though I would agree with you that it is not - women are not meant to be veiled during Hajj, the Muslim pilgrimage ffs!).
    From a liberty-preserving point of view, it's time to start challenging and scrutinizing this ideology (along with other religions that have so much grip over peoples lives,) in open debate, and within a short time it'd be exposed as a myth, and this ridiculous garment laughed off the planet.

Then we would all be more free.

I don't want to see it banned, I think it would be un-policable (is that a word?!) a waste of police time, and it's not how we do things in Britain. But come on.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8481617.stm

Yes.

I believe the face veil is an unnecessary Scarlet letter that doesn't belong in British society. Some women may want to wear it but I only see it as a restriction and an impairment on all women who wear it.

It disputes a value that women worked hard to fight for tens of years ago and I abhor it.

What do you think?
    No. The women who do wear it, do so by their own free will. Those who are forced are just doing it for the wrong reason. Doing this would destroy the thing British society is known for. Although I do think the covering of the entire face bar the eyes is a bit excessive.

ReputationRep:
    I'm muslim and it should not be banned, i agree that veils should not be worn at work, hospitals and especially at schools. But if a woman feels comfortable wearing one whilst walking down the high street then its fine. I do believe that the quran does say to only cover the bosom and not the face, but it shouldn't be banned, just a "soft ban" as someone stated above at work etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGate212)
    I think, NoOne has the right to force something which is not harmful for society.and i think that this is not harmful.Women should be respected in that.
    One problem arises when Muslim women come to their senses and decide to remove the veil. Even in Europe, women who have decided to remove the veil have been raped or beaten by Islamic men, for doing so.

Another problem will occur if we let this culture proliferate, so that it becomes the norm in a society. Then what will happen is the Imman's with too much of a voice in communities start insisting on it, and other women are pressured/forced in to wearing one. Then, under proper Islamic rule, you end up with bearded Islamists and religious police going around enforcing it, (just look at Saudi Arabia or the Taliban's treatment of women.)

Not something I want to see happen to any potential female children/grandchildren of mine.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with any stance against Islam. I am glad the french are showing backbone and banning this vulgar Islamic attire. It is offensive to us Europeans and I believe it is time that we started to take control of our own society.

It matters not whther a muslim is born here or not, this is our society not theirs and it is for us to dictitate who and what we allow in our society. Muslims thrive on the freedoms we award them and they thrive on our tolerance. It is exactly our tolernce tht is destroying us.

I personally cringe when I see some clown walking down my street wearing this disgusting tomb of oppression and it angers me to see my neighbour hood turning into some middle eastern bizzarre.

I dont like Islamic culture, I dont want to live in anything that resembles one of the horrible muslims nations that these very muslims run from.

keep europe european, If I wanted to live in some backwater swamp I would move to pakistan. However, I dont want to live in some third world hole and niether do I want that for my future children.

If muslim want to live here then they should only be allowed to do so if they live moderately, unseen and unheard.

I find the full veil offensive as it treats me as some sort of rapist. Maybe in islamic countries it is ok to rape a unvieled women but here we tret women as equals

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens in Pakistan when women refuse to wear hijabs and viels

I can post many more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EthnicScot)
    This is what happens in Pakistan when women refuse to wear hijabs and viels

<snip>

I can post many more
    Since when were we talking about Pakistan? I thought we were talking about France and Britain banning the burka?

What a third world country does to its women is completely irrelevant to the topic. It is truly shocking though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by algérie_mon_amour)
    No, it should not be banned for the benefit of both sides.

How dare you call Whabis/Salafis non-sunnis!~

Although WAHABI is a word that enemies have made up! Do you know who is Abdel-Wahab? well if you did then I don't think you'd write that.

Salafis are folowers of Al-Salaf! so you call them non-sunnis?!!

I advise you to go and teach yourself some lessons about such terms before you use them !
    Errh, perhaps because their not Sunni. Their a modern movement which rejects the supremacy of the four traditional Madhabs, and have very different beliefs from Sunni Muslims.

And I know who the Salafi were. The question is. Do you? Wahabi have nothing to do with the original Salafis. Just because they use the same name doesn't make it so.

I suggest you read up about what they actually believe and who they are before swinging into their rescue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Since when were we talking about Pakistan? I thought we were talking about France and Britain banning the burka?

What a third world country does to its women is completely irrelevant to the topic. It is truly shocking though.
    The way pakistanis treat women who refuse to the veil is enough to ban this ridiulous garbage bag here in Europe.
    Islamic prctices such as the full viel should not be tolerated. If women want to wear please feel free to catch the next plane to pakistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

I think he's just referring to the general fact that the veil is an misogynistic invention used to oppress women.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.