Turn on thread page Beta

Best route to the Big4? watch

Announcements

Well my current two options (assuming i am accepeted at newcastle) are as follows...

Take a 4 year BA degree in "Business, Accounting & Finance" at Newcastle university
    The course will give me over 200 days of practical work at PwC offices and by the end of the course i will have completed all of my Professional stages of teh ACA

or

Take a 3 year Bsc in "Accounting & Finance" at Bristol University
    The course is from a more respected university, and is Much closer to everyone i know. However there is no links to work placements and securing a job at one of the big4 would be much more difficult...

Which is overall a better route do u think

ReputationRep:
    oh i thought this was about football.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by boodeny)
    Well my current two options (assuming i am accepeted at newcastle) are as follows...

Take a 4 year BA degree in "Business, Accounting & Finance" at Newcastle university
    The course will give me over 200 days of practical work at PwC offices and by the end of the course i will have completed all of my Professional stages of teh ACA

or

Take a 3 year Bsc in "Accounting & Finance" at Bristol University
    The course is from a more respected university, and is Much closer to everyone i know. However there is no links to work placements and securing a job at one of the big4 would be much more difficult...

Which is overall a better route do u think
    obviously option since whatever happens work experience is always going to be best and you also get parts of the ACA done. this is pretty much a no brainer unless the uni for the first is like 70 places below the second.

ReputationRep:
    i'd take the newcastle route

ReputationRep:
    Well, for career prospects in general (aside from the big 4) - The Bristol course would be much better.

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle - work experience is everything these days

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd go for Bristol and then apply like everyone else- nothing can stop you from getting a job if you're good enough, plus you'll have a respectable degree from a very good university. Not to mention you'll be on a graduate salary one year earlier.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, if you really want to work for PwC, go for Newcastle; it's the logical choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suffix)
    Meh, if you really want to work for PwC, go for Newcastle; it's the logical choice.
    I don't think it's that straightforward if he wants to work in London. I saw a lot of Bristol students during my assessment centres with the Big 4 at their London offices, I didn't see anyone from Newcastle. Could be a geographical thing, but I know a lot of people from Bristol who are working at the Big 4. I'd suggest going to Bristol over Newcastle, impressing the Big 4 during your undergrad and getting a spring/summer internship, and then getting a full time job. If you're good enough and have prepared thoroughly, there's nothing stopping you from getting it. Oh, and you don't do 1 years work experience at PwC which is badly paid anyway, and thus you graduate quicker.

ReputationRep:
    i'd go with the option of not doing an accountancy and finance degree but then thats obviously not an option for you

ReputationRep:
    Bristol anyday.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol.....done that route myself

ReputationRep:
    Bristol obviously, any monkey can organize work experience

ReputationRep:
    errr nooo, work experience if difficult to get. If you go for bristol, you'll have to make sure u get an internship during your second year, then its not going to be too much of a problem securing a job after uni.

ReputationRep:
    newcastle route is the best,. now a days you not only need a 2.1 3 a levels but work experience aswell

you wont regret doing the newcastle route

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.