Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been asked to do a phone interview from Leeds, but I'm completely not interested because I don't want to go there. I would choose both the offers I've already got over Leeds anyway. I only really applied there to fill up a space.

If they'd just sent me an interview invitation on track or even just a general interview invite I could say quite easily that I couldn't come, but the fact that they've already suggested a phone interview makes it difficult. I can't come up with any reason other than simply because I'm not interested in going to Leeds as to why I can't do it (without getting into ridiculous fibs like our home phone and everyone's mobile is simultaneously not working...:rolleyes: ).

I mean, I could do it anyway, but it seems kind of pointless when I don't care about the outcome and the thought of it makes me feel genuinely sick (I'm a bit phone phobic :o: )

Anyway, any ideas? What should I do? Any slightly more classy ways of explaining I'm not interested in an interview because I don't want to go there?

ReputationRep:
    Man up and tell them you've got better offers and no longer want to be considered? They'd prefer than than you ************.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just be a grown up and tell the truth? Jesus, do you think they are really going to care that much that one applicant has better offers, there admissions staff aren't going to get upset y'no

ReputationRep:
    Withdraw your application?
    And just tell them politely if they do phone up that you've withdrawn your application but thanks for the interview invite :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Do the interview and view it as practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeltaQ)
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Either email them and let them know or let them know when they phone up. Be polite about it, kindly suggest that you'd like to withdraw your application, and they'll be fine with it Thank them for the interviews and consideration so far too

ReputationRep:
    dont answer!!

ReputationRep:
    Why are some people such babies? Either withdraw your application or email them and tell them you no longer wish to continue your application there. They're not going to cry over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    Why don't you just be a grown up and tell the truth?
    Well, that's what I'm trying to do. I'm just not quite sure how to put it. I'd hate to come across as not being polite.

(Original post by DarkWhite)
    Either email them and let them know or let them know when they phone up. Be polite about it, kindly suggest that you'd like to withdraw your application, and they'll be fine with it Thank them for the interviews and consideration so far too
    Thanks for the helpful advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Well, that's what I'm trying to do. I'm just not quite sure how to put it. I'd hate to come across as not being polite.
    "Hello admissions? Yeah I've been offered a telephone interview on <date>, but I've had some other offers from universities that I'm really interested in and will be my firm and insurance choices, so I think the interview would be better offered to another applicant"

They'll respect you a lot more for saving the hassle. Although why you care about being polite/respectful to a person you will never meet over the phone and will only ever talk to for 30 seconds I can't get my head around.

ReputationRep:
    An interview like that would be great experience, especially if you're phone phobic. You'll almost definitely have to have a phone interview at some point in your life, and if you don't care about the outcome of this one - it seems like it would be great practise.

But, if you don't want to do it - ring them up (better)/write a polite email, thanking them for their offer but explaining that you already have an unconditional offer from another university and that you have withdrawn your leeds application entirely. They're honestly not going to care.

ReputationRep:
    Do it anyway, even if you don't care about the outcome. It's good interview practice and is certainly a variety on the usual interviews that might be invaluable in the future.

ReputationRep:
    interview are generally good experiences so i'd personally go through with it.

other than that you can just withdraw your application on ucas from them. as soon as i had offers from where i wanted, i just withdrew the applications to the other universities, so i didnt have to waste my time on them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nico_SU)
    Do it anyway, even if you don't care about the outcome. It's good interview practice and is certainly a variety on the usual interviews that might be invaluable in the future.
    Ditto

ReputationRep:
    As everyone has said..
    Just ithdraw the application.

I did it last week, was easy, fired off an e-mail to UCL chem admissions tutor just saying i'd wathdrawn my application and wouldn't be coming to the interview.

It was simple as that i got a polite email back just acknowledging it and that was it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeltaQ)
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Why are some people such babies? Either withdraw your application or email them and tell them you no longer wish to continue your application there. They're not going to cry over it.

Of course they will weep losing one applicant of thousands, OP you will be responable for mass suicide I hope you can live with that. Well can you?

ReputationRep:
    Just withdraw your application from UCAS, and if they still go ahead with the interview and ring you up, just say thank you for the consideration and interview, but you have already withdrawn your application. If they ask why, just tell them that you have already been given an unconditional from another university and you would like to accept their offer. They are not going to be upset or angry about it, if anything they may have God knows how many more interviews to get through and my be relieved that they are even closer to finishing.

ReputationRep:
    just say you have already accepted a place at another uni?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.