Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out with this question (it's on behalf of a friend).

The temperature inside the fridge is 2deg cel. its stands in a kitchen which is 22'C. in the course of an hour 95kJ of heat are transferrred from the interior of the fridge to the kitchen. As a result of this heat transfer what is the entropy change of the contents of the fridge and the kitchen assuming the heat transfer is reversible.
    Thanks a lot for your help, I tried this myself and could not get anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    Use

\Delta S = \frac{dQ}{T}

where  \Delta S = entropy change
     dQ = heat energy transferred (in joules)
     T = Temp of object (in this case the fridge) in Kelvin

This is valid for a reversible process occuring at constant temp.

Don't forget that in the question the info provided is actually  \frac{dQ}{dt} as it tells us how much heat was transferred over one hour...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spread_logic_not_hate)
    Use

\Delta S = \frac{dQ}{T}

where  \Delta S = entropy change
     dQ = heat energy transferred (in joules)
     T = Temp of object (in this case the fridge) in Kelvin

This is valid for a reversible process occuring at constant temp.

Don't forget that in the question the info provided is actually  \frac{dQ}{dt} as it tells us how much heat was transferred over one hour...
    Ah thanks a lot! Didn't notice that last point either, cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.