Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by saab_101)
    I don't drink (at all, i'm muslim) and don't go clubbing etc, it's not my idea of an ideal night out personally. But one way or another i'm going to be moving out for uni come september and i'm a bit worried about how this is going to affect my social life. I find it easy to make friends and love meeting nwe people and everything but i'm kind of worried that i'm going to end up isolating myself, i've seen it happen before where friends would start to become distant as they spent more time out drinking with each other. Even if that happened i'd like to think that i'll stick to my beliefs (not just religious) and not drink or anything. But yeah, is this likely to be a problem for me? I would;'t be so worried if i was going to be living at home.
    Oh don't worry, you'll certainly not be the only one. Universities are large and have a big variety of different people.

I don't drink, and I'm not a fan of clubbing, but I still have other ways of meeting people and making friends. I'm sure you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, not drinking hasn't affected my social life at Uni; people are often surprised that I've never drunk, but respect my choice. When I came to university, like you, I wasn't into clubbing/dancing; but that didn't exclude me from the group; if I wasn't up to going out, I could still go to pre-drinks (without drinking). Also, with going out, I didn't overly enjoy it. That said, the last two times I went out, I've actually enjoyed it - perhaps you're not into clubbing because you've not had the chance to get into it?

If people treat you differently for not drinking, then I'd suggest you find new friends that respect your decision and treat you the same anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.