Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Not drinking/clubbing at uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink (at all, i'm muslim) and don't go clubbing etc, it's not my idea of an ideal night out personally. But one way or another i'm going to be moving out for uni come september and i'm a bit worried about how this is going to affect my social life. I find it easy to make friends and love meeting nwe people and everything but i'm kind of worried that i'm going to end up isolating myself, i've seen it happen before where friends would start to become distant as they spent more time out drinking with each other. Even if that happened i'd like to think that i'll stick to my beliefs (not just religious) and not drink or anything. But yeah, is this likely to be a problem for me? I would;'t be so worried if i was going to be living at home.

ReputationRep:
    You can go out and not drink, there's a fair few people I know that do it.

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be a problem? Surely there will be other muslims you'll meet whilst at uni who don't engage in drinking or clubbing, so I guess you could all just be totally sober together?

ReputationRep:
    dw, just have a good time and dont drink. You are doing medicine anyway so there are bound to be lots of muslims/asians who would understand.

My cousin goes clubbing a little but he dosent drink or do drugs, he finds it quite boring tbh but he tends to go just to let loose (as he does med also)

actually, youll be so swamped in work you wont have time to club anyway !

ReputationRep:
    for crying out loud, search function, use it

there was a thread very similar to this like 2 days ago

:mad:

p.s. what -wss said.

ReputationRep:
    I don't doubt there'll be a lot of other asians and muslims who understand, I just tend to find it harder to make friends with other asians for some reason I know that I don't need to drink to go out and have a good time, it just gets boring pretty quick with something like clubbing. Ahh well, thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    I don't drink (at all, i'm muslim) and don't go clubbing etc, it's not my idea of an ideal night out personally. But one way or another i'm going to be moving out for uni come september and i'm a bit worried about how this is going to affect my social life. I find it easy to make friends and love meeting nwe people and everything but i'm kind of worried that i'm going to end up isolating myself, i've seen it happen before where friends would start to become distant as they spent more time out drinking with each other. Even if that happened i'd like to think that i'll stick to my beliefs (not just religious) and not drink or anything. But yeah, is this likely to be a problem for me? I would;'t be so worried if i was going to be living at home.
    TO be honest you need to become much more responsible if your gonna o clubbing etc... your bound to get mixed up in drinking cuz thats one of the main things people do.. otherwise why would you go(besides dancing/finding sum bum gals) you wil be suprised tho as to how many muslims do drink when ur in uni...

ReputationRep:
    btwizzle

would you say that you don't drink purely because you are a muslim?

cause i was thinking, i don't think i've ever done anything purely because of my religion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by analk)
    TO be honest you need to become much more responsible if your gonna o clubbing etc... your bound to get mixed up in drinking cuz thats one of the main things people do.. otherwise why would you go(besides dancing/finding sum bum gals) you wil be suprised tho as to how many muslims do drink when ur in uni...
    Lol, i doubt it, i'm not that naive Not sure what you mean about becoming more responsible. But that's what i mean about clubbing - not much point doing it without drinking really, it's gets boring quickly, much rather just grab something to eat and wander about with mates having a laugh

ReputationRep:
    If you make an effort to know them as people, and suggest things like the cinema or w/e, then you'll be fine. If you just dismiss them all as 'drinkers' that are gonna ditch you then yes it will be hard to make and maintain friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by analk)
    He'd probably go so he can be with his friends. I'm Muslim and don't drink either, but I've always gone to parties and clubs with friends (even though I'm not a big fan of dancing) cos it's just a chance to get away from work and be with your friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    btwizzle

would you say that you don't drink purely because you are a muslim?

cause i was thinking, i don't think i've ever done anything purely because of my religion

I have absolutely no doubt that if I wasn't muslim I would drink. But my rents kept an extremely tight leash on my social life (and tbh pretty much still do) and that prevented me from starting to drink. But eventually I had the opportunity and decided that I just didn't want to, if getting drunk was something that appealed to me thatn tbh i'd probably be drunk right now lol, regardless of religion.

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no doubt that if I wasn't muslim I would drink. But my rents kept an extremely tight leash on my social life (and tbh pretty much still do) and that prevented me from starting to drink. But eventually I had the opportunity and decided that I just didn't want to, if getting drunk was something that appealed to me thatn tbh i'd probably be drunk right now lol, regardless of religion.
    i see

ReputationRep:
    I know people who do it and I know people who don't do it because of the same reasons as the OP and that they feel they need some sort of drink.

It's a surreal experience being sober when most people around you are crazy as hell and you notice people bump into you or spill drinks alot, but the high of dancing in a group can often satisfy you needs. Just that when the music is terrible you probably won't go to that even any more.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i doubt it, i'm not that naive Not sure what you mean about becoming more responsible. But that's what i mean about clubbing - not much point doing it without drinking really, it's gets boring quickly, much rather just grab something to eat and wander about with mates having a laugh
    I know exactly how you feel, I'd rather get a movie, some pizza and my friends over than go clubbing, but my friends LOVE clubbing so we've come to an agreement: if i go clubbing with them, we should spend a night relaxing with a film and such.

Plus, you will have friends who love clubbing but they will want to take a break from it once in a while but still go out somewhere, so maybe then you could do what you want to do and just grab something to eat.

ReputationRep:
    The best bits about going out are dancing, meeting people and having a great night. I havent got to uni yet but its supposed to be 'THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE', :eek:

And yeah i dont plan on drinking OR smoking, dad quit that. And well with drinking - i dont want to end up doing something crazy (i ususally do nevertheless) dont think i have the willpower to stop before things get a little fuzzy. ^.^

Was there a reason to move? If you're close by your friends then there's no problem?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't drink at uni either, all soft drinks or non-alcoholic versions (so it would appear from a distance that I was drinking ^^).

My friends were great about it. I found more entertainment in watching them get messy and have to deal with the hangover the next morning anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Not drinking at uni is absolutely fine - a few of my friends did it - but the risk comes when individuals exclude themselves because of it. Just as long as you still do social things, you still go out (even if not to clubs) or take part in things, you'll be fine. But some people that I know of ended up avoiding any situation which may include alcohol just because it may have included alcohol, which meant that they were missing out on quite a bit of social time with people.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to double post :p:
    But you can have a drink without getting drunk. I quite enjoy drinking, but I quite like drinking for the act, without necessarily having a final aim to get drunk. Not wanting to get drunk =/= not drinking full-stop.

I don't mean to question your beliefs, but it was just something that I'd noticed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doodahdoo)
    Sorry to double post :p:
    But you can have a drink without getting drunk. I quite enjoy drinking, but I quite like drinking for the act, without necessarily having a final aim to get drunk. Not wanting to get drunk =/= not drinking full-stop.

I don't mean to question your beliefs, but it was just something that I'd noticed.
    I know, but i wouldn't want one thing to lead to another lol, I've seen drunk friends do pretty crazy things and not in a good way and there's perfectly great non-alcoholic drinks around anyway. Plus this way I don't risk being killed by my parents/ stricter muslim friends anyway

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.